Photoman alternator instructions (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

COS80

SILVER Star
Threads
Hello. I recently bought an 80 series with a 130A Tundra alternator and what I believe is a photoman bracket kit. If there ever were instructions for installation, and if anyone still has these, please send them to me - I would greatly appreciate it. I got the alternator out, but I'm concerned that I'll never get it back in without instructions.

Here @COS80

To prevent bracket fasteners from loosening apply Loctite® or similar threadlocker to the threads.

After removing the old alternator use supplied bushing puller to create the maximum amount of space for the top mount of the new alternator to slide in.

Remove the old adjusting bracket and one bolt from the timing cover. Place the new bracket temporarily on the old mount stud to see which bolt has to be removed. Save the nut and bolts.

Do not install the lower adjusting mount bracket yet!

Install the new alternator by turning the dual pulleys in toward the motor and insert the two fan belts into the pulleys.

Turn the back of the alternator in toward the motor so it slides into the top mount and insert the top mount bolt. Sometimes this takes a bit of wiggling. The lower alternator mount should stay outside the bump (out towards the fender) on the power steering pump while doing this. Do not tighten the top mount bolt completely.

Take the 7/16-14 bolt with the washer on, and start it through the new lower adjusting nut and adjusting arm so just part of the threads are sticking out. Make sure the extruded boss on the adjustment arm is riding on the arc of the bracket mount. Take the whole assembly keeping one hand on the 7/16-14 bolt and turn it in with the 8 X 1.25 X 80mm tension

bolt going between the belts and the alternator. Place the mount bracket on the existing stud while at the same time pushing the 7/16-14 bolt through the lower mount hole on the alternator. The alternator may have to be wiggled a little to do this. The other end of the bracket with the bolt hole on top goes behind the unused adjustment ear on the new alternator and up against the timing cover.

Install the nut on the stud and the other two old mount bolts. The bolt in the timing cover should have some rtv or similar put on it as it is a through bolt in the timing cover. Do not tighten completely.

Place the 7/16-14 serrated nut on the bolt that is now through the lower alternator mount. The bolt may have to be pulled back toward the front of the motor to get the nut started. Do not completely tighten the 7/16 nut and bolt yet.

Adjust the belt tension by turning the tension bolt in. A 13mm ratchet wrench is handy for this. Be careful to keep checking the belt tension as it is easy to over tension the belts with the tension bolt.

Tighten the top mount bolt, the nut on the stud, and the two other bracket mount bolts. Tighten the 8mm bolt with washer in the slotted adjusting bracket. Tighten the 7/16-14 (16mm and 18mm tools) lower mount bolt. Sometimes it is possible to just hold the serrated nut against the alternator just using fingers and partially tighten using the bolt head.

Important! Check to see that the vehicle power steering hoses or lines have not been bent and are in contact with the mount bracket or alternator.

And here are the photos……

DC1991F3-B4F4-4933-8219-2D947E5BDCE0.jpeg

7F3B0BB7-7F71-4C88-822F-B9BA75B148A6.jpeg

178B2284-0D89-4ECC-A3D9-23E924D75F30.jpeg

E0086266-72C9-4356-A777-D4098EE5D2BE.jpeg

E227198B-F1DC-4B05-8714-6648C9501055.jpeg

Thanks, guys. Just what I needed! I had the order of a couple bolts backwards and it would have taken me a LOT longer to get it back in without your assistance.

Thanks, guys. Just what I needed! I had the order of a couple bolts backwards and it would have taken me a LOT longer to get it back in without your assistance.
Did you get this installed?
I picked up the bracket and alt from a club member several years ago but only now looking to install.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom