PTO winch pieces (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi,

The PO sold me a PTO winch to go with my 1968 FJ40. Here are the pieces I have. I'm not sure what I'm missing and how it all goes together. Could anyone please point me in the right direction for more research or just tell me what I need and how it goes together. My web searches haven't been terribly fruitful. I am ordering a set of wedges from @kevos37 .

1605976034608.png

PXL_20201101_230554527.jpg

PXL_20201101_230706939.jpg

PXL_20201101_230806690.jpg

PXL_20201101_230816003.jpg

The mechanical components are all there except for the shear pin (and its cotter pins) and the wire rope.

What's not pictured are the actuating levers (one for the cab, the other for the back of the gear box), a connecting rod that has a clevis on one end and a swivel joint on the other. Finally, there is a pivot shaft that attaches to the transmission housing that the Lever in the cab pivots on.

Also just noticed that the bearing retaining plate on the front of the winches worm shaft appears to be missing. It's held in place by is missing the 4 missing bolts.

Last edited:
Thanks, @73FJ40. So what I need to find are:

1. shear pin and cotter pins
2. rope/cable
3. actuating lever, cab
4. actuating lever, gear box
5. connecting rod (with clevis and swivel joint)
6. pivot shaft
7. bearing retaining plate

I also need the trap door for the transmission tunnel, right?

Is getting these pieces just a matter of scrounging?

Thanks, again.

@Aravind Dileepan

On closer inspection of your pictures, you may have DON'T other issues.

In the following picture, it appears the worm shaft (with the "X" pattern in the end) is facing the rear of the winch. If so, the worm shaft is installed backwards: THIS IS CORRECT, THE HOLE FOR THE SHEAR PIN IS PARALLEL WITH ONE OF THE "X" SLOTS
1606056158160.png

The rear of the worm shaft should have a through hole to accommodate the shear pin:
This is the front of the worm shaft, showing the keyway and detent used by the factory to wind the winch cable onto the drum:
winch worm shaft input.jpg

The front of the worm shaft has the "X" pattern:
This shows the rear end of the worm shaft, with the hole for the shear pin under one of the "X" slots

winch front end worm shaft side view.jpg

Regarding your quest for the missing parts, they are really scarce.

I suggest you go back to the individual who sold you the winch to ask about them, especially the bearing retainer plate.

Good luck.

Last edited:
The truck's PO sold these pieces with the truck. He's an honest guy, he told me he didn't have all the pieces. I figured something is better than nothing. I really just want to get a handle on what I have and what I need so that I can collect what I need as those pieces pop onto the market.

@Aravind Dileepan

Okay, that's fine. I suggest you look into the reversed worm shaft first thing. IMHO, someone had things apart for some yet-to-be determined reason. You parts collection efforts should begin with fully understanding what you have.

Schematic of PTO control lever parts:

1606056939975.png

Winch schematic:
1606057233582.png

Isn’t that the gearbox lever (38201) In the first pic?

Looks like the pto box has front and rear output.

Isn’t that the gearbox lever (38201) In the first pic?

The lever in the first picture is the winch lever, not the gearbox lever. The gearbox bolts to the transfer case.

The missing levers (and the rest of the actuating linkage) are both illustrated in the picture in post #7, included again below for convenience:
1606089185604.png

As far as I know, all PTO gearboxes on three speed transfer cases and four speed transfer cases up to around 1975 had provisions for front and rear drives for auxiliary equipment such as winches and possibly fire pumps.

Wow, that's great. Where'd you find it? I'd like to be able to blow it up a little bigger.
The illustrations are from the parts microfiche. You can click on the image, and at the top of the image you will find a download icon for each image as a .png file. You can then paste the picture into MS Word (or whatever) and stretch the size larger.

That was pretty common on the one piece transfer case PTO. I few of these and think they all have front and rear driveshaft flanges. The upper left is a one piece transfer case PTO. Upper is 8/80-9/82 40 series PTO. It has rear driveshaft flange as well. The lower one is 10/82+ 40 series and doesn't have a rear flange.
IMG_20191229_172509044.jpg

More PTO info here:

I am pretty sure I have a pivot pin for the transmission available , and I may have a lever too. The rest I doubt. If you’re interested, you can leave a voicemail at the shop. Please don’t PM me. 😊

Here is a photo of the winch installed on my 40. The yoke from the PTO shaft attaches to the winch at the end of the worm gear with the X marking. There is a small hole there for the shear pin. You can see the end of the pin in the yoke. Hope this helps.
KIMG2825.jpeg

Here is a photo of the winch installed on my 40. The yoke from the PTO shaft attaches to the winch at the end of the worm gear with the X marking. There is a small hole there for the shear pin. You can see the end of the pin in the yoke. Hope this helps.
View attachment 2506962

In your case it looks like a bolt is used in place of a shear pin. Shear pins have small holes at each end that cotter pins are used to keep it from slipping out.

It is a hollow roll pin. It is just holding that yoke on while I finish assembling the 40. Its been about 30 years since it was on the road.

Kind of looks like a hollow roll-pin.

@Krusty Enhance!

Except there are solid. If you drove in a roll pin it would just a pain to remove if snapped. The shear is not a tight fit with the idea if it snaps will be easy to remove. Been a long time since I had to deal a broken shear pin (19 years). Think I remember where my spare pins are. Since that time have acquired a few more PTO winches. On at least one of those had to deal with two with rusted tight splines on the last piece before the winch. Because of that added grease to the shear pin just to be sure it just easily come out if it snaps off.

@Aravind Dileepan

I gave you some wrong advice regarding your winch. I was looking at mine while it was upside-down, and I neglected to stand on my head to look at it!

I went back to my earlier posts, above, and fixed my observations with strikeouts and red text.

How is your quest for missing parts proceeding?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom