Poor fitting,loose,leaking Moon Roof (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Just a thought but if you can remove one of the rollers (looks removable?) you could take it to a local plastic supplier (most cities seem to have one or more). These are places where you can buy PVC sheet, plexiglass, etc. I've always found these guys very helpful in catering to my esoteric requests (e.g. parts for homemade saltwater aquariums and filters).

If they had something to measure the hardness (e.g. durometer hardness tester) then I'm sure they could recommend something similar. I have no idea what that might be as I haven't touched one of these but there are hundreds of possibilities from Teflon to Delrin and everything in between. Most materials come in bar stock and it would only take two small pieces to machine a replacement. With any luck you could get round bar stock of the same diameter which would make fabrication very easy.

Maybe it's a bit of an OTT solution but I bet the total cost would be less than $30 with machining if you shopped around.

And think what a money making opportunity you would have then with all these jiggling sun roofs!

I decided to try the Shoe Goo fix and it seems to have worked quite well. One of my "round rubber thingies" is still round while the other side was flattened as in the pic above. Shoe Goo on the flattened one has resulted in a tighter moonroof fit, for me any way. It's a great option for a quick, cheap fix.

?? put a squirt of Shoe Goo on the flattened side and round it off with your finger?? Not sure if it will stick to the rubber part, however Shoe Goo is made to stick to the soles of running shoes.

Are you sure that when new that rubber part is supposed to be round and not have a flat side to it?

Bump..

I have gotten my roof to stop leaking but my glass seals poorly. I have to close it, then use the tilt button until my glass is flush with the roof.

Bump..

I have gotten my roof to stop leaking but my glass seals poorly. I have to close it, then use the tilt button until my glass is flush with the roof.

This is where I am also...got one hell of a shower in the drive though car wash last week...

gotta figure something out...wanna make sure we are all sealed up..

I have had an annoying rattle coming from the sunroof for a while now. I just went out and spun the plastic bushings/bumpers mentioned in post 18. Both of mine had flat spots on the top which are now on the bottom. I also lubed the tracks with white grease. Hopefully this will cure the extremely annoying rattling sound coming from up there.

My sunroof also has some upward play and those squared off wheels; it will leak a bit if I use a car wash that has high pressure water blasting straight down on it. Would it hurt anything to replace those wheels with something harder assuming it is possible to remove them?? The Shoe Goo trick sounds interesting.

Last edited:
Assuming they come out. I didn't look that closely but I think you would have to drop the headliner and pull the sunroof assembly apart to get at them. If they come out easily enough I would consider getting some replacements made. Maybe someone parting out an LC could take a look...?

where can one buy this shoe goo?

I think i may have more serious issues with my sunroof. Lately its started making a pretty loud pop when going back and when closing :frown: Its also about 1cm(probably a little less) below the roof line.

where can one buy this shoe goo?

I was at Canadian Tire tonight and thought of this question...
IMG_0366.JPG

I haven't driven my truck yet so I'm not sure if the rattle is gone, but I might try the Shoe Goo fix if it isn't.

question...on my rig their is some rubber gasket type stuff on my actual roof line where the glass would but up against,

is this factory or the previous owners quick fix and i should replace the glass, and remove the rubber gasket piece of the actual roof as oem is only the seal on the glass itself?

pics would be nice to confirm

The makers of Shoe Goo also make several other products. I have a tube of Amazing Goop in front of me. It says it's a "contact adhesive and sealant [that] glues whatever, bonds forever." The actual corporate name is Eccletic Products out of Louisiana. Got it at the local parts house, that had several different varieties of this "goop" with slightly different properties.

One thing that was never clear to me about the sun/moonroof is that even in just closing it with the open/close switch, you must hold it until it not only closes all the way to the front, i.e. past the 3/4 close safety stop and forward to contact the front of the opening, but ALSO until the rear of the panel rises up to fully seal the opening.

Note that the rise of the rear of the panel is separate from the VENTING utilizing the open and close of the rear of the panel only controlled by the OTHER switch. two wholly different operations as far as I can tell. I confused the two at first and couldn't figure out why the darn thing was still leaking after I cleared the clog out of the drain.

The glass panel will appear to sit higher at the rear from inside when it's properly sealed with the open/close switch. I have no idea if confusion over the functions of the two switches causes any excess wear and tear. Probably not. But it will definitely cause leaks.:bang:
;)

I'm still having a leak from my sunroof, has anyone been able to fix these worn rubber wheels in the sunroof tracks? I'm so feed up with this the lines are clear as can be and it still leaks. I poured the hose over it the other day and watched water overflow from the corner of the sunroof onto the seat F**K! The glass was replaced but it still does not seal to the roof opening, there is a space between the roof and the rubber seal at the whole back edge of the roof letting more water than the drains can handle causing a beautiful leak. The roof when fully closed can be pushed up about a ¼ inch, and when the shade is open you can hear it rattle and the wind coming in. The problem is with those rubber pieces and it will not be right until then. There has got to be an easer solution then either sealing it completely or dropping a suspended headliner to replace a $1200.00 sunroof assembly.

Thanks
George

This is my solution. After rotating it I cover it with metal so it will not rubbing by upper steel.
image.jpeg

anyone figure out a fix for these flattened wheels?

manually manipulating the wheel to a rounder portion doesn't work as it just spins right back as the moonroof is closed. at least for me. my "fix" a couple years ago was to jamb a folded up blue shop towel onto the passenger side wheel in order to take the slop out of it. added more folds while tilting the roof up and down, until the glass was tight. no more rattle. but there has to be a better way? short of buying new $$$ sunroof guide rails. i have a full length roof rack and never slide the cover back, so maybe i'll just leave my shop rag up there forever.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom