Builds Project Patina-November 1968 FJ-40 (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

One of the greatest things about Project Patina is how absolutely unreal it drives on the road.

One finger action on a fairly rough road at 60 mph. All day.

I attribute it to a few factors. New steering rod ends. Stock springs. Stock shackles. Narrow tires.

The only problem with these 700-15's though is that as good as they look on this vintage truck they are Loud as hell. Non-radial MTs. As a high school kid I loved that sound. As an old man I don't love it so much.

Why does no one make a stock height spring anymore @cruiseroutfit ?? How many leafs would I have to take out of a set of lights OME leafs to be able to run stock shackles?

I'm formulating a plan to maybe use my split rims and get some 235/85/16's for the truck.

I likely need a little lift for them in the uncut rear as my springs are absolutely flat.

I saw that a guy from AU is about to sell some hubcap clips through @Racer65 so my split rims are back in play.

IMG_1549.JPG

^^^I know it's not what you are going for...but a Dakar lift and 33x10.50s would look phenomenal.

Can you just add a stock spring or 2?

Garth. The 33x10.50 gives pretty serious steering fatigue on a stock setup. This thing steers so good. I'm willing to go taller but I'd sure like to stay skinny.

I'm researching replacement springs for my 40 and found that Man-A-Fre sells a Safari Suspension stock height kit SSS-40NLE for $800 bucks or so. This is the route I'm going to go since I can't have a lift if I want it to fit in the garage with the top & rack on, and some of my front leaves are cracked.

Brian

I'm researching replacement springs for my 40 and found that Man-A-Fre sells a Safari Suspension stock height kit SSS-40NLE for $800 bucks or so. This is the route I'm going to go since I can't have a lift if I want it to fit in the garage with the top & rack on, and some of my front leaves are cracked.

Brian

What exactly is Man a Fre now? I'm not sure who even runs that company. I thought it closed.

Excellent question, I have no idea. I'll dig around a bit, unless some others on here know.

Brian

*Edit* The web page is copyrighted 2017, and I sent an email asking about the suspension kit. I'll let you know their reply.

Excellent question, I have no idea. I'll dig around a bit, unless some others on here know.

Brian

*Edit* The web page is copyrighted 2017, and I sent an email asking about the suspension kit. I'll let you know their reply.

Thank you!

Well, I heard back from them. I asked about the stock height springs SSS-40NLE in regard to the spring rate, imported vs. domestic, and shipping. Their reply:

They are made to the same spring rate as factory.
They are imported.
Shipping is approx.. $250 for the kit.

Honestly, when I go to replace my springs next summer, I'll take the gamble and go ahead with them.

Brian

How does one steer said patina like truck?

I found an early grab handle because Will always says he feels like he’s going to fly out the open door.

These are pre dash pad bars. 67 and older.

Won’t fit here

F2E6DFEB-0152-4BE0-9DFA-61103C0A5636.jpeg

A later handle would get on my cool tags so that’s out.

This spot is the best alternative. It’s a tube area so I used rivnuts

DFB08A61-39FB-48BC-99A3-6B02F62BECF2.jpeg

Perfect spot.

1DD6C6EA-460F-49D6-B0B5-36D69DB84FFE.jpeg

When @Papalud says he wants to photograph your truck but only with the doors on it......

CBBCAB21-FA7C-4BB4-B8D8-16159854BCA1.jpeg

I found this jewel and installed it. Hard to find....

353A7EB4-ADEB-47DF-932A-BBAC2908409F.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom