Project "Beaker" a BJ-44 expedition build (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Yeah and I hear now that shipping engines from Japan and Aus/NZ has been shut down due to people abusing the gas/diesel thing. I might be the last one in for a long time...

60K miles on it! ;)

BreckenridgeCruiser said:
Yeah and I hear now that shipping engines from Japan and Aus/NZ has been shut down due to people abusing the gas/diesel thing. I might be the last one in for a long time...

60K miles on it! ;)

I so should have stolen that one from you now...

;)

Dan

60K miles on it! ;)

Is that what your seller told you right before he asked you to pay double?

Nope... He even said I snuck under the radar. I actually stole this from him compared to prices I have seen for this setup on Mud and other sources...

I was stating that I may be interested in more to help other people here out and that's when he mentioned that I may be the last for a while. He even has two 12HTs ready to ship, but can't find carriers willing to ship them.

He mentioned that Gas engines are considered Hazardous and Diesel is not. He thinks the insurance companies are telling the shipping companies they can't haul them as (assumption) people have been labeling gas engines ad diesel to get a break on shipment costs.

BreckenridgeCruiser said:
Nope... He even said I snuck under the radar. I actually stole this from him compared to prices I have seen for this setup on Mud and other sources...

I was stating that I may be interested in more to help other people here out and that's when he mentioned that I may be the last for a while. He even has two 12HTs ready to ship, but can't find carriers willing to ship them.

He mentioned that Gas engines are considered Hazardous and Diesel is not. He thinks the insurance companies are telling the shipping companies they can't haul them as (assumption) people have been labeling gas engines ad diesel to get a break on shipment costs.

Would this means that there should be no issue bringing diesel engine. There should be people in Customs who can find the difference between diesel and petrol (gas) engine...

*disclaimer*
This information is all third party and was the assumption of my importer. It is also my opinion as well as to the resultant difficulty in shipping any engines in.
*end disclaimer*

From the way it was presented to me, the issue is way before our customs people even see the engine. The shippers in Japan (boat) and the rail and trucking companies in the states are not accepting ANY engines for shipment. My importer's guess is they are getting pressure from the insurance companies.

Any updates?

Last edited:
Is this project buttoned up?

Justin is moving to a new larger shop to be able to work on more trucks at once. He only had two bays/lifts in his old one and now has more than doubled his work space. I told him to work on the deadlined trucks as I am still sourcing parts for my build and can wait.

That said, he did tell me he is giving Beaker a work space in the new shop right away. :)

I think we will be doing the 1HZ and power steering upgrade at the same time as finishing the suspension now so keep checking back.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using IH8MUD

For those who have not seen or driven a rare BJ-44, I must say I can check it off my Bucket list. I wish the US would have gotten some. Bitchen trucks by themselves, Red Line has been summoned to do a full suspension revamp on one!
So what our customer wants is a full suspension that will handle expedition use and abuse with the driving comfort of a "Caddy". So we have decided to 4 link the rear, and link the front as well. In addition of power steering for the turbo'd 2B, a set of FJ-60 axles for extra track width.

A set of Iron man Med. rate 6" lifted FJ-80 front coils will be used in the rear. We will be using these springs because of cost, durability, and design. Rear shocks will be Fox or SAW smooth body remoter res, tuned and valved by us for a perfect set up.
The front we will have Coil overs. At this point we don't have all the link geometry done yet, so we will start off the rear for you.

First We SCALE every rig that comes in our shop for a link'd suspension. These numbers are crucial for perfect link'd geometry. Design'd in CAD and a link Calc. Program, we test and tune every suspension from start to finish.

First pic, "Beaker" on the scales!

Enjoy

Justin

New around here, but yes Justin, you are correct, its one of the rearest in my humble opinion.
I have a BJ 46, wich is LHD, 3 B engine, lacks a tad of power for the USA, but here in Spain works fine.

More Pics and info on the engine if posible. I will post a pic of mine, without wanting to steal your thread.!

The project is looking great ! :cheers:
IMG_3775.jpg

Update!

So here we go! I went down to Red Line yesterday and pulled the 2B engine out for a buyer. The suspension is almost structurally done and then a little cleanup and she will be on her own four feet. IIRC all that is left is the custom shock towers for the coilovers in the front.

So now that that engine is out, there is room to start dropping in the 1HZ and h55 combo from an HZJ75. I will wire the engine to start and run using the existing wiring for the short term, but eventually will pull the entire harness and remove all of the now unneeded circuits (superglow, etc).

So enough about the progress! Time for pictures!
2013-12-03-14.32.jpg
2013-12-03-15.09.jpg
2013-12-03-15.10.jpg
2013-12-03-15.10-2.jpg

Nice rig BJ46! Where in Spain are you?

That is correct! HJ61 box and the HZ comes with the pump. With the interior stuff for the A/C and the pump on the new engine, it should be pretty easy to set up A/C for those trips across the Mojave soon.

Dan: I may need to get more information from you on your 12HT glow setup as I have a momentary switch, but would love to just hit it once and have it start a timer (manual set?) and run for a time. Since I have the glow light in my dash panel (not the screen indicator) it could just read the 24v from the timer to the glow relay and let me know when it is glowing. When the light goes out, I know the cycle is complete...

Any thoughts?

Nice. Good to see lots of progress is being made! What parts did they use for the steering linkage? Will you still have the battery tray on the right side?

Did the Turbo set end up going with the 2b? If not let me know...

Pete

Linkage is still in the works... They are 60 axles so we are sourcing a RHD tie rod kit from CruiserOutfitters and using the stock bars. They might have to fab/modify the drag link for the new setup, but the tie rod can be left alone. We will also need to redo the mount for the dampener.

The turbo is going to the new owner, along with my H41, fan shroud, and the drop pipe... I can source all of this stuff for you new if you are interested in a new kit... I loved this setup in the 44, but living and driving up to 11,000 ft above sea level needs a 6cyl. I will miss the almost-30 mpg that I was getting with the turbo 2B and the H55f

I too am glad to see progress. It was moving painfully slow even for me and I'm way past your timeline. I bet they wished you had removed that engine prior to all that welding under there. It is going to ride great though and I'm sure you will love the extra power. I doubt you will get that much worse fuel economy. As long as you keep your foot out of it. Keep the updates coming. We love seeing them. Really looking forward to a MWB get together and ride out in your part of the country.

Anytime you want to head this way Addicted!! We have some great trails around here! I am trying to get this done in time for a multiday expo run from Denver to CruiserFest this fall so let me know if you find time!

Update: The front steering linkages were delivered to Justin at Moab (thanks Dan!) so we should see some updates soon! Unfortunately I am down with a ruptured Achilles tendon so I am off of the leg for at least a month. Good news is that when I get back on it, I can't do too much athletically yet so I will have plenty of time to head down and get the HZ in and help Justin button up the suspension!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom