Rear Auto Door Locks Failing (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a 97 FZJ and the second row auto doors locks are not locking or unlocking all the way. I don't have a fob so just use the lock/unlock button. The front locks lock and unlock fine but the rears have become inconsistent. They do move when I push the button but more than half the time now they don't actuate completely, either locking or unlocking.

I recently had body work done on the left front including the front driver's door. I don't know if they removed the door or not but this began occurring shortly after I got the truck back. I can't imagine it is related but thought I would mention it.

I know each lock has its own actuator, and since both rear are failing, it would be weird for both to fail at the same time. I believe my battery is fine but thought perhaps if it were worn it might not be enough voltage to unlock all the doors.

Anyone have experience with this issue?

Thanks!

I have a 97 FZJ and the second row auto doors locks are not locking or unlocking all the way. I don't have a fob so just use the lock/unlock button. The front locks lock and unlock fine but the rears have become inconsistent. They do move when I push the button but more than half the time now they don't actuate completely, either locking or unlocking.

I recently had body work done on the left front including the front driver's door. I don't know if they removed the door or not but this began occurring shortly after I got the truck back. I can't imagine it is related but thought I would mention it.

I know each lock has its own actuator, and since both rear are failing, it would be weird for both to fail at the same time. I believe my battery is fine but thought perhaps if it were worn it might not be enough voltage to unlock all the doors.

Anyone have experience with this issue?

Thanks!

This is a common failure point. Search "lock motors" as there are a number of posts addressing this.

Just to reiterate, there are a number good write ups. The motors are available off amazon as a 4 or 5 pack.
Use some coarse sandpaper when prepping the new motor shafts and get the lay lines longitudinal with the shafts. Scrubb the inside of the gears well too.

Last edited:
I had to replace both of my rear door lock actuators within a year of each other. Not very hard to do. Bought mine from Rock Auto.

When you open it up, check that this part is not cracked- my motor was fine, it was this lever arm that cracked.

Just to reiterate, there are a number good write ups. The motors are available off amazon as a 4 or 5 pack.
Use some coarse sandpaper when prepping the new motor shafts and get the lay lines longitudinal with the shafts. Scrubb the inside of the gears well too.

I had to replace both of my rear door lock actuators within a year of each other. Not very hard to do. Bought mine from Rock Auto.
The motors were my first guess but I thought it weird that they both started failing at the same time, like same day. It just seems too coincidental. I thought perhaps if the voltage was too low, they might not actuate the whole way every time. I'll order a couple and see. Thanks.

They age out. All four of mine quit over a week.

Just be thankful the rear actuators are even available new. Fronts are gonzo.

Just be thankful the rear actuators are even available new. Fronts are gonzo.
I found the fronts on Specter Offroad but they are about $450 each. Cruiserparts has them used for L $160 and R $120.

Thanks

I found the fronts on Specter Offroad but they are about $450 each. Cruiserparts has them used for L $160 and R $120.

Thanks

I guarantee they’re not OEM unless they have NOS.

Cruiser parts can eat a…

I guarantee they’re not OEM unless they have NOS.

Cruiser parts can eat a…
Yeah, I've posted about Cruiser Parts before and I'm more inclined to feed them their own ;) I do have had excellent experiences with Specter. and they list by part number. At that price, it wouldn't surprise me if they were OEM but doesn't matter, not going to pay it. Thanks

It's a whole diff ball of wax for a vendor to list a part and actually have it to ship. There's a chasm between letter of intent and a signed contract.

The factory LHD (if that matters) front door lock actuators have been NLA for years.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom