power loss while driving (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I just got a 1999 . While driving after it warms up it losses power, no shaking like a missing cylinder the motor just looses power. While on the freeway it will got from 70 down to 60 and will not accelerate unless floored. No cel showing. While going uphill at 65 today it slowed to 45. Still no CEL . Previous owner said he replaced 3 coil packs. Wondering where to go from here

I'd guess clogged cats not allowing the engine to breathe but the o2 sensor's should be freaking out and tripping cel.

Voted for clog cat.

Car runs normal until cat heat up, then clog. When WOT, it might misfire and trigger a bunch of code. Turning car off will reset and runs normal until WOT again then same symptom. Of course , once engine is cool it will run good again until cat heat up and problem repeats.

Yep. As the cells in the cat heat up, they expand and clog even worse. Cool down, they contract and allow flow again.

I think the APPS is bad or the TPS is bad. When driving it will run fine then just like a switch was turned off the engine looses power. Then after driving a while the engine runs fine again. It will cycle like this and it doesn't seem to be related to how I am driving. I am on a long trip so I have been able to experience this a lot. Only time it was really bad was climbing a hill and it just didn't have much power and I noticed the tack needle was stuck even though I had let off the gas. The first time it happened I thought what ever was causing the problem was retarding the timing. The previous owner thought the problem was ignition coils and replaced 3. The engine runs very smooth all the time even during the low power times. I am about 1500 miles from home so hoping it doesn't get any worse.

I think the APPS is bad or the TPS is bad. When driving it will run fine then just like a switch was turned off the engine looses power. Then after driving a while the engine runs fine again. It will cycle like this and it doesn't seem to be related to how I am driving. I am on a long trip so I have been able to experience this a lot. Only time it was really bad was climbing a hill and it just didn't have much power and I noticed the tack needle was stuck even though I had let off the gas. The first time it happened I thought what ever was causing the problem was retarding the timing. The previous owner thought the problem was ignition coils and replaced 3. The engine runs very smooth all the time even during the low power times. I am about 1500 miles from home so hoping it doesn't get any worse.
This is where I would start. Clogged cats are not common on Toyota vehicles and especially the early landcruisers. Always chase the simplest solutions first. Plus I would imagine you would be seeing other issues if you had clogged cats (O2 codes, etc.)

The TPS isn't very pricey, but the APPS sure is. I'd check to see if there are any pending or 'gray' codes stored that have not yet triggers a CEL before throwing parts at it.

I had a similar loss of power occur last year while snow bashing up a trail in Colorado. It would run strong to 1/2 throttle then fall on its face until I hit WOT, but it was not consistent or predictable and did illuminate the CEL. Code pointed to the APPS and I did have a pending APPS code prior to that event.

Guys,

Is not the cat clogging up a bad thing anyways. Doesnt that mean that the engine is not performing as good as it should and spewing more things than needed to clog it up. So the immediate fix to the problem maybe to clean the cat. But longterm is to find out why the engine is not running as it should be. Right?

Guys,

Is not the cat clogging up a bad thing anyways. Doesnt that mean that the engine is not performing as good as it should and spewing more things than needed to clog it up. So the immediate fix to the problem maybe to clean the cat. But longterm is to find out why the engine is running as it should be. Right?
I don't think the cat has anything to do with his issues.

I don't think the cat has anything to do with his issues.

Sure DD I agree, i was just saying if its a Cat that's bad then you want to check other things as well. And your also right O2 lights will likely come on because of that.

I was just basing it off the op saying it only happened once it warmed up and would slow down once at speed. If it's an all of the sudden thing, it certainly could be the tps but still weird there's no CEL.

Have you scanned it for codes? Maybe the cel is burned out? Haha

Got home , 2880 miles with the power loss thing going on. Most noticeable when going up hills and when the temps are a little higher. Got to Oregon where it is a little cooler and it seems to run better, but still happens occasionally.

The issue described does sound like a air flow issue or fuel delivery restriction. As cheap first checks, I would look at the air filter, fuel filter, remove all spark plugs to check there type and to see if they have any tell tale signs of any combustion issues. If you have the equipment you could carry out compression test, put a vacuum gauge on to check for air flow issues and carry out a fuel pressure test. If it was a diesel then I would say a blocked exhaust, less common on a petrol but it still does occur.

SO I finally got around to doing a scan. No codes found, no CEL. Kind of think it may be fuel related as there are no codes. What systems are not monitored my the computer? Going to do a fuel pressure check. Thinking maybe a fuel problem, pump-regulator-filter-modulator?

Check your fuel pressure regulator while at! I've just heard a recommendation to PM at 100 to 150K miles. I've not done any checking of PR yet, but plan to in future. I think it's on DS fuel rail.

I have a pressure regulator , fuel pump modulator and new plugs ordered.

So I installed the new parts and seems to have fixed the problem. I suspect it was either the fuel pressure regulator or the plugs. Has a little more pep and climbs hills with no problem.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom