Radiator choices other than CSF (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

HemiAlex

Long live the 2F
Supporting Vendor
GOLD Star
Threads
Website
yotaoilfilters.com
I purchased a CSF 2708 from amazon in 6/16. It didn’t age well. All the paint came off in the first year and it looks really rough. The other day it started leaking from the seam on the bottom. 40,000 miles later it’s done for.

I’m really disappointed in the product. I’ve decided not to get it repaired at this point. A $300 product shouldn’t be this terrible

I can do a 2 or 3 core champion or a mishimoto at this point. The Mishimoto is on the high side of what I want to spend but the warranty is great.

What would you all do?

31DA6437-7FD7-4B49-8C98-FBCF06D13117.jpeg

Last edited:
Don’t get the champion. It leaked pretty quickly, but since then I’ve read it needs to be grounded but I don’t totally think that’s the problem. I replaced it with the CSF. I feel like we are going around on a merry go round....maybe get the more expensive one?

Don’t get the champion. It leaked pretty quickly, but since then I’ve read it needs to be grounded but I don’t totally think that’s the problem. I replaced it with the CSF. I feel like we are going around on a merry go round....maybe get the more expensive one?

I purchased the 3 core champion in a move of desperation late last night.

I’ll have the old radiator torn out and waiting for this one. Then, I can have the CSF reconditioned at my leisure and maybe reinstall it. I really don’t like having the truck broken.

I like my Champion. I think with any product we buy if it fails sooner than expected we feel let down. Quality isn’t what is was in the past. As we all know it’s not about longevity anymore, it’s about having a product last through the warranty period and not a day longer. Some have a bad experience and never buy that product again. Just like you’ve had a bad CSF experience you get somebody who recommends a CSF. Like @evilorgoodtwin said it’s like being on a merry go round.

Last edited:
mine ran a little hotter with the champion from the get go, but not excessively. Some people have had great luck with them. It’s seems like a 50/50 crap shoot.

It looks like Ron Davis makes an aluminum radiator for a FJ60. Probably gonna spend some $$$, but it seems like they really will stand behind their product

mine ran a little hotter with the champion from the get go, but not excessively. Some people have had great luck with them. It’s seems like a 50/50 crap shoot.

I agree with this. I had no issues with the Champion radiators I used, but all have been in muscle cars, not vehicles that get bounced around off road. Like most things, I have heard also bad things about them.

Last edited:
I agree wit this. I had no issues with the Champion radiators I used, but all have been in muscle cars, not vehicles that get bounced around off road. Like most things, I have heard also bad things about them.

I've got a champion in my 6.1 roadrunner, but I don’t trust it the same way I trust my 60.

I will probably have one made next go round, the champion has a good warranty and good customer service. Problem is ths shipping fees from the east coast to get the warranty replacement.

Unfortunately, CSF only warranties the Radiator with 'proof of installation by a professional installer' ...

That being said, I've had my CSF in the 60 for 10 years now, paint still perfect, rad in great shape, but I used the one made specifically for the 60, without a trans fluid cooler, before CSF discontinued it. I was never happy with the one-size-fits-all unit for 60/62 that they went to. I too, if I ever need another one, will probably have a HD Brass Radiator made.

I will not use an Aluminum Radiator, I've seen too many issues with them being used with 2Fs. I know, I know, peeps are gonna blah, blah, blah they work great and if they've worked great for you, wonderful, here's a cupcake - just my experience sez otherwise. If you do use the Alum, I would switch coolant to Toyota Red.

The OEM aftermarket is available overseas, if somebody wanted to import a bunch :idea: @Racer65 ? Although it'd prolly be a $500 radiator...

16400-61090 was tipped off by @mattressking

Easily over $600 to my door.

My bad, it's a 3F rad.

Someone could import 50 of 'em ... :)

The best thing would be for someone to try and convince CSF Imports to do another run of the 2206 Radiators - they're 4-core heavy Duty all-brass and equal to the OE, IMHO ... At the time, around $300.

Last edited:
As of right now "when" this one leaks I will be at a little over the half way point of purchasing a custom radiator in shipping costs.
I am done with aluminum and like @Spike Strip said the aluminum lovers can have them.

My bad, it's a 3F rad.

Someone could import 50 of 'em ... :)

The best thing would be for someone to try and convince CSF Imports to do another run of the 2206 Radiators - they're 4-core heavy Duty all-brass and equal to the OE, IMHO ... At the time, around $300.

I can barely handle 50 oil filters. Radiators are out of my league.

Yeah, it would have to be a large Vendor who could negotiate a large order to keep prices down, then re-sell to other vendors, etc ... Ain't gonna happen.

The early CSF design would be the way to go, it's what all the aftermarket vendors like SOR, JTO, etc used to sell and there were never any problems with them. In fact, it's what MAFs engine builder recommend, at the time, over the Toyo rad.

The current CSF radiator offering reduces the core size a little to accommodate the trans cooler.

Since I have put $600 into the 2 radiators I’ve had to buy in the last 10k miles I think I would be ahead having gotten the OEM one from partsouq! Hindsight is 2020 and I didn’t know it was available. Now that we know, and with all the money we dump into these rigs, what’s a little more 😬

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom