Project 16 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

My cab is a just a little bigger than Zornf's.

Mine is 21 1/2" from the back of the "B" pillar to the back of the cab.

:eek: wow! i was thinking of going 14". of course i'm only 5'9" and my boys probably won't be much taller. at 14" I can have about a 54-57" bed if we cut the frame at the rear spring mount (leaving the rear axle where it is).

ahhh yes! thanks! i just read the whole thread. some very good ideas in there.

If I'm not mistaken, we checked out that orange truck at Cruise Moab this year. Jon and Mike were there. It was very impressive. Lots of attention to detail.

he used a pipe bender and doesn't have square dies(I asked). i need a tubing bender for the roll cage, they are different. thanks though! i think i'll have the square tubing taken care of soon thanks to Sy and Paul.

I talked to my dad, we have a 1/2" square bender ready to go, but it sounds like you need 1" so you two will need to talk to him about building the hydraulic one.

after a 3 year pause..............project 16 is back on!

a little help fell into my lap. thanks to Beno, I have a drivetrain, or will soon. I picked up a crashed 80 for him to avoid it getting crushed before he can come get it. he wants the frame and axles(factory lockers). he let me take the engine, transmission and tcase.:grinpimp: what a nice guy! (to make it clear, I am doing a bunch of hauling and other work in exchange for parts)

I have the front end body panels and radiator off the truck. tomorrow will be drive shafts, shifters and any disconnects I can reach. Sunday I hope to have the engine hoist in my posession and will pull the whole lot out. pics are on my camera and I have no way to upload them 'til Saturday. they are coming.

Last edited:
the guys at work helped me pull body panels, etc. they suggested I attempt to buy the truck from Beno and put the 40 body on this frame(after looking at how much work it will be to sort out the electrical).
with my original plan plus this drive train, we will have a FJ40-5/60/80 vs. an 80 series with a semi homemade 45 body. electrical I've sorted out before. this is going to be a ton of learning and sorting though.

questions to you 80 guys will be forthcoming...

Unfortunately, I need everything else from that rig. Sorry Shawn.

And no other parts can be taken off this rig for anyone else. I'm sorry about that but I have committed certain parts of this vehicle for people. Please do not go over and take anything off of this truck.

Thank you.

And no other parts can be taken off this rig for anyone else. I'm sorry about that but I have committed certain parts of this vehicle for people. Please do not go over and take anything off of this truck.

Thank you.

BAAWWWAAAHHAAAAAA .....:flipoff2:

Does this mean I have to return the rear diff lock actuator we pulled for a spare? I can give it back after the Baja trip if that is OK.

-Mike-

damn vultures circle quick!:lol:

here are the preliminary pics. truck, engine, and passenger seat. I don't think there were any fatalities. but this is why the junk yard wanted to crush it quickly.

DSCF0286.jpg

DSCF0288.jpg

DSCF0294.jpg

I got 5 of my best guys on it and in 2 hours it looked like this-:D

DSCF0299.jpg

DSCF0300.jpg

there is battery acid on almost everything. paint is peeling and plastic warping. I washed it all down a bit to stop the degrading and rusting. the smell got a ton better too.

Enough blood to make me queasy.

engine is out and I'm trying to make sure I have the needed wiring connectors. anyone have or know where to get the 95-97 FSM?
there are connectors on the driver side fender that connect to the engine harness, but I have no idea what they go to. ABS I don't need, fuel pump relay and igniter have been cut out. any help is appreciated. anything I don't need I'm trying to leave for Onur.

engine is out! I think there are some connectors I forgot to clip out of the harness now that I dropped off the vehicle part to Cdan. and a few I'm not sure about.

rio grande bosque 003.jpg

Last edited:
anyone know what this is? it sits on the passenger side inner fender of a '95 FZJ80.

rio grande bosque 008.jpg

I believe that is the fuel pump resistor.
-Mike-

Capture.jpg

Last edited:
good thing you changed that, I almost tossed it! don't need cruise control, but do need fuel pump!:D I think I forgot the O2 sensor plugs and 1 for the transmission.

my head aches from the fully electronic engine AND tranny controls. seems my LT1 was easier.:bang: though truth is it's about the same...

my head aches from the fully electronic engine AND tranny controls. seems my LT1 was easier.:bang: though truth is it's about the same...

*ahem* and the price was right.

:)

Good thing: tranny controls integrated into main ECU. you have both. you are good to go. you just need to make sure you have your gauges good--fuel/tach/alt/speedo/xfer case low range, etc.

You still have a lot of electrical work to go before home free.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom