Builds Project Patina-November 1968 FJ-40 (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I'm going to do a drinking game on every time someone uses the term patina. I think that's what sold me. To be honest, I didn't even open the doors or pop the hood the first time I passed by.
I offered him after. The paint is cool. I've always wanted a Seafoam 40 since I saw one at GSMTR a billion years ago.

I made it home on the May-pops and actually got damn good mileage.

image.jpeg

The 4Runner is rated for 5000# and I'm guessing this was around #6500. The trace is hilly in this stretch and it kicked to 3rd a lot and even 2nd once. 52 mph all the way.

image.jpeg

Note the Cottonland Sticker

image.jpeg

Sunset was happening on Highway 16. I literally pulled over in the middle of the road and got a money shot.

image.jpeg

Last edited:
Bet that. This paint won't get touched as long as I own it.

Wiki on Patina.

"On metal, patina is a coating of various chemical compounds such as oxides, carbonates, sulfides, or sulfates formed on the surface during exposure to atmospheric elements (oxygen, rain, acid rain, carbon dioxide, sulfur-bearing compounds), a common example of which is rust which forms on iron or steel when exposed to oxygen. Patina also refers to accumulated changes in surface texture and colour that result from normal use of an object such as a coin or a piece of furniture over time."

Patina, I barely know her...

I'm going to get home at some point today and get it unloaded and start taking some pics.

Of course it will be covered as long as I own it Bossman

My initial idea on this truck is to 1) see if the motor is salvageable
(Tips appreciate)
2) replace drum front with disc (Jrob)
3)update the master cylinders and tie rod ends.
4)tires
5)suspension

Safety and drivability updates only

Need to find out what's available and what is unobtainable as far as lenses and stuff external.

Nothing you can see externally will get painted or cleaned up.

Internal make it new as possible.

Last edited:
I'd love to keep the F and the 3 on tree and vacuum t-case.

My brain is telling me that something Rots away in the vacuum system.

I really need to dive off into the 40 forum and refresh my memory on this stuff.

patina.....

I can't believe you left out my intel fail on not knowing the former owner.

Nolan pings me during church Wednesday and asked if my family knows the dude on title. I didn't answer IMMEDIATELY so then I get a "yo" text. so in front of (patina) my pastor I pull out my phone and text something to the effect of "we don't know him"

then later, I asked a billion questions on said purchase as I am apt to do.

so Nolan just go Patina somewhere . When you get her rolling I want to come see it. I to LOVE the sea Foam....KILLER find.

Last edited:
Let's start the betting pool on when Nolan will sell it.

AC Garage and all summer...hmmm. hunting season taken into account...

OCTOBER, pre Crawl it will be on a trailer somewhere with a new 2f, refurbished interior and Nolan's 3rd liver.....PATINA

Before you do anything else pull the spark plugs and put a bit of Marvel Mystery Oil or similar into each cylinder, drain and refil the oil, and remove the accessory belt. Let it sit for a couple of days then turn it over by hand. If it turns fairly easy you might be able to save it.

Before you do anything else pull the spark plugs and put a bit of Marvel Mystery Oil or similar into each cylinder, drain and refil the oil, and remove the accessory belt. Let it sit for a couple of days then turn it over by hand. If it turns fairly easy you might be able to save it.

Yep. @Clutchee found one with a tree through it near Canton that was sitting for 10+. We did that ^ and and got it started. My buddy John still has it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom