Prinsu 200 Series Rack INSTALLED (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

It’s pretty unbelievable to me that a product like this that’s ‘made’ for the 200 requires so much...customization.

Mine did not require any modification or stacking of spacers to mount and it shouldn't.

Are all of your spacers the same size?

It's been a lot time since I did mine, I don't remember anything special to the install. I put it together on the garage floor, set the spacers on the roof to compensate for the curve in the roof, test fit, RTV and then bolted it down. There might have been a little gap but that was fixed when the whole thing was torqued down.

I agree that it shouldn't. No, i was sent two different sizes of spacers and 16 washers (which tells me they have been having enough fitment issues to add those to the hardware kit). And i really need three.

I'm going to take a side off and experiment with just that piece, see what i can figure out.

I didn't have any issues with mine if you pass through the Lafayette area and want to look at mine you are welcome, I bought the last one of the 2017 run they had. I talked with another club member and we will cut some square stock to fit the channel and replace the spacers it came with. I prefer the idea of a one piece flat surface spacer over the cylinder type it came with.

First I would take pics and send to mfg. and see what they say. If it's a 'you have to shim and modify response' personally I would return the rack. Too much $ to have to modify and run the risk of leaks or worse.

I didn't have any issues with mine if you pass through the Lafayette area and want to look at mine you are welcome, I bought the last one of the 2017 run they had. I talked with another club member and we will cut some square stock to fit the channel and replace the spacers it came with. I prefer the idea of a one piece flat surface spacer over the cylinder type it came with.

Are you saying you are planning on cutting some square stock? If you do I’d be glad to pay for materials in exchange for a set.

Not at Crawl by any chance are you?

Are you saying you are planning on cutting some square stock? If you do I’d be glad to pay for materials in exchange for a set.

Not at Crawl by any chance are you?

Yes Sir that's the plan on cutting some square stock we can definitely do a 3rd set no problem I'll keep you posted. Sadly no I didn't make the crawl this year and its the first in a dozen or so years we didn't cook on Friday night for everyone. Sorry to have missed it always an awesome time and good people.

Honestly I don’t know how you could live with that, I had a similar issue with my Frontrunner rails not sitting flat. I could manipulate them and get it mounted but then the tray was bowed from front to back and wouldn’t sit flat. I’d be willing to bet that if torque everything down and stick a 6 foot level across the horizontal slats from front to back that it wont be level/flat. My solution was to send the Frontrunner back and get the rhino rack with the backbone mount. The rhino side rails don’t use any spacers and follow the curve in the roof perfectly so there is no weird gaps.

My rack had similar gap no matter how you adjust. What I ended up doing is short standoffs in the 4 sets (2 each side) of contact points in the middle. Tall stand offs at the front and the rear. When the rack is rested on the stand offs the gaps you have on the rear is what I had in the front. Note you can play with it to get the gap to a minimum. I used a thick washer (approximately 3-5mm) and thin washer to take up the gap. The goal for me was to put even pressure on the stand offs.

Additionally under the stand offs, I bought some nylon washer for “cushioning” effect. It allows the hardware to conform and crush a little better so to speak. Of course a bunch of silicon was used on everything. Also I only use 3 cosrossbars during the install to allow mor e room to adjust the rails. Masking the surrounding area with masking tape and having some touch up paint on hand helps as well.

Note each of these racks has it plus and minuses. These rack are some what tricky to install but the end product is worth it. Great utility rack that is flat and allows you to wash/wax your roof without removal.

I have it disassembled now, and am going to play with just the side rails. Will see what i can figure out.

Sent pics to Prinsu.

And i STILL don't understand how they can sell these as 'made for' the 200 when they clearly aren't fitting properly.

Hell give me a level and a tape measure and i could design a side rail that fit better than this. Zero chance toyota built in 1/4 to 1/2" in design variance for these trucks. Zero.

And i STILL don't understand how they can sell these as 'made for' the 200 when they clearly aren't fitting properly.

Hell give me a level and a tape measure and i could design a side rail that fit better than this. Zero chance toyota built in 1/4 to 1/2" in design variance for these trucks. Zero.

I didn't have any fitment issues with mine. Sorry you had a rough time.

So i got the rack installed tonight. Disassembled it, and mounted each side rail independently. Then the slats.

I had to shave off about 1/8” off both middle spacers. Then used a single washer on inner spacers at both front and back, and a double washer on the outer spacers. That got it level for the first time.

I really like the look of the Prinsu. Glad it worked out.

C7D2FC11-9BBE-42C1-B0B1-A76258B1266D.jpeg

Finally got around to throwing the EEZI-AWN RTT on my Prinsu. What an absolute PAIN IN THE ASS!!!

**I knew going in that I was going to struggle to reach under the rack in order to get the bolts in but MAN!! it was frustrating. It took about an hour with the help of a buddy to get the RTT on and bolted down. I will be looking for better mounting solutions in the near future. I do like Front Runner's quick release brackets so I may give those a try. It performed well all weekend. The RTT did slip from side to side but that was because we used a piece of flat metal bracket and to hold to the underside of the rack.

46226854_10218560491310320_1105476950803087360_n.jpg

Finally got around to throwing the EEZI-AWN RTT on my Prinsu. What an absolute PAIN IN THE ASS!!!

**I knew going in that I was going to struggle to reach under the rack in order to get the bolts in but MAN!! it was frustrating. It took about an hour with the help of a buddy to get the RTT on and bolted down. I will be looking for better mounting solutions in the near future. I do like Front Runner's quick release brackets so I may give those a try. It performed well all weekend. The RTT did slip from side to side but that was because we used a piece of flat metal bracket and to hold to the underside of the rack.

View attachment 1831868

As a suggestion - I have two of the Prinsu bars permanently attached (bolted) to the RTT. I then just drop the full assembly into the to Prinsu and add the 4 bolts bolts (per side) through the rack on the side. Much easier than trying to bolt it from the bottom. I can have the whole thing on or off the rack within 10 min. It's also very secure, no moving at all.

As a suggestion - I have two of the Prinsu bars permanently attached (bolted) to the RTT. I then just drop the full assembly into the to Prinsu and add the 4 bolts bolts (per side) through the rack on the side. Much easier than trying to bolt it from the bottom. I can have the whole thing on or off the rack within 10 min. It's also very secure, no moving at all.

Great idea I usually pull 3 of the cross bars out anyway in DD mode so I can wash and wax the roof.

That's exactly what the folks at Prinsu suggested when I bought the rack. I did buy them and will be doing it. I'm glad this idea works. Thanks for the suggestion!!

View attachment 1831868

Jeff -

If you get a chance, what height are you seeing to the top of the Prinsu with your current setup??

Thanks,

John-

Jeff -

If you get a chance, what height are you seeing to the top of the Prinsu with your current setup??

Thanks,

John-

It's my understanding that the Prinsu is 1.5"(ish) taller than OEM. Like the many before me, I failed to take a before measurement. But I will try to grab an after measurement today.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom