Rear 1/4 chop (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I started the rear 1/4 chop this weekend!
Not that hard, but its a LOT OF FAWKING work.
Im finding more rust than anticipated, and am having to do more cutting and replacing than I thought!
Pretty much how it always works out.

Here are some pics!

K
quarterchop 001.jpg
quarterchop 002.jpg
quarterchop 003.jpg

Busted out the SAW!
quarterchop 005.jpg
quarterchop 006.jpg

Here's the new line!
Im thinking I like it.
Ive been able to keep the panels pretty straight welding too, amazingly enough.
quarterchop 008.jpg
quarterchop 009.jpg
quarterchop 010.jpg

Good job Keith! Looks like your "new line" will be perfect for your new rear bumper side panels!

Looking good dude. Can't wait to see it in person.

Jack

Thanks gents!
Looking like Im gonna have to pretty much rebuild the panel that I got from FallonDan...The rust on the inside is making for really THIN material to weld on from the outside, and its killing the overall integrity....Those wheel wells are gonna be the BIGGEST headache. If all I had to do was the rear 1/4's Id be gold...However...
If youre gonna DO IT, may as well DO IT RIGHT!
So I put a call into MetalMasters today. A sheet of 18G 4ft x 5ft is 40 bucks. Not too bad, and it shoould be enough to do the whole chop on both sides.
This is gonna be interesting.

K

Did you decide to build your own bumper?

Yeah, I have more time than I do money, and Im figuring I can do it cheaper myself than buying one. Im diggin a nice simple design. I have some 2x4 stock that I got for free, so Im thinking I might try to utilize that if I can. the only porblems with that is, getting the tire carrier out away from the body with the stock only being 2in deep...well see!

Im going by the seat of my pants on this whole thing, so Im not too srue how all this is gonna work out just yet.

Im a lil scared to be quite honest!:eek:

K

DON'T YOU DARE SCRATCH THE WOOD GRAIN!

Keep it rocking Bro, looking sweet.

ken :beer::beer::beer::beer::beer::beer:

went to Metal Masters today!
That place is pretty sweet!
Got a 4x5 sheet of 18g for 45 bucks with tax and all...
Checked onthe price of 4x4x 3/16 stock for the rear bumper...9 bucks a foot, and Ill need 6ft to build the bumper primary (not including the wrap around).
Im diggin em!
Ill hopefully be able to get the rust under control on that side this week/weekend, and get the rest of the chop done, or mostly done and sealed up with new steel...

Thanks for the encouragement!

K

Well if the bumper turns out as well as the other stuff you have done, it should be a beautiful thing.

Jack

Well if the bumper turns out as well as the other stuff you have done, it should be a beautiful thing.

Jack

:eek::D

thanks jack!

K

RUST B GONE!
Got the rot done today.
Took quite a while to get it all matched up, but all in all I think it was a success thus far.
18 Gauge seems to be a great material for doing patch panels. Its pliable enough that you can shape it with relative ease, and thick enough where it doesnt burn through with a spark of the torch.

Before and after!
quarterchop 006.jpg
quarterchop 018.jpg

During
quarterchop 011.jpg
quarterchop 012.jpg
quarterchop 014.jpg

A few more...
Gonna try and seal up the actual quarter chop tomorrow.
Not quite sure as to how im going to accomplish it, but Ill figure something out.
Im learning that I can sleep better when I take things ONE STEP AT A TIME!
quarterchop 013.jpg
quarterchop 016.jpg
quarterchop 017.jpg

I feel SOOOO much better now that the GAPING HOLE is gone!
I probably shed about 5 lbs off the rig when I opened that thing up as there was about 5 lbs of dried MUD packed in there!:eek:
What a MESS!
Cant wait to see how it comes out!

K

I feel SOOOO much better now that the GAPING HOLE is gone!
I probably shed about 5 lbs off the rig when I opened that thing up as there was about 5 lbs of dried MUD packed in there!:eek:
What a MESS!
Cant wait to see how it comes out!

K

Looking great Keith.

Are you going to use some Seam Sealer on the inside? It's the factory type stuff that works really well. You can get it at any auto body supply store.

Can't wait to see the bumper.

Jack

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom