Power Steering Fluid ATF vs ATF Full Synthetic ? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
After Days in the Forum reading and looking videos of a Power Steering Flush,

I came across this question, ATF or ATF Full Synth?

After a flush will the mix of mineral fluid vs synthetic will cause Gunk?

Or Synthetic will eat the seals...

As my PS Pump is leaking and Using Standard PS Fluid, a good fella here recommend me that i change first to ATF, if the Leaking persist then Try a Rebuilt or New Pump.

So in theory if i made the flush and the leaking is not fixed i will have to pull the pump out and lost the Liquid that i put on. So what do yo guys recommend.

A) Changing oil to ATF or ATF FS (Full Synthetic) and wait if the leaking is there still

B) Do the Rebuilt First and put ATF or ATF FS

C) Other opinion, options, etc...

Actually i only see leaking coming from the seal of the returning hose at the pump... (picture to illustrate, not my engine)
power serring ponmp.JPG

Last edited:
For what it's worth, I've had a leak for a while now (2+ years I'd guess) and have added damn near every type of ATF there is out there. I just grab what I've got on my shelf and I have quite a few left over bottles from over the years. So far the power steering works just as good as it always has and the leak hasn't slowed down or gotten any worse.

:beer:

It MAY slow the leak down, but I doubt it. Why not just get a reuild kit, or a new pump to solve the problem? Lots of threads about doing the rebuilds.

For what it's worth, I've had a leak for a while now (2+ years I'd guess) and have added damn near every type of ATF there is out there. I just grab what I've got on my shelf and I have quite a few left over bottles from over the years. So far the power steering works just as good as it always has and the leak hasn't slowed down or gotten any worse.

:beer:

It MAY slow the leak down, but I doubt it. Why not just get a reuild kit, or a new pump to solve the problem? Lots of threads about doing the rebuilds.

Thank you guys, i keep that in mind, what about ATF Full synthetic of just ATF

Keep it simple and use the regular ATF which Toyota specifies. I put Valvoline Dex/Merc in my transmission and power steering system.

Using a single fluid simplifies matters.

Amsoil synthetic atf

About a year ago out of desperation with no time to fix and severe cold weather, I added some Lucas Transmission Fix with Dexron ATF to a 94 that had completely lost all its fluid and after a year it still wasn't leaking. Might be worth a shot.

About a year ago out of desperation with no time to fix and severe cold weather, I added some Lucas Transmission Fix with Dexron ATF to a 94 that had completely lost all its fluid and after a year it still wasn't leaking. Might be worth a shot.
How much would I add if the steering pump is barely leaking (seeping)?

Egg cup full of brake fluid, will slow or even stop the leak. If you have already bought the reseal kit, then forget it.

Regards

Dave

will it now. nice, will be trying that on my slow leak.. thanks

How much would I add if the steering pump is barely leaking (seeping)?
If your system is empty (which it sounds like it isn't) add some ATF, then add about a cup (5 oz mol) of Lucas transmission fix, then top off with ATF after the Lucas drains down. The Lucas is a very thick red fluid.
If full, suck out the reservoir with a turkey baster then add straight Lucas. Repeat if leak persists.

A Dot 5 fluid will do the trick or an specific one?

It has always been DOT 3 or 4, been using it for donkeys years. Dot 5 is synthetic and I have never tried it.

Regards

Dave

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom