Power Steering/Hydro Bypass? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I know, odd question. When I was doing my timing belt a few months back, my friend helping me said he would get rid of the hydro (??)and just make the PS a stand alone operation. Has anyone done this or know what he mean? I can't find him now or I'd ask him LOL I am getting ready to replace the pump and figured I'd ask before I dig into that project....which isn't really a project, since it is simple. Anyways, thanks for any input you might have. Maybe it isn't a thing?

You have hydro assist now, and want to get rid of it?

Just unhook the cylinder, remove it, and cap off or plug the connections at the steering box.

But why?

You have hydro assist now, and want to get rid of it?

Just unhook the cylinder, remove it, and cap off or plug the connections at the steering box.

But why?
I am honestly not exactly sure. IIRC, he said something about the PS failing, but the brakes won't be affected and put me on the side of the road? I need to look at the system today and try to figure out what the benefit was. I am pretty handy and work on all of my own stuff, but that one was a little lost on me LOL.

I am honestly not exactly sure. IIRC, he said something about the PS failing, but the brakes won't be affected and put me on the side of the road? I need to look at the system today and try to figure out what the benefit was. I am pretty handy and work on all of my own stuff, but that one was a little lost on me LOL.
Sounds like he's confusing hydro boost brakes. which you don't have.

He very well could have hydro boost, rather than vacuum boost on the brakes. With or without the hydro assist on the steering.

I guess I'll just leave it alone. I was only thinking about it because I have to change the PS pump this weekend. Man that thing is whining loud! If I look at it and something changes, I'll report back.

Quick update, I finally talked to my buddy who had me thinking about this. He said he would delete that vacuum valve because it can fail and dump all the fluid. It's supposed to assist the steering but he removed his and it made no difference. I'll just leave it in place for now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom