Pre-Purchase 1997 Toyota Land Cruiser advice (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello all, this is my first post looking for some guidance and advice. Wanting to get into a land cruiser for a while and found a 97 base LC. Wondering if it is a good starting point while not breaking the bank.

This is a Midwest find which has been sitting for a year or two. The owner mentioned that the motor has been locked however I wasn't able to open the hood to take pics and check it out.
Seems to be a basic non locker model. Owner claims it was garage kept for most of its life and missed some maintenance at the end of its life, so the engine locked. The pictures included show the extent of rust on the bottom, and the body condition. 198k miles and 2 owners, 2nd owner owned the vehicle since 1999 or so. The owner has agreed to sell me the vehicle but wasn't sure what price I should offer. Any help is greatly appreciated and would love to hear any suggestion on price.

1st pic.jpg
IMG_20210330_173533.jpg
More pics coming soon!

Thank you!!!
1st pic.jpg
IMG_20210330_173533.jpg
IMG_20210330_173551.jpg
IMG_20210330_173553.jpg

I agree with Bludozer, take a pass

Jesus, this is a non-running (with the diagnosis of..."locked"?) 200k+ mi 97 with all that rust? I'd say $1k for you to keep it as a parts truck for a different truck you'll find later, and even then taking anything off is going to be a headache (interior looks decent though). I'd walk. In the current market you might need to shell out a few more bucks for a nice example, but stay away from piles like this if you intend to keep/drive/upgrade.

$500

Steering wheel looks nice. If you can get it for 1k and have some space you could totally get the price back in parts.

I think it's saveable but the rust is the real issue and you'd have to really want it to justify all of the work that will be required and the somewhat compromised results you'll end up with. In other words, parts rig and keep looking for one with less rust to put your time and money into. $1k tops though the parts you could get are worth a lot more, that is if you actually have a use for them in the future or want to do all of the work (lots) it would take to monetize those parts on the market.

Where's all this rust except on the frame. It's Michigan- Most in Illinois have more frame rust and all over the body. There's not even rust around the rear window or rockers. all running boards rust. Locked probably= HG leak and likely sitting longer than he says judging by the tree sap mildew on the paint. I'd count on the engine being bad from sitting with coolant in the cylinders and in the pan.

Definitely a parts truck. Offer $500-800 at the most. Take a good battery and try to turn the engine over. You might be surprised, otherwise you can part it out for twice what you paid for it. If it's running, then prepare to spend lots of $$ to get it on the road. Good luck!

It's worth the money to buy one in good condition. Pass on this one. Too much work.

One more note, I am not sure it is a 1997. The rear hatch looks to be older due to logo placement. maybe a 96 or 95? I think it is worth no more than $1000. Frame is gone and there are too many rust free trucks out there with blown engines that are better candidates. You could buy a nice southern, rust free rig with a cooked interior and do some swapping. The interior parts would justify the dragging it home.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom