Prices on mid- late 90's FJ80 FZJ80 land cruisers? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm trying see what price range a later '90's cruiser would be. Remember, I'm a total newb when it comes to toyota's, but after meeting a lot of you guys on here the past few years and seeing what trucks you have, I want to convert.

My Land Rover has been my baby since I was 16 years old. I've built a lot of stuff for it and made it my own, but I have no love for it anymore.... I fixed the rear axle issue, and now that its back on the road, I want to send it on its way. I'm trying to figure out how much I could get out of it, but in the mean time, I want to get an idea of what LC will cost me?

I don't need a totally built up truck since I will be fabbing up everything myself. Just a good starting truck.

(Or maybe I could talk Jack into selling his!!!! Haha, his truck is the route I want to go...

Thanks!

You want a '96 or '97 (OBDII came sometime in the 1995...there are a few OBDII '95's but mostly OBDI). Otherwise if OBDII doesn't matter to you...'94 and '95 models could be had for less.

They run the gamut for price as you can imagine. $6-8k low side for a '96/'97 (stock with probably over 200k miles) up to whatever for one that's been worked over.

A decent clean '96/'97 80 seems to go for $9-13k typically right now.

If all your fixes are in place Matt why not just enjoy the thing? That might be the cheapest short term strategy.

Is your LR yellow? I think I saw you on 80 east once, think you got off on 395. Looked nice. As much as I would love to have someone get another 80, if your's is fixed up, have fun with it. I personally kind of liked that LR, if it was yours, if not, I would probably like it too :D and no, not getting rid of mine anytime soon. I do see quite a few for sale, stock all the way up to fully built trucks. Sometimes, a built truck is worth the price for the add-ons it has, but I am sure this has been discussed. Looking forward to seeing you keep your truck or getting a new (to you) truck :)

Jon

doh! followed your link. I guess your's is yellow and I did see you, unless there is another yellow one in the Reno/Sparks area.

Jon

Dan, the truck is always having one issue after another, and that's the main reason. Its mostly been aftermarket parts, but iits just getting old. I don't trust it to take me out in the hills anymore, cause I simply have no faith in it. Every person I talk to says the same thing "hey you must love wrenching if you own a rover!". I even have a issue of Overland journal that has an article about a 97 breaking down in the desert.... I feel like I should sell it while I can and work towards a vehicle I will enjoy again.

And yes Jon, that was me.

I can understand the getting old part. I would have said the same thing about my 97. It's 13 years old and not getting any younger. However, some new leather (makes the inside smell better), a new radio, and a bit of engine work and it's almost a new truck. Last summer I had the gears redone and I replaced all the cooling system. At least I can say going to an 80 series is a lot less hassle than going to a 40 or even 60 series. Those usually have been 'altered' quite a bit by their previous owners. Most 80s just need some maintenance. Read your link page(s). I enjoyed the write ups on everything you did.

Jon

Just out of curiosity, why are you focusing on the 80 series?

They rock.... but Im just wondering why that one exclusively over a 60 series?

I'm not to up on the differences, so you'll have to help me out keith!

What is the difference? I want an overland style rig that will take me anywhere I want to go while out hunting, fishing, and exploring.

The 60 is a great truck, however you can find an 80 for about the same price.
The main difference is the suspension and that the 80 is an automatic.

I like the gearing options available for a 60 over the 80, but the ride of an 80 is better and it has a lot more niceties.

The 80's flat kick ass with a mild lift and some larger tires. The 60's take a bit more work.

FWIW I'm steering my son toward an 80. I think they are the kind of truck that will go pretty much anywhere and not get old to drive on a daily basis like the more rudimentary 60 series.

Thanks Dan

I'm still not sure what to do anymore.... I've been told that I will be wrenching on a LC just as much, but I doubt that one. I think a large part of the frustration is the problems with aftermarket parts. Afterall I just put in a new yota diff to replace the used one! No reason in adding toyota parts to a Rover when I could just buy the entire toyota.

Ali said he switched from a Rover and was totally happy he did, but then again that was a Range rover.... I'm on the fence.

Well i have a 91 80 series and love it it has 225000 on it now and still runs great it doesnt have the Factory lockers but that can be cured and wouldnt trrade unless it was for a newer 80 series. but thats just me and as far wrenching goes its like anything else take care of it do regular maintenance and your golden also dont abuse it and i dont think you abuse your Rover but i have known a few people with older Rovers and they can be finicky. if your looking to go with an 80 series watch the boards and craigslist and you should be able to come up with a nice rig for a reasonable price but as the gang said about price is pretty realistic. just my 2 cents bud hope it helps

Dan :cheers::steer::bounce::bounce2:

Before I do make a decision, I'd like to check out an 80 in person (its been a while since I've seen one up close).

I maintain my rover and baby it as if it were a kid. I never abuse it or have, but it still needs a thing here or there all the time. Its always the little things with major problems once and a while. For example, the pass. window works in cold weather, but not in hot. The rear door lock now only opens with the key turned, the door actuators will work for months, then one will not for a week, then it will again. Its all the little stuff, and then the rear axle problem that MAY be fixed, but only miles and time will tell for that,,, I just want a truck that I can maintain and not always FIX!

