Poll on total brake failure in 100 series (3 Viewers)

Has your 100 series LC experienced total -or near total- brake failure?

• No.

Votes: 1,196 74.1%
  • Yes. My truck had between 0 and 50k miles at the time.

Votes: 1 0.1%
  • Yes. My truck had between 50k and 100K at the time.

Votes: 13 0.8%
  • Yes. My truck had between 100K and 150k at the time.

Votes: 69 4.3%
  • Yes. My truck had between 150k and 200k at the time.

Votes: 129 8.0%
  • Yes. My truck had between 200k and 250K at the time.

Votes: 119 7.4%
  • Yes. My truck had between 250k and 300k at the time.

Votes: 68 4.2%
  • Yes, My truck had over 300k at the time.

Votes: 32 2.0%

• Total voters

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Here is what the threaded openings look like on my original part that was removed from my '02 LC.....top opening def seems larger?

IMG_0280 copy 2.jpg

98-99 have only one rear brake line. 00-up have two. There is also difference in pressure switch. 98-99 do not have one, first halve of 2000 has a switch that fits only that years wire harness. mid 00-up all have same switch & wire harness.

It's important to order using VIN #.
Thanks for the feedback. Just as a note of clarification (and why I'm annoyed with them if they indeed sent me the wrong part), I did provide my VIN to McGeorge Toyota when I ordered online......

My LC was manufactured in Jan 2002, ordered 12/01, says Toyota online when I put in the VIN.

Still confused here....I posted another picture of what the ports look like on the original part that was removed from my LC. Would love to know the proper part number if it's not the one I bought! Thanks again, all.....

Your PN's don't jive. From what I can tell, it should be 47050-60042

Your PN's don't jive. From what I can tell, it should be 47050-60042
Interesting.....I will look into it further. What is frustrating is that when you put 47050-60012 into any online Toyota dealer parts page, and enter 2002 LC, it says "this part will fit your vehicle" :-( the part you mention seems to be identically priced as well, and diagrams online look the same......I know sometimes Toyota "supersedes" part numbers. I wonder how I can guarantee I get the one with the wider top opening.......

I've owned a 2000 and a 2006 LX and both have had total brake failure three times each. Every time it was a leak in a brake line. One time it was a line that went along the top of the firewall. It is well protected from the elements, so road salt isn't an issue - I live in Ontario, road salt capital of the world. Both trucks also developed leaks in A/C lines. Strongly suspect inferior materials used to make these lines.

No. 99 with 167k miles

I am in the yes category.
2006 LX470 with 274k miles.

It all happened after having my battery disconnected for about a week while I was working on an install.
Put everything back together and had those typical lights on the dash. I still have full brake functionality but I do get an alarm with pressures are low and a click in the brake pedal right before that alarm goes off.

I’m opting for a brand new oem unit

Edit/Update:I’ve come back to make an edit on my post.

My unit actually didn’t fail. I had somehow nicked a coms wire to the unit which caused the FSM test to fail which led to me thinking my unit was toast.

I ended up buying a remand unit and installed it. when we did I still had all the same lights on the dash and the FSM test failed again we either thought we fried the new unit or a wire somewhere got nicked. Luckily it was a wire and I’m back up and running. So my unit didn’t fail but wanted to come back and edit my vote and my post.

Last edited:
I am in the yes category.
2006 LX470 with 274k miles.

It all happened after having my battery disconnected for about a week while I was working on an install.
Put everything back together and had those typical lights on the dash. I still have full brake functionality but I do get an alarm with pressures are low and a click in the brake pedal right before that alarm goes off.

I’m opting for a brand new oem unit
Good plan....you may want to check my pictures above and coordinate carefully with whatever dealer you get your part from re: part numbers, so that you don't experience the headache I just went through. Since you have a 2006 it may be more straightforward.....

Good plan....you may want to check my pictures above and coordinate carefully with whatever dealer you get your part from re: part numbers, so that you don't experience the headache I just went through. Since you have a 2006 it may be more straightforward.....
I did read your post and I appreciate the insight!
I’m extremely lucky to have an amazing friend that’s a Lexus master tech that handles every repair and is the only one that’s had his hands on my vehicle since I acquired it.

There’s only one guy that knows my vehicle better than me and it’s him hahaha

2006 LX470 143k miles. Complete brake failure.

Is Toyota part # 47070-60010 the correct replacement part for the motor and pump?

I'm amazed someone / a class hasn't sued Toyota over this issue! This is dangerous, completely un-Toyota like, and unacceptable! Every time I drive one of my multiple "brake contraptioned" Toyotas, this issue is in the back of my mind. Even if Toyota made the replacement assembly affordable (like maybe $500 or so), where it could be replaced as preventative-maintenance, that might even be a solution.

Thankfully, I've not read of anyone being killed by total loss of brakes (yet), but it's bound to happen!

HEY TOYOTA! Get out in front of this and either issue a recall or offer an affordable solution!

I'm amazed someone / a class hasn't sued Toyota over this issue! This is dangerous, completely un-Toyota like, and unacceptable! Every time I drive one of my multiple "brake contraptioned" Toyotas, this issue is in the back of my mind. Even if Toyota made the replacement assembly affordable (like maybe $500 or so), where it could be replaced as preventative-maintenance, that might even be a solution.

Thankfully, I've not read of anyone being killed by total loss of brakes (yet), but it's bound to happen!

HEY TOYOTA! Get out in front of this and either issue a recall or offer an affordable solution!
Mine just recently went out.

I am lucky that I've always had that thought in the back of my head so I was prepared.

But also, when the alarm, buzzer and lights go off you get I think around 20 full stops before you lose pressure.

Just ordered the part for $760 and having Lexus put on for $800ish. :/

Mine just recently went out.

I am lucky that I've always had that thought in the back of my head so I was prepared.

But also, when the alarm, buzzer and lights go off you get I think around 20 full stops before you lose pressure.

Just ordered the part for $760 and having Lexus put on for $800ish. :/
Where’d you get the part? OEM Toyota part? I paid $1600 for the part and about $500 for labor 3 years ago

Where’d you get the part? OEM Toyota part? I paid $1600 for the part and about $500 for labor 3 years ago
Yup OEM straight from Toyota for $776: Power Brake Booster - Toyota (47070-60010)

Lexus had the same part for $1,000: Power Brake Booster - Lexus (47070-60010)

Mind you, this isn't just the motor, it has the accumulator as well, figured might as well replace both if I am paying someone to replace it.

But didn't feel like I needed the who MC unit as well.. That's like $3500 for the part only.

I spoke with the service head at Lexus and he told me they'll just charge me 5 hours of labor and some brake fluid cost to replace it.

Triple A wanted to replace everything and charge me $5K! No thank you!

Yup OEM straight from Toyota for $776: Power Brake Booster - Toyota (47070-60010)

Lexus had the same part for $1,000: Power Brake Booster - Lexus (47070-60010)

Mind you, this isn't just the motor, it has the accumulator as well, figured might as well replace both if I am paying someone to replace it.

But didn't feel like I needed the who MC unit as well.. That's like $3500 for the part only.

I spoke with the service head at Lexus and he told me they'll just charge me 5 hours of labor and some brake fluid cost to replace it.

Triple A wanted to replace everything and charge me $5K! No thank you!

Awesome, thanks for the info! Definitely more 100s in my future, so i'll just plan to deal with this as it comes.

Glad you were prepared for the failure and stayed safe.

City Racer part is now released:

Awesome, thanks for the info! Definitely more 100s in my future, so i'll just plan to deal with this as it comes.

Glad you were prepared for the failure and stayed safe.
Toyota Part # 47070-60010 indeed fixed my problem!

$875 5-hours of Labor at Lexus
$767 for the Part
-$100 Lexus Service Coupon
$1,542 Total out the door.

** I had to pay a little more... to replace both rear Calipers due to seized bleeder screws **

$171 for two new rear Calipers from Rock Auto (will receive full refund due to them being under warranty)
$175 1-hour of Labor at Lexus
$346 Total for replacing both rear calipers

So overall, I spent $1,888 in total. Better than $5,000 Triple A wanted and better than me having to bother with it.

B8435BE8-B760-4CFA-900A-35ADDB9DD92D.jpeg
B41A150D-7E7D-4595-8716-3CCF59A92848.jpeg
Voted. I won’t say it’s a complete failure, but after getting the screeching seagull a few times I would say failure was imminent. I replaced the whole brake assembly. Here’s what my motor looked like, I think I broke the magnet on removal but I didn’t feel a big break so idk.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom