Question About Smaller SC Pulley Wheel (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Iceaxe

I am my rig's nemesis.
Threads
Has anyone on Mud elected to swap out their stock SC pulley wheel for one with a smaller diameter? I've seen elsewhere on Mud folks warning about the car's algorithms being unable to handle it for some reason, causing detonations to occur.... Then I've heard folks put the smaller wheel in anyway and not have an issue (but see a higher boost as a result).

What's the community's take on this? Go with a smaller pulley wheel or not?

A few have put on a smaller pulley. Having a Meth injection or intercooler helps greatly. Warmer temps seem to be an issue. With Winter coming I may just try it for giggles. :meh:

Ok, so I went with the upgraded fan clutch (a rec from Mud / thanks guys!), which totally got my rig under control. It was overheating like crazy in the desert heat but doesn't after the mod.

So of course, I'm fixing one issue, only to push my luck once again (eye-roll).

My main worry is whether a smaller pulley would somehow precipitation a serious malfunction in my engine...!

FloridaFJ80, here's the thread... SC Causing AC to Die?
Getting a new fan clutch and putting my shroud back in was the definitive fix. I've taken the rig everywhere in maximal heat with zero problems.

smaller pulley is going to cause some issues possibly without a way to control the IAT's. Being in socal I have decided not to go that direction and leave things as trd left them. Some others have swapped to smaller pully's. A search should bring up lots of opinions.

Anyone on the list decide to go with the smaller pulley?

The stock pulley is 3.2 inches. I have been running a 3.0 inch pulley for ~10 years.

Dan,
Do you know what the issue is, if any? Is there a danger with going even smaller?

More boost requires more fuel. You run the risk of running lean (which will result in catastrophic failures) unless you do something to compensate for it.

Dan,
Sorry for being dense, but what are ways to counteract running lean? I guess I'm trying to figure out how far can you go with the stock engine, in terms of boost via the SC... Has anyone figured out what the limit is?

Methanol injection or adding an additional fuel injector are two possible solutions.

I'm running methanol injection.

Ah, so Dan you're running a smaller wheel but with methanol injection... In other words, you wouldn't run that 3" pulley without the methanol, right?

I've been working on methanol injection on mine. It's already intercooled. I've got a 3" pulley waiting for when it's finished up. Dan, what base timing are you able to run?

Stock timing.

Ah, so Dan you're running a smaller wheel but with methanol injection... In other words, you wouldn't run that 3" pulley without the methanol, right?

I need the methanol no matter what size pulley I run. 93-94 runs too lean without it.

Yeah, after reviewing Murf's thread on methanol injection, I'm seriously thinking about it as my next "Big Project"... Thanks for the above clarification guys.

I really like the idea of methanol injection as well. No experience with it but from what I gather I like the fact that it can be tuned for existing conditions, summer vs. winter, etc. I would like to do a snow performance setup with a 3.0 wheel eventually.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom