PeterTheBeater's Build - Cummins Swap 2026 Update

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I haven’t updated the thread in a while!

First, let’s show some suspensions upgrades, in which a cracked panhard bracket shortly followed!

Front 3L delta arms (which moved up pinion angle back, which consequently required a DC front shaft at 3.5” lift)
Post in thread 'Delta VS Radius Arms'
Delta VS Radius Arms - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/delta-vs-radius-arms.1058871/post-16019878

Rear 3” delta panhard bracket (no pics)

New DC front shaft.

Front panhard reinforcement (welds are too embarrassing to post but they work)


IMG_9542.webp

IMG_9546.webp

IMG_9562.webp
 
Last edited:
For new update, suspected head gasket failure. Did all the tests and it’s pointing towards cyl 6 coolant passage head gasket (or cracked block head).

I’ve decided to pull the engine/trans out and rebuild both. Currently trying to understand the differences between FZJ80 and 105 cylinder heads. Most likely will go with ARP studs & MLS gasket, as well as stage 2 cams.

Got it about 75% ready to pull.
IMG_1514.webp

IMG_1515.webp

IMG_1516.webp
 
The engine unit is out

Disconnecting everything wasn’t really that difficult, I would say hardest part was trying to to pull the engine out uphill. I time lapsed it, might make a small YouTube series on it.
IMG_1726.webp
 
Is there a turbo in this plan?
 
Is there a turbo in this plan?
Probably at least something.

I’m in California, it hugely complicates adding anything to my truck.

I’d rather drop a cummins, OM648 or LS in it, would have more power and better fuel economy, but I also don’t have 10k to spend on it. All engine swaps ive seen, to do it right, is around 7-10k. Turbo is the cheapest option I’ve seen at around 2k.
 
Things are escalating rapidly, old engine is for sale ;). I listed it as is for now, but I might just throw a head gasket in it myself and sell it with new gasket. Just don’t want to spend time doing that when I could be putting a new one together.

Using heavy advice from PIP and some dude on YouTube.

IMG_2059.webp


IMG_2060.webp
 
Too many things going on at once but I'm looking at building an A343F. I see that many people have rebuilt it, but with stock clutches. I know that there are a lot of mods available for A340 which came in jeeps/supra/etc.

Currently, I'm thinking of cross-referenced parts no. between A343F and A340 on amayama, to see which red raybestos clutches from A340 will work in A343.

I do notice that a lot of part numbers start the same, but have different endings, for example,

FJ80 overdrive clutches part numbers are 34633-60010 and supra JZA80 is 34633-30030. I wonder if the first number is the "type" of part, and last number is specific configuration.

I also found that "Allomatic" (raybestos) is selling some high-energy packs configured for A343F.

I haven't really seen anyone mention high energy disks for A343 but maybe there have been some builds.
 
I finally pulled off the old torque converter to answer the age old debate…does the rear seal leak or does the upper oil pan leak,

I have to put one cookie in the jar for rear seal leaking
IMG_2257.webp
 
Alright so lots of part collecting,

I’m filming 95% of it but I can share some updates here as well.

The Cummins I picked originally was evaluated by the machine shop and deemed junk…I think they just didn’t want to mess with it. They did sell me a block without core for $900, which included all the machine work as “needed”.

Months down like when I went to measure every bore and clearances, I realized cyl6 is sleeved which suuuuucks, and the bores are kind-of out of taper. I’m not super happy with the machine work, but if dudes rebuild these in the dust work shop in Africa, I’m sure it’s better than factory.

The engine is 90% assembled with Mahle pistons (which have been APC coated), Mahle tri-bearings, 60lb over springs, new head, MLS cosmetic head gasket, ARP studs on anything I can throw them, such as head studs, main caps and rod bolts. As far as pistons, I wish I would have just gotten Mahle power pack pistons, they would have ended up being cheaper than “OEM” + APC.

Besides critical parts, everything else is cheapest eBay special OR DCEC (if I can find it).

I’ve also picked up a 47RH. I think I’d want to tow with this truck, and I just feel like A343F wouldn’t last, who knows, it makes sense in my head.

I’ve test fitted the 12 valve with late 5.9 exhaust manifold and it’s too far back with HE351. The only option is really to get a middle manifold. The “high flow” intake also doesn’t clear with the intake heater, which I want to retain.

The engine mostly clears expect a few spots, I will take apart the tranny and try to test fit the case soon.

I’m using Adventure Vehicles NW engine mounts and PTI high AC mount.

IMG_3680.webp


IMG_3718.webp
 
Been playing around in CAD and going to try these things out. I found a RHD frame model, should be the same except for the steering set up. I have mirrored that section and created two plates to sandwich 1 1/4 tube for panhard bar support (about 2" drop), and, for fun, some frame reinforcement plates, as well as axle radius mount reinforcements.

You can buy all this stuff in rampt customs, but they dont ship to US. There are also local vendors selling them, but I wanted to know what's the actual cost on some things.
1790194600089.webp
1790194612712.webp

1790194637411.webp
 
Here's pricing on right side radius support, all brackets are 3/16 steel from mild steel. You can see, if one was to stock 10 sets, its like $10 a piece from send cut send. Even cheaper from other online marketplaces like xomety or oshcut, or rapiddirect.
1790194839222.webp
1790198860774.webp

Some quick birfield supports, clearanced 3/16th.
1790198242524.webp
 
Last edited:
Too many things going on at once but I'm looking at building an A343F. I see that many people have rebuilt it, but with stock clutches. I know that there are a lot of mods available for A340 which came in jeeps/supra/etc.

Currently, I'm thinking of cross-referenced parts no. between A343F and A340 on amayama, to see which red raybestos clutches from A340 will work in A343.

I do notice that a lot of part numbers start the same, but have different endings, for example,

FJ80 overdrive clutches part numbers are 34633-60010 and supra JZA80 is 34633-30030. I wonder if the first number is the "type" of part, and last number is specific configuration.

I also found that "Allomatic" (raybestos) is selling some high-energy packs configured for A343F.

I haven't really seen anyone mention high energy disks for A343 but maybe there have been some builds.
Do you have the after market bell housing and the modified torque converter, that fit the Cummins.
 
Back
Top Bottom