So if I came up with 10k, you guys think I could take my time and find a good 80 series? I wouldn't want it with more than a little lift at most cause I want to build my own bumpers and what not.

Before I do make a decision, I'd like to check out an 80 in person (its been a while since I've seen one up close).

I maintain my rover and baby it as if it were a kid. I never abuse it or have, but it still needs a thing here or there all the time. Its always the little things with major problems once and a while. For example, the pass. window works in cold weather, but not in hot. The rear door lock now only opens with the key turned, the door actuators will work for months, then one will not for a week, then it will again. Its all the little stuff, and then the rear axle problem that MAY be fixed, but only miles and time will tell for that,,, I just want a truck that I can maintain and not always FIX!

So if I came up with 10k, you guys think I could take my time and find a good 80 series? I wouldn't want it with more than a little lift at most cause I want to build my own bumpers and what not.

10 G's should get you into something pretty nice for an 80. There are probably TONS of em around here even in Reno/ Sac that had been used as grocery getters for their lives.
IMO....the 60's just have a more rugged and classic look about them than the 80's. The 60's are leaf sprung where the 80's are coils and as Dan eluded to, the 80's have more of the modern day creature comforts where the 60 series is more utilitarian.
Not trying to dissuade you AT ALL. I have the utmost respect for both rigs, but all the cards fall in favor of the 80 series. Theyre just easier all around aside from the fancy trim that has a tendency to get torn off frequently.:eek:
Look forward to seeing what you come up with.

Indeed, now 10g should be able to get you into a nice 80. I had a 60 series before my 80. I would say I liked the look of the 60 more, but once I drove my future 80, I was hooked. Had more legroom, headroom (if sunroof open :D), more power, fulltime 4wd, and didn't have a mile of vacuum line. I did have a lot of issues from day one with my 60, so maybe I harbored a grudge, but it always did what I asked of it. Maybe try them both out and see which one you prefer? I remember seeing someone mount a 60 body on a 80 chassis, etc. Maybe that is the best of both worlds :idea:

Not sure when I am coming back up to Fernley, but you are welcome to take a look at my truck.

Jon

Thanks for the input guys.

According to some other rover owners on the net, my truck isn't worth more than 6k. I don't understand how rover off road parts count for nothing when you go to sell..... I've put a new motor and atleast 15k worth of axles, suspension, lockers, bumpers, sliders, skids, blah blah etc into it.

I'm thinking about posting it on craigslist for 10 and see what happens.

6k? wow. I thought LCs had issues. I know that you have to realize you won't ever get your money back out of these, unless you are somehow very lucky. I am figuring this is the last truck I will own, unless its a 100 series :hmm: but, I will still keep this one. It has taken me some time, but it is nearing the vision I had for it when I bought it. A few more things and then it's done. As with most journeys, the trip is sometimes more fun than reaching the destination. I do think that this will let me have fun on the journey and the destination.

Jon

I don't buy into that crap on the rover websites about how these truck totally tricked out aren't worth anything more than a total stock truck. A bumper is 1000 new but after a few years (and no damage) its worth nothing? Give me a break.... That is why I won't even bother posting on any of the rover sites.

I know for a fact that I won't get a fraction of what I put into it, but there's no way I'm going for 6k... I may start at 10,000 and go down a bit, but that's it

In my experience you NEVER get your money back on after market mods. Indeed you are lucky to get a percentage of your investment back at the time of sale.
Of course if you find the right buyer you could get lucky.

In my experience you NEVER get your money back on after market mods. Indeed you are lucky to get a percentage of your investment back at the time of sale.

That has been my experience as well, roughly 22k invested in my 4runner (including purchase price), was lucky to get 10k. Realities of building a vehicle, you aren't building to make a profit, you are building for your enjoyment, nothing more. Not to mention most people don't have 10k lying around to buy 15 year old vehicles. Sucks as a seller, great time to be a buyer. :grinpimp:

Now having said that, I think an 80 would be a great rig for what you want, but I have to warn you that you may be trading one "project" for another. Most 80's need a lot of PM and baselining at this point in their life. Not trying to discourage you, just want you to understand the reality of purchasing a 80. Here is a link that goes much more in depth.

https://forum.ih8mud.com/80-series-tech/124556-should-i-buy-80-costs-ownership.html

I will be around the next two days, will be busy Monday afternoon, but before and after and Tuesday, will be available if you want to check/drive my 80. PM me if you need my cell phone.

Jack

Yeup!
I lost quite a bit on my 60 IF I factored in all my time. Because I built a vast majority of the stuff myself, I did very well on the sale. However, my buyer was unique in that he knows cruisers, had wheeled with me before and I had documented EVERYTHING I did here on mud so he knew EXACTLY what was done and HOW it was done.
I also got my diffs back and rims and tires which was a MAJORITY of the expense when I built it.

When I had it on CL, I had people offering blue book and BELOW!

:flipoff2::flipoff2::flipoff2: is what I said.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom