Proud new owner of 1998 Land Cruiser!

Discussion in '100-Series Cruisers' started by johnx2sen, May 16, 2018.

1. johnx2sen

johnx2sen

Hey Everyone! Just wanted to introduce myself to the community. My name is John, 30 years old, grew up riding dirt bikes in the desert. I recently bought and rebuilt a meyers manx dune buggy, and now ive traded my daily driver infiniti g35 for a beautiful 98 LC. I live in San Diego, if there are any local enthusiasts id love to hear from you.

If any of you have suggestions for amazing places in the south west to take this thing id love to hear them. Ive only offroaded locally most of my life. 20180513_185727_1526264612880.jpg 20180513_185801_HDR.jpg 20180513_185741_HDR-1.jpg

05JLX470, Ayune, Colorado kid and 4 others like this.
  2. mmbirtcher

mmbirtcher

Sweet ride dude! Welcome!

3. Vistataco

Vistataco

Media:
    Albums:
    Welcome! San Diego area here too.

There are plenty of areas all over the southwest and locally...too many to list here in one spot. I would stay local to shake out any bugs and get used to how it handles in the dirt. Anza Borrego, Corral Canyon OHV, Idyllwild, and Big Bear areas are all great places to start.

I recently converted to 100 series after being in an 80 for about 10 years and starting the build.

4. KraziAzn

KraziAzn

Welcome! Saw it on Reddit! So jelly!

5. habakkuk007

habakkuk007

Nice looking truck, congrats!

6. Slashzero

Slashzero SILVER Star

Media:
    Albums:
    Very nice truck! Congrats.

I miss rust-free Sun Diego!

7. leucadiacruiser

leucadiacruiser SILVER Star

Albums:
    Welcome! Beach n Toys is one of the TLCA chapters in San Diego. We meet first of the month at Mike's BBQ in Escondido. Hope to see you there!

8. johnx2sen

johnx2sen

Hey cool to meet you! Im guessing you are in vista by your name, im in san marcos. What would you say is the nearest wheeling spot from north county? Anza borrego is my typical stomping grounds, have a toybox out there where i keep my buggy and dirt bikes. So much to do and see out there!

I had never heard of corral canyon before and just looked it up. Looks pretty gnarly rock crawling stuff, i know the cruiser is a beast but im reluctant to push the limits right off the bat. Ill feel more comfortable after i install some sliders. I love the look of the terrain down there though and am oretty eager, happen to know any of the more tame trails down there to start on?

9. KraziAzn

KraziAzn

Look up White Knuckle. Jon knows his stuff, and you can save $$ if you're picking it up. I bought a set and my bro bought a set for his GX. best slider for its price. Make sure to get DOM.
    Toyota 100 Series Land Cruiser / Lexus LX470 Rock Sliders - White Knuckle Off Road Products

10. KraziAzn

KraziAzn

Delete. Duplicate reply.

11. johnx2sen

johnx2sen

Hey man, looks like a fun club you guys have, I will try and make it to the next meeting.

chap79 and leucadiacruiser like this.
  12. johnx2sen

johnx2sen

Thanks for the tip man. I was looking at the slee tube sliders which i honestly think look a little burlier, but they are 300 bucks more than those white knuckles and i dont know if its that much better. You've given me some thinking to do

13. Slashzero

Slashzero SILVER Star

Media:
    Albums:
    I miss California Burritos from Roberto’s. Then there is that really good fish place up in Carlsbad... and the sushi place in Encinitas...

Can someone pack a few burritos in dry ice and mail them over?

14. johnx2sen

johnx2sen

I have a full size 35 inch spare tire that i want to get mounted in the back. I found this one for 2 grand that looks pretty nice. Anyone know where i could get something comparable for a better price or should i just pay it?

Slee Rear Bumper and Tire Carrier
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Slee Rear Bumper
    Part #: SOF1049

15. johnx2sen

johnx2sen

Haha i have had friends who have tried this before sending back east but it didnt work out so well. Where you located now?

Slashzero likes this.
  16. Somebodyelse5

Somebodyelse5 Cruiser Addict SILVER Star

Media:

Is that a post from clist? I am in AZ, I can go take a look at it for you if you want?

17. leucadiacruiser

leucadiacruiser SILVER Star

Albums:
    If you're talking about Pelly's Fish Market @Slashzero I've got bad news - they burned down. The good news is they'll probably be back open next time you're out west.

You'll find lots of bumper options from great vendors here on 'Mud. The best advice I was given when I started building my 80 was to get to know your rig and how you plan to use it before throwing money at it. Young family camping? Single guy bashing rocks? Or somewhere in between? You've got an insanely capable vehicle already and maybe you want to hold onto those dollars until you get it all baselined and get to know how you think you'll end up using it. We've got a few 100's in the club and great folks who are happy to share their years of experience - and this forum is an endless well of information. All that being said, I went with the Bump It Off Road rear bumper for my hundy :cheers:

Somebodyelse5 likes this.
  18. johnx2sen

johnx2sen

Wow thats very generous of you to offer but no thats was direct from slees website. So its for a brand new one. Thanks though!

Somebodyelse5 likes this.
  19. Somebodyelse5

Somebodyelse5 Cruiser Addict SILVER Star

Media:
    Si, no problemo sir. I like helping out when I can.

I have the slee rear on my rig and I love it. I would definitely suggest the dual swingout over the single, having the ladder to mount stuff is really helpful. Water, Gas.... a cooler? :)
    upload_2018-5-16_18-23-34.jpeg

johnx2sen and LCBlackBeauty like this.
  20. KraziAzn

KraziAzn

I also check out Dissent. @benc 100% made in the USA! / Dissent offroad modular rear bumper.
    Ben is very active on the forum. Similar price as Slee. Personally, I am saving up for his bumpers and skid plates. I believe it is worth it.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.