Quick steering misalignment happened (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Driving home in my 77 a few days ago, it suddenly started to feel loose and start pulling slightly to the right. The steering wheel was perfectly centered before and now I need to keep it 5 degrees to the left to keep it going straight. I did a cursory glance underneath and all the linkages seem to be tight and unmoved. With my limited time this weekend before family demands take over, where should I begin? I ultimately know this may need to go into a shop for realignment or other, but I would like to survey underneath first in order to verify their findings.

Thanks for the thoughts guys.

Check lug nuts, wheel bearings, tie rod ends, etc. Sounds like something is loose/worn. Get someone to jiggle the steering wheel back and forth while you look for play underneath. Something may be loose letting the right wheel toe out.

Start by jacking the front end off the ground.Turn the wheel back and forth.See if you feel any issues.Have a helper turn the wheel while you inspect all the steering components.Listen and look for any issues.Lay off driving it any prolonged distance until you figure out what it is. Safety first:hillbilly: :steer:

The center link gets loose sometimes. It is mounted to the DS frame and front cross member. It is adjustable.

If it came on all of a sudden, like from a pothole, it would need an alignment. Check the factory specs and do it yourself. The only adjustment is toe-in. You will need a tape measure and a couple of wrenches.

Check your tire pressure a soft tire will cause those symptoms

The center link gets loose sometimes. It is mounted to the DS frame and front cross member. It is adjustable.

If it came on all of a sudden, like from a pothole, it would need an alignment. Check the factory specs and do it yourself. The only adjustment is toe-in. You will need a tape measure and a couple of wrenches.
The only adjustment for front end alignment on LC40 is toe in--out? No camber-caster, etc.? Was not aware of this--new owner--still learning.

The only adjustment for front end alignment on LC40 is toe in--out? No camber-caster, etc.? Was not aware of this--new owner--still learning.

You can adjust caster with shims or a cut and turn. For stock suspension this isn't usually needed though with power steering you might want more caster. For lifted 40s it is often required.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom