Random lose of engine power at +70mph (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Do too a medical emergency for a family member, I have been driving my 2001 LX a lot on the interstate for the past 3 weeks. I have noticed from at random times at 70mph or more the engine feels like it suddenly loses approximately 25% of its power. When it loses power, I feel no shuttering, no noises, no weird smells or extra vibrations in the gear shift lever. The engine has not died or left me stranded.

I bought it from the original owner with 107,000 miles and it currently has 130,000 miles with no check engine light or codes. Has been approximately 70f to 80f, high humidity, sea level, flat interstate and AC on. Tried all different grade fuels from different stations. From 87 octane to 93 no-ethanol. Mostly has happened at dark but, I have been doing most of my running at dark.

The power loss normally doesn't happen until after 30 minutes into my trip. Trip is normally between 1 to 1.5 hours.

Work performed on it in the last 20,000 miles (so I assume these aren’t the problems):

1.) Replaced all 8 spark plugs with Toyota long life plugs.

2.) Replaced all 8 coil packs with Denso

3.) Replaced the MAF sensor with Toyota (because I was randomly having an engine stalling problem when accelerating from a stop. No engine codes but, the Toyota dealership finally determine it was a slow to respond MAF sensor)

4.) Replaced the 2 upstream O2 sensors with Denso

5.) Replaced idler pulley with Toyota (because the pulley was making a grinding noise)

6.) Replaced alternator with a 250a DC Power Alternator (because I have high power stereo system)

7.) Replaced starting battery

8.) All fluids have been changed (oil, transmission, chunks, transfer case, brake fluid & etc.)

9.) Timing belt changed.

10.) Air filter changed

11.) Fuel filter by the engine changed with Toyota filter.

12.) Fuel pump & sock in the gas tank changed with Denso.

13.) Induction system was been cleaned by Toyota dealership.

14.) AHC fluid and globes have been changed.

15.) Drive shaft has been greased.

16.) Front and rear brakes and fluid have been serviced and changed.

17.) Washed the outside of the radiator & changed anti-freeze.

18.) Valve covers are not leaking and have been retorqued.

19.) No noticeable exhaust leaks.

20.) Gas cap replaced with Toyota cap. No hissing or gurgling when I stop to refill. I normally don't get below a 1/4 of a tank either. I never overfill either.

What I haven’t done that might be causing my problem:

1.) Cam sensor (probably original)

2.) Fuel injectors (probably original) (other than running BK44 & seafoam fuel treatment through it after the problem began)

3.) Anything to do with the Cats, Charcoal filter and exhaust system (probably original)

4.) Downstream O2 sensors (probably original)

As you can tell, I don’t mind spending money on my baby because I plan on keeping her forever and I don’t mind light wrenching. I also know the parts are 20 years and would like to replace anything that might fail but, with my time being limited right now, I don’t want to spend time just replacing random parts.

So does anyone have any suggestions on what might be my problem? If so, I would appreciate it!!

Do too a medical emergency for a family member, I have been driving my 2001 LX a lot on the interstate for the past 3 weeks. I have noticed from at random times at 70mph or more the engine feels like it suddenly loses approximately 25% of its power. When it loses power, I feel no shuttering, no noises, no weird smells or extra vibrations in the gear shift lever. The engine has not died or left me stranded.

I bought it from the original owner with 107,000 miles and it currently has 130,000 miles with no check engine light or codes. Has been approximately 70f to 80f, high humidity, sea level, flat interstate and AC on. Tried all different grade fuels from different stations. From 87 octane to 93 no-ethanol. Mostly has happened at dark but, I have been doing most of my running at dark.

The power loss normally doesn't happen until after 30 minutes into my trip. Trip is normally between 1 to 1.5 hours.

Work performed on it in the last 20,000 miles (so I assume these aren’t the problems):

1.) Replaced all 8 spark plugs with Toyota long life plugs.

2.) Replaced all 8 coil packs with Denso

3.) Replaced the MAF sensor with Toyota (because I was randomly having an engine stalling problem when accelerating from a stop. No engine codes but, the Toyota dealership finally determine it was a slow to respond MAF sensor)

4.) Replaced the 2 upstream O2 sensors with Denso

5.) Replaced idler pulley with Toyota (because the pulley was making a grinding noise)

6.) Replaced alternator with a 250a DC Power Alternator (because I have high power stereo system)

7.) Replaced starting battery

8.) All fluids have been changed (oil, transmission, chunks, transfer case, brake fluid & etc.)

9.) Timing belt changed.

10.) Air filter changed

11.) Fuel filter by the engine changed with Toyota filter.

12.) Fuel pump & sock in the gas tank changed with Denso.

13.) Induction system was been cleaned by Toyota dealership.

14.) AHC fluid and globes have been changed.

15.) Drive shaft has been greased.

16.) Front and rear brakes and fluid have been serviced and changed.

17.) Washed the outside of the radiator & changed anti-freeze.

18.) Valve covers are not leaking and have been retorqued.

19.) No noticeable exhaust leaks.

20.) Gas cap replaced with Toyota cap. No hissing or gurgling when I stop to refill. I normally don't get below a 1/4 of a tank either. I never overfill either.

What I haven’t done that might be causing my problem:

1.) Cam sensor (probably original)

2.) Fuel injectors (probably original) (other than running BK44 & seafoam fuel treatment through it after the problem began)

3.) Anything to do with the Cats, Charcoal filter and exhaust system (probably original)

4.) Downstream O2 sensors (probably original)

As you can tell, I don’t mind spending money on my baby because I plan on keeping her forever and I don’t mind light wrenching. I also know the parts are 20 years and would like to replace anything that might fail but, with my time being limited right now, I don’t want to spend time just replacing random parts.

So does anyone have any suggestions on what might be my problem? If so, I would appreciate it!!

This is an interesting one. Do you have any issues with acceleration or just at higher speeds?

Have you plugged into techstream while on the highway experiencing these issues?

Last edited:
I seem to have no problem with acceleration. I don't have Techstream because I couldn't figure out how to Crack the code on my notebook.

I do have nice scanner that I could try. I don't know what APPS or TPS is?

When I put my hand on the automatic gear shift lever there is virtually no vibration at anytime. There used to be a little vibration in the lever before I changed out the coil packs, now it is as smooth as any new car.

The loss of power is sudden like you just took the cruise control off (but I am not using the cruise control). The power loss has happen around 10 times over the past 2 weeks and I am driving appx. 150 miles a day.

I have also changed out my EFI relay just in for good measure with a Toyota relay. And I changed out the Ignition rod just because I have read how others break.

I seem to have no problem with acceleration. I don't have Techstream because I couldn't figure out how to Crack the code on my notebook.

I do have nice scanner that I could try. I don't know what APPS or TPS is?

When I put my hand on the automatic gear shift lever there is virtually no vibration at anytime. There used to be a little vibration in the lever before I changed out the coil packs, now it is as smooth as any new car.

The loss of power is sudden like you just took the cruise control off (but I am not using the cruise control). The power loss has happen around 10 times over the past 2 weeks and I am driving appx. 150 miles a day.
That’s exactly how it feels when you have an APPS or TPS issue, but it’s weird that it’s only happening at high speed.

APPS = Accelerator Pedal Position Sensor
TPS = Throttle Position Sensor

My scangauge will give a readout for throttle position so yours probably will too. If the number drops suddenly when you experience your loss in power then that is your problem.

Further reading: TPS/APPS problems - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/tps-apps-problems.127474/

This definitely sounds like something for techstream to help ID. Watch throttle position reading and watch air/fuel trims for significant adjustments.

APPS is the accelerator pedal position sensor.

TPS is Throttle Position Sensor.

Thank you for the replies!!

I don't mind buying both the APPS and the TPS but, how hard are they to replace?

Thank you for the replies!!

I don't mind buying both the APPS and the TPS but, how hard are they to replace?

I think at this point trying to fix this issue with new parts you could have bought a nice new laptop to run techstream on. :)

Both are easy replacements with the APPS being slightly more work.

I believe a cheap used thinkpad ($100) is about 1/3 of the cost of the APPS sensor at current prices?

Last edited:
I have tried to install Techstream on a notebook and all I did was waste two or three days. I even made a post on this forum to buy someone's notebook so they could update theirs but, no one took me up on the offer.

Are these the two parts we are talking about replacing?

8945230140 Toyota SENSOR, THROTTLE POSITION (FOR E.F.I.) - https://partsouq.com/en/search/search?q=8945230140

Thanks again for your replies!

This exact thing has happened to me while towing across the country, maybe 2-3 times. No codes, completely random. I also have an 01 LX. I suspected the tranny and not the engine when it happened, perhaps dropping out and back into torque converter lockup very quickly. I can't be certain but i think it occurred only when I was in OD. Hasn't happened again in many months though.

For OP, any luck figuring it out?
Not yet but, it seems to be happening to a lessor degree in town too. So I have a complete Throttle Body ordered from CamelBack Toyota and it should be here on Tuesday. So hopefully I can install it this weekend.

I know this is probably overkill instead of just replacing the accelerator pedal position sensor or throttle position sensor but, I plan on keeping my 2001 LX forever and the electronics are now 20 years and have to be getting close to their end life. And from what I remember both sensors were like $350.00.

22030-50142 Throttle Body $472.81
22271-50042 Fuel Injection Throttle Body Mounting Gasket $19.61

I will let the forum know if this fixes or doesn't fix my problem.

If you have a way of monitoring things (torque pro for example), I would be checking fuel trims and trans/engine temp, as well as other items to note if there is anything obvious kicking up when the symptoms are encountered.

What up? Same exact issue here. 2002 LX 197,500 miles. Heading from Ohio to NC @ 70 mph without cruise on, always going up a hill, engine power drops off. Feels like cruise control kicking off. From that point, pushing the throttle down about 1/8-1/4 extra seems to reset the power. I was able to recreate the issue pretty consistently on the 12 hour trip and noted that it would not happen with cruise control on and only happened in the 65-75mph range with moderate engine load.

As soon as it happened I thought back to this thread. Definitely feels like a throttle position/input concern

I changed out my Throttle Body yesterday on my 2001 LX with 130,000 miles.

It took me about 2 hours & the hardest part was getting the old hoses disconnected. The change seems to have fixed my problem but, I have only driven it about 10 miles because I have to be home to take care of my son.

What I can tell you is that moving the old Throttle Body’s butterfly by hand it wasn’t smooth. It felt like steps in an old electrical motor. The new butterfly was very smooth moving it by hand. The old throttle body & gasket was a little dirty but, not bad. But, I cleaned the throttle body about 20,000 miles ago.

After changing all 8 coil packs, 8 spark plugs & fuel pump about 3,000 miles ago & the new Throttle Body, you can lay your hand on the automatic gear shift lever & it is completely viberation free anywhere you go in the throttle response. Just as smooth or smoother than a brand new car.

Interesting symptom. Sounds to me like a mechanical issue being initiated by an electrical/electronic issue, more so contact points possibly being loose due to constant resonance and/or vibration.I’ll start at visually inspecting ecu cable/wires then reseat them one at a time then test drive.

I changed out my Throttle Body yesterday on my 2001 LX with 130,000 miles.

It took me about 2 hours & the hardest part was getting the old hoses disconnected. The change seems to have fixed my problem but, I have only driven it about 10 miles because I have to be home to take care of my son.

What I can tell you is that moving the old Throttle Body’s butterfly by hand it wasn’t smooth. It felt like steps in an old electrical motor. The new butterfly was very smooth moving it by hand. The old throttle body & gasket was a little dirty but, not bad. But, I cleaned the throttle body about 20,000 miles ago.

After changing all 8 coil packs, 8 spark plugs & fuel pump about 3,000 miles ago & the new Throttle Body, you can lay your hand on the automatic gear shift lever & it is completely viberation free anywhere you go in the throttle response. Just as smooth or smoother than a brand new car.
Any update, is it still fixed? Mine just started doing this with 360k mi on it, most of the items you had previously replaced were just done on mine recently as well. I'm curious if the throttle body fixed it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom