Power steering fluid leak (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I went out tonight a noticed a puddle under the truck towards the drivers side. It looks like it is coming from the Control Valve Housing on the steering rack. I checked the power steering reservoir and it was empty. I had not noticed any difference in driving.

Anyone rebuild just the Control Valve? Is it possible I have a problem with the Rack itself? Best course of action?

Same thing happened to me this morning. Noticed a puddle under the front and upon popping the hood, saw the power steering fluid reservoir very low. Before I take it in, what is the most likely culprit? The fluid was collecting in the belly pan and leaking through the holes in it. 2002 w/ 180k miles.

It's an old post, I know, but thought I'd add my experience for others, given it comes up near the top in searches re steering racks on a 100 series.
I had to replace mine, as it was leaking from the LH side end... and you could literally see it flowing out if you turned it fully left.
My mechanic advised against repairing the OEM one, and instead recommended replacing it with an brand new aftermarket one, which I sourced from that online auction site, with 2 years warranty.
Just over two and a bit years, with mostly highway/town driving, the new steering rack has developed slop in the steering... an inch or so...
I'm used to it, but I worry it may get worse.

Fortunately, I kept the old leaking OEM rack... and I am thinking of rebuilding it, and replacing the aftermarket one with it.
have my doubts about them, obviously...

I came across a great youtube video on rebuilding a Lexus LX470 steering rack, which is the same as in the UZJ100s, given they're essentially the same vehicle, so thought I'd post it here:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom