Rear 1/4 chop (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Dude that is Fawkin sweet!!! I think our rigs are pretty much twins now Keith :steer:

Dylan

P.s. You Nevada boys up for a snow run?

We have a run scheduled for next Saturday on Steve's loop. Could be snow, could be ice, sure to be fun. :D

thanks y'all,
I kinda miss the woody, but oh well. It actually doesnt look all to bad with the full panels on the other side, but its too late now.
I like it well enough. Plus, as our AC friend Dyaln said...were like twins now!
Im still hemmin and hawin about which approach to take with the bumper.

Is there any way to MAKE spindles as opposed to buying a set? Id like to not HAVE to buy them as theyre pretty spendy in light of my new monthly note I acquired...

K

Allright, I admit it looks better. Good work man!

thanks Desertlake...
Where in the hell are your build pics!?
I wanna see more of that avatar you have going on!

K

This is his first one, so he did 95% of the cutting, maybe 30% of the sanding, my wife did the rest of the sanding. I did all of the dremel/routing on the block to make room for weights (as bad as I was at it, I'm glad I didn't give him a try - tough to explain to child protective services if he loses a finger)...next year it's going to mostly be on him.

Was originally planning to have him use the bandsaw, then I sobered up.:D

Kids these days...I shaped my first car with a draw knife, and filled it with molten lead from the camp stove that I still camp with - lead spatters and all. Later cars used .45 bullets for weight, I think we'll go back to that next year, easier to drill round holes than chisel/rout a big cavity.

So here is a pic of what Im thinkin for a rear bumper.
Crude sketch, but you get the idea.
I was just informed of a source for spindels....atozfabrication...
42.00 for the whole shebang. they have tons of other fab stuff to make life a bit easier as well.
If you guys see anything that I might want to change about this, please feel free to tell me.
I have this same thing up in the 60 forum.

K
rearbumper0007.jpg

This is his first one, so he did 95% of the cutting, maybe 30% of the sanding, my wife did the rest of the sanding. I did all of the dremel/routing on the block to make room for weights (as bad as I was at it, I'm glad I didn't give him a try - tough to explain to child protective services if he loses a finger)...next year it's going to mostly be on him.

Was originally planning to have him use the bandsaw, then I sobered up.:D

Kids these days...I shaped my first car with a draw knife, and filled it with molten lead from the camp stove that I still camp with - lead spatters and all. Later cars used .45 bullets for weight, I think we'll go back to that next year, easier to drill round holes than chisel/rout a big cavity.

Sand those wheels down and put a little lubricant on the axles (they still use those nails?). If it's weighted in the right spot, you'll have a winner on your hands. Pop and I modeled ours after Indy cars as I recall. They rolled fast too!

Sand those wheels down and put a little lubricant on the axles (they still use those nails?). If it's weighted in the right spot, you'll have a winner on your hands. Pop and I modeled ours after Indy cars as I recall. They rolled fast too!

Same nails, maybe a little worse. Offset/crooked heads, burrs, etc. The dremel is our friend. That and the $10 set of Harbor Freight diamond files.

Mine were very aerodynamic, my dad blew smoke through a soda straw to do a wind tunnel type test. I don't smoke anymore, my son's car looks more like a hummer.

So here is a pic of what Im thinkin for a rear bumper.
Crude sketch, but you get the idea.
I was just informed of a source for spindels....atozfabrication...
42.00 for the whole shebang. they have tons of other fab stuff to make life a bit easier as well.
If you guys see anything that I might want to change about this, please feel free to tell me.
I have this same thing up in the 60 forum.

K
I like it. Almost exactly like the 4+ bumper for the FJ40. I'd suggest making the jerry can holder more basket like so it could be used for other stuff when you didn't need to haul extra gas. And add a mount on the side of the basket for your hi-lift/shovel.

4Plus 60 series tow Bumper. :eek: I thought the FJ40 bumper was $$$$$$.

Last edited:
I like it. Almost exactly like the 4+ bumper for the FJ40. I'd suggest making the jerry can holder more basket like so it could be used for other stuff when you didn't need to haul extra gas. And add a mount on the side of the basket for your hi-lift/shovel.

My first car cost less than that, and it had two bumpers!

Nice "crude sketch" by the way, my drafting looks worse.
Curious - I've never used a spare carrier, is there some sort of stop to prevent it from swinging all the way around?

NO CRAP! Those Fing bumpers are EXPENSIVE in any variety.
I hear what youre saying about making a basket type thing for the cans...
Thats a good idea.
I ordered the spinles last night and will hopefully be here for the weekend so i can get a better idea of what needs to happen for it.
I will hopefully be able to build this thing myself for less than 500.00. That would be a FAR CRY from the stuff advertised.

Thanks Rusty!

K

That thing looks really fawking clean!
I had this picture in my head that it was a rust bucket like the rest of em out there!

Nice man!

K

I can see through the front fenders and the rear corners, otherwise the news has been good. I -think- I've only got two rusty body mounts.

Only surface rust on the roof! :bounce:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom