PTO shifter removal (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
What's the trick to removing the PTO shifter from the transmission top plate?

Since the OP didn't indicate the year of his truck in his post, and my cellphone doesn't show signature lines, I've answered for an earlier year arrangement. Shame on me for offering an answer for a post that doesn't provide basic information.

The shift lever slides onto the pivot shaft and is retained by a cotter pin and flat washer. If it doesn't slide off, corrosion is the likely problem.

The pivot shaft is threaded into the cover.

Last edited:
The shift lever slides onto the pivot shaft and is retained by a cotter pin and flat washer. If it doesn't slide off, corrosion is the likely problem.

The pivot shaft is threaded into the cover.

He is showing a 79 FJ40 in the bottom of his post. That is a conpletely different PTO shifter. Much more complicated shifter which I have never seen. A picture from above and below would help.

The guessing the earlier shifter would work in a 79 but the 1/79 driveshaft changed. No more pillow block bearing hung off the radiator mounting bracket. The two holes thru the boxed front frame member are offset because the angle of the driveshaft coming off the side frame rail. So does the OP have a complete correct PTO winch setup or something custom.

Sorry guys, I failed to mention the year. The rig in question with the PTO is a '71 FJ40.

The cotter pin and washer are gone. I've got the shift lever and pivot shaft soaking in Kroil now.

234F03FB-B87E-4B92-9498-83EF7A6A7939.jpeg

I would sand the expose part of the shaft. That way once it loose it slide off and not fight it over all the rough spots. Also would be careful with heat or trying tighten the shaft. The transmission cover is aluminum and could get damaged.

Finally got it off by applying pressure with pry bar on opposite side of shifter while tapping shifter base with a hammer. It was a slow process, but it worked. The Kroil helped also. Thanks for the input!

image.jpeg

Cool! So why’s the shaft so long and what’s the other hole for?

It is that long for a second shifter for a second PTO that bolts to the back. The early parts diagram showed both shifters.
I’m planning to move a pto winch with all the linkage and shafts from a 1978 four speed to a 1971 three speed. It looks like there will be some modifications needed. Should I be worried?

I’m planning to move a pto winch with all the linkage and shafts from a 1978 four speed to a 1971 three speed. It looks like there will be some modifications needed. Should I be worried?

the linkage will be too long and so will the driveshaft

Should be fairly easy. The driveshaft and rod on the shift linkage going to the PTO will both need to be shortened. More common going from a three speed to a four speed and may be able to find some one local to trade those two pieces.

Should be fairly easy. The driveshaft and rod on the shift linkage going to the PTO will both need to be shortened. More common going from a three speed to a four speed and may be able to find some one local to trade those two pieces.
Local like Seattle, WA and Lexington, KY? These things seem to be rare.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom