Power Steering Cooler unexpected upgrade (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Had a unexpected wrench today on my power steering. Last min. fix as I am leaving tomorrow for CMCC event in PENN. My paperclip cooler sprung a heavy leak. I stopped at the bone yard, walked around and ended up with a trans cooler off a late 90's suburban. I'm good friends with the owner so I tend to get most parts for free so it was a good budget project. Removed all the old stuff and installed. It worked out well. I can tell it held more fluid overall also. I got the cooler positioned so the engine fan will pull air through it. I used the oem brackets for the unit installed in a diff way but it really fit in there quite well and easy. Unfortunatly I had no more of the shielded hose clamps so I doubled up with some cheapeeze until I get home from the event this weekend.

Let's here some feedback. Good or bad.
IMAG0443_zps9d164005.jpg

IMAG0445_zps710a9deb.jpg

IMAG0447_zpsee803dfd.jpg

Look like a good and economical solution to me, as long as it does not impede the cooling for the rad. I am sure it will be fine. Good fix.

I think/hope it will be ok. I have a new fan clutch so it really pulls some air.

^^^^ You think it will take away that much flow? Maybe a small electric fan mounted on the cooler? Or would that be pointless?

Another questoin..... Is there different angle fan blades available to pull more air? Maybe something off another Yota

If I have any cooling issues I will likely go with my original plan and use this.
der-13260_w.jpg

Last edited:
^^^^ You think it will take away that much flow? Maybe a small electric fan mounted on the cooler? Or would that be pointless?

Another questoin..... Is there different angle fan blades available to pull more air? Maybe something off another Yota

In AZ yes. Lights on a ARB make a difference here.:eek:

In CT my guess is it will work great.:clap:

You are running the strongest 80 blade I know of.

Good to know. Thanks Phil. I am guessing my winch control box mounted on the grille is hindering more air than this thing....and the lights on ARB... Good thing I am not in AZ. I think I will be ditching the fog lights. I never use them. Maybe in heavy snow storms sometimes. Make up the difference for the new cooler.

Scrowley, that's the Derale cooler I'm running now. No issues at all and uses almost another qt of fluid. Preferred it because it wouldn't impede flow across the radiator.

^^^^^^Thanks Nlxtacy! Great to know. And you are out west in the high temps also....correct?

Oh....^^^^ I misunderstood. The cooler I might use only if I have heat soak with my current is the cooler you have. Looks good. Hoping I can just keep the bone yard one.

Oh....^^^^ I misunderstood. The cooler I might use only if I have heat soak with my current is the cooler you have. Looks good. Hoping I can just keep the bone yard one.

Ah, hard to say. I know for our temps I know I would never use one that blocks the radiator. I'm already having enough trouble :p

NLXTACY
ps cooler looks good. I know you had prev. listed that part - but could you post it again (model#) incl hoses etc.. and some more photos.
Want to do the same
Ta

THELAL, I don't have too many pics. I didn't bother since a few others have already done this mod. I used Delare's PS cooler that I got from JEG's. I used the 15" version because of where I mounted it. It gave me enough room for the lines themselves. I used 3/8" power steering hose from Aeroquip. You can see more of the install here: https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/wh...-80-this-weekend.586191/page-306#post-9225807

Here is the unit I used:http://derale.com/products/coolers/...opper-aluminum-transmission-cooler-kit-detail

To mount the unit I drilled and tapped for standard Toyota bolts to keep everything metric.

Just got back from a 3 day event. Chevy suburban Cooler worked great!! Never got past 193* Wheeling with ac on. Temps in mid 80s with VERY high humidity. Cooler was barely warm to touch.

[DELETED]

If I have any cooling issues I will likely go with my original plan and use this.
der-13260_w.jpg
I'm running this cooler in the stock location and it's been working fine. I'm happy with it

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom