PPG, the cheap or expense (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a 75 fj40 that has been going through a frame off resto mod the past few years. Body work is done and getting ready to turn it over to my paint guy. This will not be a daily driver but a weekend warrior. 75% of its time will be highway with 25% off road. Not a show vehicle but want it to look nice. I cannot decide which way to go with the bc/cc method. PPG has three bc's with different prices. Cheapest is OMNI which will run $147 a gallon, OMNI Plus $197 a gallon and their best PPG is $400 a gallon. I need to purchase two gallons. The painter says he will paint any of them it is my choice. I have checked several forums online but still have not come up those words that help me make that choice. Have also searched here on mud but not much help. The money is a consideration here, I can go expensive if I have to, but is it worth it?
Kevin

Two weeks ago I sprayed my '71 40 using mail order TCP Global paint in urethane single stage metallic. The paint is beautiful shiny and tough! The only problem was with the fellow who did the painting..(that would be me.) I painted my Indian motorcycle with this brand product 7 years ago, Shines like the day it was painted. I used less then a gallon for my whole Cruiser inside and out , under hood etc and I layed on two + moderate heavy coats over two coats Summit Racing epoxy primer. The paint is beautiful, the runs are my fault. TCP paint has a real good reputation and is less costly than many others. Gallon and a half should be way more then enough for a frame off paint every surface job. PPG? sorry no help here. But frame off, bare metal you do want the epoxy primer and the urethane paint. TCP will make you happy.

Good to know, thanks
Kevin

If you’ve gone to the trouble of a frame-off restoration, the few hundred dollars difference between cheapest and most expensive paint seems like a no-brainer. That and the labor is where the cost is - he’s going to charge you the same whether you go cheap or expensive and that will cost more than the paint.

Go with at least the mid grade PPG paint. The really importation part of the paint job is sealing with a good epoxy primer before any paint is laid down. That will dictate how long the paint will hold up.

With paint for a vehicle, I live by the motto of...sometimes it's to expensive to be cheap.

All points well taken. I have tried a different paint store which has also helped in my decision making. The most expensive paint is the best for matching colors, one of the reasons body shops use it. They said as long as I was not matching a color the middle priced paint would be just fine. It has better binders than the cheapest paint. Then I am going with top end clear coat that will give me the best protection both from UV and scratching.

You can use the omni base coat with the Deltron clear. The important part is a good UV resistant clear.

I know, I know, here comes the folks who say you shouldn't mix products. In this case it's fine (and any paint man worth his salt will agree).

I will never use omni again my chevell has to be stripped back to bare metal after three years
paint has gone chalky and now car is covered in little blisters everywhere
Don't cheap out its not worth it

I will never use omni again my chevell has to be stripped back to bare metal after three years

Sounds like you did something wrong. The paint didn't do that on its own.

Do paint and body for a living Car was stripped to bare metal etch primed and was painted in a temperature controlled spray booth
Paint is single stage omni artesian turquoise
Very high metallic coverage was terrible
Car has been never been kept inside so that has a lot to do with it
All products used where ppg So no product incompatibility
The door Jambs and under side of car still look good
All the top surfaces of the car look like a old car from texas

I've shot Omni Plus myself as a solid color, and the PPG signature in metallic w/ a CC over it - Omni plus is fine in solid colors, and the nicest version of PPG signature was my Dad's choice for a '47 Willy truck he drives. It was $700/gallon as the gold metallic in the deep burgundy color was real gold as he told me (I only know what he said, no experience w/ it).

I used Omni plus in metallic once over the DP primer for the engine bay of a deep graphite BMW color - it turned out great, but it's never in UV light. (So sorta doesn't count).

@kjohnson - how do you think your paint turned out? What were you shooting (metallic or solid color)? Did you use a UV clearcoat?

Sounds like humidity blisters. I agree old shop i worked in once did a resto with cheap paint 6 months later was deleminating.
You can use the omni base coat with the Deltron clear. The important part is a good UV resistant clear.

I know, I know, here comes the folks who say you shouldn't mix products. In this case it's fine (and any paint man worth his salt will agree).
Ppg with ppg i would trust different brand i would be hesitant to do. Plus should have a life time warranty.

Another vote for TPC Global painted both my 62 and my Troopy. Couldn't be happier, with my garage paint job.

Best

Mike

IMG_0243.JPG

IMG_0128.JPG

TCP Looks pretty nice, but what if you want a factory color? DO they provide that? Specifically 532, the mustard color..

Thanks!

TCP Looks pretty nice, but what if you want a factory color? DO they provide that? Specifically 532, the mustard color..

Thanks!

They can pretty much make you almost any factory color. They have a great website with color library.

:cheers:! Their prices look very competitive...as compared to local paint and body supply...

It really depends if you are doing single stage or base clear.

I have used 5 star extreme primer, omni base color, and 5 star extreme clear coat. It is all about the prep work. I have been very happy with the results. Practice makes perfect. The more you spray.. the better you become.

20160830_125905.jpg

I have used 5 star extreme primer, omni base color, and 5 star extreme clear coat. It is all about the prep work. I have been very happy with the results. Practice makes perfect. The more you spray.. the better you become.

View attachment 1435645

Boy, amen to the practice makes perfect thing! Unfortunately most of us have to practice on the rig we want perfect!!:doh:

And now that I have built my garage paint booth, it isn't likely I will be allowed to do it again by the :princess:!!

I have painted lots of stuff before, so it should turn out good, but there are tons of variables to deal with in a home brew booth...I just figured out how to build it and now am tweaking as I go...needed more air flow, so added a second 20" box fan, extra intake filters and outflow filters to keep the overspray contained. So far, so good, primer is coming along should be done in a few days...then more blocking and hopefully final color next week/weekend. :bounce:

View attachment 1439424

IMG_1878.jpg

i second or third? comments above. I went with omni single stage with a clear over it.. can't remember the brand of clear but the key is UV protection as stated above. I went with TCP global single stage acrylic urethane on my first build and it faded quick in the mississippi sun. I should have clear coated it :/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom