Please help!!! What parts from '83 FJ60 will fit '84 BJ60? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Ok so I found a scrap donor truck for my diesel 84 bj60 and wanted to ask if the following stuff would fit.
Donor is a 2f fj60 1983 4 speed manual on 33 inch tires

The bj is diesel 3b motor with a fj40 4speed transmission with one piece transfer or so I am told.

Here are the parts I want
Power steering set up
Rear drive shaft
Ac set up
Leaf springs
Shocks
Front bumper
Side mirrors
Roof racks
Front windshield
Roof rack

What will fit what will not I am trying to out fit the BJ60. Please help asap thank you in advance.
The pics are of the Dj

IMG_6478.JPG

IMG_6417.JPG

IMG_6418.JPG

IMG_6424.JPG

IMG_6466.JPG

There's more details on AC & PS via search but to get you started:

The 4-speeds have a different input. Both should have a split transfer case. PS gear box will swap in but you need 3B ps crank pulley & pump bracket. AC parts will get you started but the challenge will be finding a 3B ac crank pulley, compressor bracket, idler pulley.

There's more details on AC & PS via search but to get you started:

The 4-speeds have a different input. Both should have a split transfer case. PS gear box will swap in but you need 3B ps crank pulley & pump bracket. AC parts will get you started but the challenge will be finding a 3B ac crank pulley, compressor bracket, idler pulley.

He has an FJ40 transmission and transfer case...

Thank you all so much, So the shafts look the same except bj60 is longer and it looks like the length is from pulling out the forward part which I think is a spline sliding fit right?

The images below in order are.

1) bj60 forward part of rear drive shaft
2) fj60 driveshaft 38.75 inch
3) fj60 drive shaft 42 inch
4) bj60. Rear leaf springs

Dimensions are from forward hole in yoke- aft hole in yoke.

Additional questions:
Can I simply pull the shaft out to make the FJs longer and install in my truck.

What is going on with the bj60 suspension? 4 th image. Is this simply get it done back woods garage engineering? It does not look normal.
The 5 th image is from the fj I want to use his suspension looks much newer.
What do you think.

IMG_6361.JPG

IMG_6444.JPG

IMG_6445.JPG

IMG_6485.JPG

IMG_6424.JPG

Okay... I see that parking brake off the back of the transfer case. How's the transmission supported. There should be a cross member supporting the 4-speed. If an older 4-speed was swapped in, someone needed to address this somehow. Can you post a picture of this?

Older 4-speeds have a different size input bearing/bearing retainer than the later long 4-speed variety.

Last edited:
The 3 images below are of the bj60, looks like it is well supported. I love the input here and am eager to learn. How does this affect me using the drive shaft? Feel free to just unload your knowledge on what's in my photos. Seriously you guys are awesome thank you.

IMG_6486.JPG

IMG_6487.JPG

IMG_6488.JPG

I believe you're okay with the transmission input shaft swap since you're donor truck is 83 FJ60. If you search "ears' and "bearing retainer" the corresponding thread should pop up.

My 12/81 FJ40 has a split case and so does my BJ42 of the same manufacture date. So, the 4-speed you have in the BJ60 makes me want to ask where did it originate from?

Thats a head scratcher.

It looks like the rear drive shaft has a weld seam on the female splines as if they double up the splines in order for that drive shaft to reach.

I would just look for an h55 5 speed with a split case. You said in the the TC is a single speed as in no low range? I find that hard to believe.

Agree with you @cruisedeisel this truck is very unusual. Is the cross member jerry-rigged to an older 4-speed? What else is? If budget isn't an issue, then a new 5 speed would be ideal. I'm ordering one from the dealer in the next day or two.

Does the rear axle have the parking brake? Seems like a lot of effort to go backwards unless someone was using free leftover parts to get the BJ60 going.

I was told in an other thread of mine that it was a one piece transfer. I don't know how many speeds it has as the knob is so worn and the transfer case only says ASCO. At this point I am going to see how the 4 speed drives and ditch the idea of the h55 just to keep the project simple. I want to steal from the fj60: PS, leaf springs, shocks, ac, drive shaft, windshield. On the drive shaft can I thke the fj shaft and pull it out the spline slip 3.25 inches to make it fit? Is the shaft telescoping can it telescope out And still work?

Yes, it's definitely a 1-piece transfer case. I'm just trying to figure out from the pictures what's been modified to accomplish this and how you could revert back to stock to use the donor truck parts if that's your goal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom