1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Question of the day

Discussion in 'FJ55 Iron Pig Preservation Society' started by earthcruiser, Aug 24, 2006.

1. earthcruiser

earthcruiser

Just got Elwood running after being parked for a year. The header is on, the carborator back in place, exhaust all welded together. Ran fine adjusted everything. Drove ten miles to get the emission done. Idled great right at 850 rpms. Ran upto 2500 rpms for the test, they let the engine drop back to idle for the third stage of the test. It went to 0 rpm and would not start unless the choke was pulled half way out. Had to pull choke each stop all the way home. Ran strong but rough without the choke. a little hesitant. Any ideas? trying to eliminate electrical or fuel. Any help appreciated.

2. Trollhole

Trollhole THC Supporting Vendor Moderator

Media:
    Albums:
    fuel restriction or vaccum leak.

3. cruiserbrett

cruiserbrett Moderator

check the idle cutout soleniod. symptoms sound like that is the issue. Its on the carb and has either a single wire or two wire connection depending on year, not sure when the change occured. make sure its getting 12v, and if so, the solenoid is bad, or might need cleaning...

4. Ming89FJ62

Ming89FJ62 I smell bacon GOLD Star SILVER Star

I agree w/ cruiserbrett - check the fuse for the idle solenoid first than go from there. Hope that's all it is.

5. PabloCruise

PabloCruise

Is that the fuse labeled "Engine"?

6. Ming89FJ62

Ming89FJ62 I smell bacon GOLD Star SILVER Star

Pretty sure it is - it's a 10 amp fuse IIFC

Harry

7. DieselFJ

DieselFJ

Media:
    Albums:
  8. earthcruiser

earthcruiser

Thanks for the assistance. It turned out to be a bad ground on the solenoid. I did about 30 minutes of work and elwood is back on the road. Thanks again for the assistance. This is the part of the Iron Pig Preservation that keeps the 55's on the road. :cool:

data-matched-content-rows-num="2,1" data-matched-content-columns-num="1,4" data-matched-content-ui-type="image_stacked" data-ad-format="autorelaxed">