SOLD PRICE DROP 1992 HZJ77 PopTop Camper built Los Angeles (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1992 Toyota Land Cruiser HZJ77 with Poptop conversion and interior build.
I am selling this for the owner who I built this for. He originally had this built along with another to use as rental vehicles but has since changed his focus to renting Volkswagen Westys and Sprinter vans.

Specs
1HZ engine
A440 automatic transmission
146843 miles
Old man emu medium duty 2.5” lift
Brand new 33x12.50x15 Falken ATW3 tires on procomp 15x8 wheels x5
ARB winch compatable bumper
New timing belt
New water pump
Fresh fluids
Axle hub bearings serviced

Camper modifications
Campteq poptop affixed using sikaflex
Full camper interior
Solar panel
House battery sytem
Solar controller
Master shut off switch
Dometic slide fridge
52l stainless steel front runner water tank and pump
Arizona title

Original Price $52k
Make reasonable offer

4DD78F5B-6211-4D24-9493-0D5C4EC2E9B7.jpeg

E7E93ABF-F856-4FE0-99E5-903061AF9487.jpeg

432D7173-1526-41C5-864F-88ED126E1EB9.jpeg

E1B315D6-766D-4DD8-910E-44E194CBF9B8.jpeg

AA5B7449-F1E5-41AD-A1D7-3727789D8724.jpeg

Last edited:
still for sale?

Yep still for sale. It's such a badass rig. Eric did a great job on it. If I had that kinda coin sitting around, I'd jump on it. It's like a Troopy you can wheel through tight rock gardens.

Crisco

Do you of a site called Expedition Portal.

Its a great site for Overlanders and your car fits in there perfectly. Its all ready to go.
If you havent heard of this site, then Post an Ad in there and see what responses you can get.
You do realize that if there is a certain number of people who love Land Cruisers only half of them know about Ih8mud. It wont hurt if you put it up for sale on that site.

GL

Crisco

Do you of a site called Expedition Portal.

Its a great site for Overlanders and your car fits in there perfectly. Its all ready to go.
If you havent heard of this site, then Post an Ad in there and see what responses you can get.
You do realize that if there is a certain number of people who love Land Cruisers only half of them know about Ih8mud. It wont hurt if you put it up for sale on that site.

GL

Yeah he is, i saw this listed over there as well. He's been a member since 2008 and is fairly active. Anyone know what the current highest offer on this is?

I'm curious too. Seems lots of trades being offered on ExpoPortal but not much talk of cash money. Problem is its priced like a built Troopy but its not one.

I'm curious too. Seems lots of trades being offered on ExpoPortal but not much talk of cash money. Problem is its priced like a built Troopy but its not one.

It's arguably better than most built Troopys, for the right buyer. More doors for better accessibility and much shorter overall. Great for a single person or couple to do some touring.

Saw mention of this truck getting a replacement 1HZ dropped in recently....? Can you provide some details surrounding that? What happened?

Texino (friends of mine) brought in two HZJ77s from Japan. This one (which is California titled) and a grey/blue one (got denied its CA title) The white one's head gasket blew shortly after the camper conversion was made, so they dropped in the lower mileage motor from the grey/blue 77.

I'm not 100% sure why the head gasket blew on it but IIRC it had a crack in the air cleaner that couldn't be seen from the top. It overheated one day and the diagnosis was head gasket.

It's arguably better than most built Troopys, for the right buyer. More doors for better accessibility and much shorter overall. Great for a single person or couple to do some touring.

Agreed. Troopies are great for touring but you can really wheel a 77.

Texino (friends of mine) brought in two HZJ77s from Japan. This one (which is California titled) and a grey/blue one (got denied its CA title) The white one's head gasket blew shortly after the camper conversion was made, so they dropped in the lower mileage motor from the grey/blue 77.

I'm not 100% sure why the head gasket blew on it but IIRC it had a crack in the air cleaner that couldn't be seen from the top. It overheated one day and the diagnosis was head gasket.
Any chance you can share any tips on how it got the California title? Some of us Californians would love to hear!

Any chance you can share any tips on how it got the California title? Some of us Californians would love to hear!

The way I did it was a bit different than the way Texino did it. They used Pacific Coast Auto Registration and didn't get the best track record. They tried to register two vehicles and only one went through (this one).

What I did three years ago is:
-Find a chill-ass CHP to get the VIN verified. I took it to the Santa Clarita CHP. Find a chill cop who might react to the truck when you drive it in. Dude that helped me was into Cruisers. I lucked out.
-Take the filled-out VIN verification form, the import/EPA paperwork (not even sure they asked for this) and anything else you have for the truck to a small town DMV. I took mine to one in the Coachella Valley. There was no one there when I walked in, first thing in the morning. Try to find a friendly-looking clerk. Not a grumpy ass old dude.
-Have everything ready beforehand. You might need proof of insurance too.
-Go to the clerk, acting totally green to the whole thing and be friendly. When they say the VIN is too short, say the manager needs to override it to plug in extra 0's at the end.
-Cross fingers.

It could still get denied in Sacramento.

Does Campteq still make those pop tops? I have looked in a lot of places and no luck, assumed they have been discontinued. Only thing is i keep seeing them in more rigs. Anyone know how i can get one and what kind of prices?

DM him on Instagram...

DM him on Instagram...

Thanks for pointing it out. I had no idea OP was Campteq, and no idea they had an instagram. That explains how he keeps getting those pop tops!

I suppose its time to look into making an instagram account.

The way I did it was a bit different than the way Texino did it. They used Pacific Coast Auto Registration and didn't get the best track record. They tried to register two vehicles and only one went through (this one).

What I did three years ago is:
-Find a chill-ass CHP to get the VIN verified. I took it to the Santa Clarita CHP. Find a chill cop who might react to the truck when you drive it in. Dude that helped me was into Cruisers. I lucked out.
-Take the filled-out VIN verification form, the import/EPA paperwork (not even sure they asked for this) and anything else you have for the truck to a small town DMV. I took mine to one in the Coachella Valley. There was no one there when I walked in, first thing in the morning. Try to find a friendly-looking clerk. Not a grumpy ass old dude.
-Have everything ready beforehand. You might need proof of insurance too.
-Go to the clerk, acting totally green to the whole thing and be friendly. When they say the VIN is too short, say the manager needs to override it to plug in extra 0's at the end.
-Cross fingers.

It could still get denied in Sacramento.

Exactly how I did mine, it was in 2016 before they tightened up the rules even more. I still worry that one day I'll get a knock on the door.

I found his email and just emailed him regarding the Campteq tops.

Let me know if he replies. I commented on one of his instagram posts before i figured out how to send messages, and he replied on the comment saying to whisper him but have not heard from him since. It's only been 2 days though and i'm sure he is a busy guy.

From what i can tell it seems they have a top that will fit 70, 80s and 100s but has anyone seen one of their tops on a 200?

Let me know what you find out please!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom