Project 180 SAS 100 Series (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

40Habits

Sure... why not
Threads
Project 180: UZJ100+FJ80 = 180

This is what you get when you take a 100 and add 80 axles.

Here are the specs on it so far:

Front SAS FJ80 E-Locked Axle

12” ORI Reservoir Struts

Nitro Chromoly Axles

Nitro 5.29 Gears

Trail Gear Diff Armor and Knuckle Gussets

Slotted and Drilled Brake Rotors

Rear FJ80 E-Locked Axle

OME 5” Comp Coils

Bilstien 12” 5100 Shocks

Slee Rear 80 Adjustable Pan Hard Bar

Custom Lower Adjustable Control Arms

Custom Front and Rear Bumpers

Engo 10,000 lbs Winch with Synthetic Line

Snorkel

37” Nitto Trail Grapplers

Ruff Stuff GM One Ton Y-link Steering

PSC Hi Flow Steering Pump and Reservoir

IMAG3454_zpsmmucjllo.jpg

Last edited:
The project came about when my wife said she would like her own vehicle to drive off road. So I started to search for a 4Runner but I came across a 1998 UZJ100 for sale locally. I purchased the Land Cruiser in October 2014. We spent a few months enjoying it in its stock form but me being me, I decided to do a solid axle swap.

I started to cut the IFS out in January 2015. It is easier said then done. If you have never looked at a UZJ100 IFS brackets, you should. The whole thing wraps around the frame and the motor mounts are tied into it. Ever wonder why Slee pulled the motor for an SAS, that's why.

I was trying to research the best options for the swap but found very little information. The only two swaps that are documented were Slee's. I figured my options were:

Option 1: Custom housing and order 105 Hubs

Option 2: 80 Series Axle

Option 3: Dana 60 out of an early 90's Dodge

IMAG2793_zpscnjjqhyw.jpg

IMAG2792_zps0pcj2cnr.jpg

I decided to use an 80 series locked axle and keep it all Toyota. I was originally planning on using spacers to convert the bolt pattern and get the right width. The wheel adapter idea failed when it would not fit over the hub of the 80 axle.

Another issue I had using an 80 series axle is the width of the 100 frame. The coils would be touching the frame if you tried to use the stock 80 suspension.

I then had three choices; swap out the rear with an 80, diamond housing for the front, or tell the insurance company a deer took out my IFS:hillbilly:.

I wanted to go with 5.29 gears so I decided to swap the rear out as well. Another benefit to the 80 rear is having a full float axle.

80%20Axle_zpsyvv2wyw8.jpg

:popcorn: (patiently waiting for more)

Subscribed

:popcorn:
Looking forward to this build thread. Thanks for taking the time to post!

Here we go! Watching this one intently!

Thanks for taking the time post and document this build. Looking forward to it!

Questions - Is the 80 series rear a direct swap other than the bolt pattern? Are the track widths the same between the 100 series rear and 80 series rear?

Questions - Is the 80 series rear a direct swap other than the bolt pattern? Are the track widths the same between the 100 series rear and 80 series rear?

The track widths are very close between the 80 and the 100. The WMS (wheel mounting surface) on a 100 rear is almost 69" and the 80 is 63.5". The stock 80 series wheels had more backspacing that added to the track width. Clear as mud?

With all of the old brackets off of the frame, I then plated it to add strength.

Plate_zpshotsmtxd.jpg

Next up was to cut off the stock 80 brackets and add some strength to the 80 axle housing.

IMAG2980_zps8ddnlnr5.jpg

Added some knuckle gussets and shock mounts.

IMAG3003_zpsthcfxtmb.jpg

I also added a front diff guard just in case I take it some place other than the mall.

IMAG2999_zps6tidt2yj.jpg

Last edited:
The track widths are very close between the 80 and the 100. The WMS (wheel mounting surface) on a 100 rear is almost 69" and the 80 is 63.5". The stock 80 series wheels had more backspacing that added to the track width. Clear as mud?

Thanks for the info! Looking forward to more pics of the build.

I'll be honest, I can't get my head around how you made up for the 5.5" difference. Sorry but I'm a terrible learner unless it's visual.

I am a visual learner as well.....

Imagine the wheel on the right is a 100 series wheel and the wheel on the left is an 80. The difference in the backspacing is what pushes the tire out and makes the track widths close to being the same.

wheel-faq5_zps7gt6henf.jpg

80 series wheel offset = 0mm
100 series wheel offset = +60mm
That means they are "sucked in" 60mm per side.

60 x 2 = 120mm... almost 5"

:popcorn:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom