PHH Forensics (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Hornd

SILVER Star
Threads
Did the PHH bypass this week.
Truck is 1996 with 200K.
Did not look to be bad, but unless hose is bulging I'm unsure what a failing rubber hose looks like?
Did the full Bypass with Gates (white stripe) and Breeze Constant torque eliminating the Metal Tube and both long and short pieces of Rubber Hose. I was careful to make sure hose will not rub on anything.

I could not get the Hose clamp on Nipple to Move using 1 hand so I cut it with Dremel on cable. Was not an easy job. I think I spent more time on this than doing the 3 oil seals.

I Removed the top Bracket Bolt on solid pipe then wiggled it till bottom clamp busted.
I also wrapped the Harness near the EGR while I was in there.

I also did not drain coolant and that was as mistake as about 1 gallon leaked out, but I was going to change coolant anyhow.
Been using the Asian formula from Napa for $15 (already mixed) and it seems to work as well as Toyota

The Swivel Head 12mm Ratchet Wrench did help.

IMG_4313.JPG

IMG_4312.JPG

IMG_4311.JPG

IMG_4310.JPG

IMG_4314.JPG

If you haven’t replaced all the rubber hoses with new including the heater control valve, the phh is now the least of your worries.

There is so much more to do. So much more at two decades+ old. It’s a pricey choose your own adventure.

Good thinking on the egr wrap.

Heater Control valve was a about 2 yrs ago. Next on List is Rear Heater Lines.

I pulled my throttle body of to clean the vacuum ports and discovered the 5/16 heater hose that warms the throttle body. I never knew about that hose. It comes out of the block about 3 inches forward of the phh and goes up under the manifold.

Antifreeze Application Chart.jpg

Why is Tesla mentioned on an anti-freeze chart?

My 2008 Infinity came with green coolant and I believe all new Toyota and Lexus vehicles come with a long life pink coolant so I wouldn't rely on that chart.

Why is Tesla mentioned on an anti-freeze chart?
Tesla batteries have coolant to regulate the battery temperature. Using battery power.

I pulled my throttle body of to clean the vacuum ports and discovered the 5/16 heater hose that warms the throttle body. I never knew about that hose. It comes out of the block about 3 inches forward of the phh and goes up under the manifold.
Yup definitely do all three! Mine made it 24 years
Good advice to change all your coolant lines

You need to do the water bypass hoses as well if they are original.

Did the PHH bypass this week.
Truck is 1996 with 200K.
Did not look to be bad, but unless hose is bulging I'm unsure what a failing rubber hose looks like?
Did the full Bypass with Gates (white stripe) and Breeze Constant torque eliminating the Metal Tube and both long and short pieces of Rubber Hose. I was careful to make sure hose will not rub on anything.

I could not get the Hose clamp on Nipple to Move using 1 hand so I cut it with Dremel on cable. Was not an easy job. I think I spent more time on this than doing the 3 oil seals.

I Removed the top Bracket Bolt on solid pipe then wiggled it till bottom clamp busted.
I also wrapped the Harness near the EGR while I was in there.

I also did not drain coolant and that was as mistake as about 1 gallon leaked out, but I was going to change coolant anyhow.
Been using the Asian formula from Napa for $15 (already mixed) and it seems to work as well as Toyota

The Swivel Head 12mm Ratchet Wrench did help.

View attachment 1730013

View attachment 1730014

View attachment 1730015

View attachment 1730016

View attachment 1730017
There’s a small metal standoff probably around cylinder five maybe a little farther back immediately beside the valve cover. There’s a triangular hole near the top. Run some zip ties through that after bending it toward the valve cover. Run the zip ties around the harness two different places and pull them tight to keep the harness away from the EGR pipe. You may have to bend or stand off back again to remove the valve cover.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom