question about oil leak on 12ht (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

rideglobally

Nullacruiser
Threads
Website
forum.ih8mud.com
my 12ht leaks oil around the oil pump and somewhere behind the turbo, (i don't think it is the turbo). not sure if the rear main bearing seal is leaking. when my engine got rebuilt about 30K ago i placed a sleeve over the crankshaft where the rear main seal ride because of a groove there created by the previous seal.

in total it leaks about 1 quart every 1000 miles. my question; can this be fix? is this an issue that i should leave alone.

getting ready for a summer trip to Alaska, i am trying to do some maintenance on my 12ht. thx

So it leaks 1 quart of oil on the garage floor or does it burn 1 quart. There's oil feed and return pipes behind the turbo. If the main seal is leaking oil it will be coming out between the engine and bell housing not from behind turbo.

So it leaks 1 quart of oil on the garage floor or does it burn 1 quart. There's oil feed and return pipes behind the turbo. If the main seal is leaking oil it will be coming out between the engine and bell housing not from behind turbo.
Not on the garage floor, probably burn some I have an oil catch can, I drained oil catch can at 15k and very little oil in there. Hard to see but here are some pictures, there is always a drop of oil on the hand brake drum. Maybe a couple of teaspoon drops after I park, not a continuous drip.
IMG_0628.JPG
IMG_0629.JPG
IMG_0630.JPG
IMG_0637.JPG
Thx I been driving it like this for a long time, sometimes running the engine 8 hours straight.

The drip from the handbrake drum would be from the seal on the gearbox flange when you get time strip it down and replace if grooved run another speedy-seal. My guess is it's just burning oil through your turbo seal's like mine does no big deal or rush but start saving for a rebuild or a G-turbo.

The drip from the handbrake drum would be from the seal on the gearbox flange when you get time strip it down and replace if grooved run another speedy-seal. My guess is it's just burning oil through your turbo seal's like mine does no big deal or rush but start saving for a rebuild or a G-turbo.
i have the one of the early build G-turbo. i will look at the turbo seal more closely. when you say gearbox flange do you mean transmission seal behind the hand brake drum? what about that leak around the oil pump do you have experience with that? i am thinking of re torquing the bolt around the cover. engine was rebuild 30k ago. thx

I replaced both seals on my gearbox output shafts but it turned out to be leaking between the gearbox and transfer case what's a common problem when the inner transfer seal fails. The rocker cover gasket is rubber so it needs replacing as re-torquing won't fix any leaks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom