Prices on mid- late 90's FJ80 FZJ80 land cruisers? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Congratulations! I can't wait to see what you can fab up for it. I may end up having you make me some stuff :grinpimp:

I am going to actually make it to the July meeting, my second one lol. Hopefully you can bring it/make it to that meeting.

Jon

Haha, I don't even know how or if I can change my user name?

Keith, you know how much time and money I put into the Rover! I know all about this addiction.... sadly....... I can't wait to get started on it!

Jack, if you want to check it out I can swing by your house whenever. ill get your opinion on the radiator. I think I want to swap it out just to be safe though.

Jon, I should be able to go to the next meeting.

Ill post some more pics tonight.

Keith, you know how much time and money I put into the Rover! I know all about this addiction.... sadly....... I can't wait to get started on it!

Jack, if you want to check it out I can swing by your house whenever. ill get your opinion on the radiator. I think I want to swap it out just to be safe though.

Jon, I should be able to go to the next meeting.

YEEEESSSSS, but now you have a CRUISER which in and of itself brings a WHOLE NEW dimension to COOLNESS and a higher level of INSANITY!!!:D

Seriously though...I do realize the time and money that you put into the Rover. Im just throwing some name brand snobbishness at ya.

Looks like a great rig from the pics. SOOOOPER clean!

I have no idea either, I don't know if maybe you can send Woody a PM and ask how/if you can do it.

Sounds good, I will be around next Tuesday, so if you can bring it by then, I would love to check it out.

Looking forward to the pictures.

Jack

My days off are tuesday and wednesday, so tuesday around 9 work again?

Here are some more pics!
IMG00079-20100617-1825.jpg
IMG00080-20100617-1825.jpg
IMG00081-20100617-1825.jpg

My days off are tuesday and wednesday, so tuesday around 9 work again?

Sounds good, see you then. We'll bore each other sillly with cruiser talk.

Also, I was looking at the exhaust picture and it looks like they got rid of the "two inline cats" for a single cat, which will be nice when you get ready to build your sliders.

Jack

Congrats, can't beat the color either.

Thanks Jereme!

So what filter and weight oil is best for the 1FZ-FE? I was going to change the oil tomorrow, or in the next few days.... with the Rover, it was best to stick with OEM filters, same here?

Matt,

You may already know this but there are several places to get OEM Toyota parts and supplies with discount. One of my favorite is via Onur (aka beno on the boards) at American Toyota in Albuquerque (MST). Onur Azeri works for Dan Bussey(sp?) ("CDan" on MUD). You typically get 20-25% off real MSRP...which is lower MSRP than Reno Toyota for instance ;).

866-638-5290 or 800-432-6668 ask for Dan (Dan is the Parts Manager) or Onur in Parts (Onur is currently working there part-time).

FYI: Onur wheels with us, drives an 80 and is a great resource. Ditto for Dan.

Last edited:
Just to add my 0.02, Reno Toyota is the my parts supplier of last resort. They treat spare parts as a profit center.

If you do have to go there ask for a discount, they will almost always give you 10 or 15% which gets them in line with Toyota's suggested retail pricing. :mad:

And don't forget Kurt at Cruiser Outfitters, I've been getting some of my stuff from him recently.

I just use a Napa gold oil filter which is the same size as the original oil filter. The lastest "factory" oil filters are much smaller. Plus Napa Golds are great filters (always rate very high to the highest in comparison tests) and cost around $6.

As far as oil, I use Chevron Delo 400 (15w-40), which is the same oil I use in my Powerstroke and my Mazda. Great oil that was made for diesel motors, so it has a lot of the stuff in it that they no longer put in regular oil. If you search in the 80 section, everyone runs something different, but like I have said, these motors are easy on oil, there is 8qts and I change it every 5k miles. I have tried pretty much everything, synthetic, "high mileage", regular oil, Delo. For the USA, Toyota recommends 5w-30 (emissions/gas mileage) in other countries (Australia for example) Toyota recommends 20w-50. Guess what, the motor doesn't care, they were designed as industrial and 3rd world country motors, they just need oil. There have been alot of these trucks that made it to 300k on Jiffylube oil changes. Just saying.:grinpimp:

Jack

I am using Mobil 1 10-40, but then again, running a SC too now. Don't know if my motor even knows the difference, but since I have to run premium now, might as well go all the way.

The rest of the pictures looks great. When doing the maintenance, make sure you are careful with the grommet for the PCV valve when you replace that. They are usually hard & brittle and will fall off into the valve cover.

I am wishing mine was white now.

Jon

Awesome! Thanks guys. I ran Rotella T 15w40 in my Rover since it was a flat tappet engine and that oil had good shear ratings. The previous owner used Mobil 1, but I don't know what weight.... Where do you buy the cheveron Delo?

I need to make a list of PM parts I have to replace. The first one is going to be the radiator since the fluid looks old from what I can tell. No telling when it was flushed out.

Jack, do you by any chance know the part # for the napa filter? I'll go grab one of those this morning... I don't want to go to toyota and have them give me the new, smaller filter. Not to mention they screwed up the parts I needed for my toyota axle conversion on the Rover.

Looks like its the napa gold 1515, and the smaller one is the 1068?

Napa part # sounds right, I can check when I go home tonight to make sure. That's what I use on my truck too. As for radiator, I ordered the older brass version from CDan for mine. I want to say it was 200 something, but it was a few years ago when I bought it. No problems since running Toyota Red & Distilled. I did the whole 9 yards for cooling system redo. Radiator, fan clutch (which Robbie/Powderpig did the 10k weight oil), thermostat, all hoses, and phh as well.

Oh, you need to change your sig line now

Jon

Last edited:
Awesome! Thanks guys. I ran Rotella T 15w40 in my Rover since it was a flat tappet engine and that oil had good shear ratings. The previous owner used Mobil 1, but I don't know what weight.... Where do you buy the cheveron Delo?

I need to make a list of PM parts I have to replace. The first one is going to be the radiator since the fluid looks old from what I can tell. No telling when it was flushed out.

Jack, do you by any chance know the part # for the napa filter? I'll go grab one of those this morning... I don't want to go to toyota and have them give me the new, smaller filter. Not to mention they screwed up the parts I needed for my toyota axle conversion on the Rover.

Rotella will work also. I buy Delo at Costco.

I bought my replacement radiator from Performance Radiator over on Longley (local distributor). The cool thing is that it was at least $150 difference from the stock 93-94 from Cdan and it is brass, just like the 93-94.

We can go over some parts that you will need for baselining on Tuesday.

Looks like its the napa gold 1515, and the smaller one is the 1068?

Yep, 1515 is the one I use.

Napa part # sounds right, I can check when I go home tonight to make sure. That's what I use on my truck too. As for radiator, I ordered the older brass version from CDan for mine. I want to say it was 200 something, but it was a few years ago when I bought it. No problems since running Toyota Red & Distilled. I did the whole 9 yards for cooling system redo. Radiator, fan clutch (which Robbie/Powderpig did the 10k weight oil), thermostat, all hoses, and phh as well.

Oh, you need to change your sig line now

Jon

Jon pretty well covered it.

Jack

Changed the oil this morning. I got the Napa gold filter for $3.79! Way cheaper than what I am use to paying...

Hopefully I can do all the PM work soon so I can take the truck out antelope scouting! Archery season is coming fast.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom