Patches84's FJ45 Troopy (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Send it to me and I'll post it for you. These are very cool.

You're welcome 1tontoy. I am glad you like them. It is nice to share them with people who enjoy them: My wife looks at them every now-and-again and says 'why didn't your dad take more photos of you?' She thinks I'm wierd when I reply 'thank god he didn't- I wouldn't have all these photos of the Toad if he had.'

I only wish I could post photos of the Toad as it is today. Anyone have any idea how long it will take before I can post photos again?

x10 on the pics........just an incredible historical record. Thank you!!!

Those pics make you an 'OG cruiserhead'!!!!! You were a cruiserhead before you knew you were a cruiserhead!

Regarding posting pics, until you have a star membership, you can only post up to a certain amount of Kilobytes (KB's) worth of pics. If you go to your 'manage attachments' in your user CP, you will see the pics you have posted. If you want to post other pics, you will have to remove some pics already posted. The star membership will give you ability to post unlimited pics.

You're welcome 1tontoy. I am glad you like them. It is nice to share them with people who enjoy them: My wife looks at them every now-and-again and says 'why didn't your dad take more photos of you?' She thinks I'm wierd when I reply 'thank god he didn't- I wouldn't have all these photos of the Toad if he had.'

I only wish I could post photos of the Toad as it is today. Anyone have any idea how long it will take before I can post photos again?

Great great great pictures Josh. Thanks for sharing them with us. You were lucky to have parents that did that kind of stuff with you and had the forsight to take pics.
Thanks again.
James

Hey Josh I'm back from a killer trip. Send the pics to my email and I'll post them.

G'day Jereme,

I sent the photos to you. Where did you go for your killer trip? I was a captain for a regional airline for 5 or 6 years, and that is how I felt about four times per month...

Cheers,

Josh

I think my father liked the Toad at least as much as he liked me... The top two photos are taken in Wyoming in 1974, and the bottom photo is taken in the Mountains west of Boulder, Colorado in 1973. The bloke pulling the winch cable is called Reverend Jim, and he was in Vietnam with my Dad. He and my Dad are still mates, and they regularly go sailing together.

Very cool pics.
:beer:

Here they are guys, sorry for the delay. Those with a keen eye will notice Patches the Troopy in the background. Those earlier pics with you as a kid are priceless. What great memories.

Toad2.jpg

Toad1.jpg

My killer trip was to the Eastern Sierra's, nothing exotic. Just great trails (Located just under the 12,000 ft. Elevation mark) with some really good people and excellent food and drink. The right ingredients for an epic trip.

I have gotten two emails about this, so I will answer it here:

No, the last rig is not a 74, it is the same 72 as in the earlier photos. If you look closely, you will see that she still has the reverse light which was on the tub until 1973 model year. My Cousin and I welded the ends from a 76 FJ40 onto the factory rear frame cross member, and then cut the openings a bit larger to house the 74-84 FJ40 tail lights.

Also, in case any other sharp eyes notice it: I know that the grille is up-side down (my own little pet peeve)- but the Toad belongs to my Cousin now, and he 'prefers the way it looks that way.':bang: Kids, these days....

Cheers,

Josh

Last edited:
So many neat pics. thanks for sharing Josh.

So, how did the front part of the fenders get banged up so early on?

The Toad got hammered pretty early on. My father was very hard on trucks, and the occational tree didn't bother him too much. The first weekend that they had the Toad, my dad and two of his mates loaded it up and went rock climbing in the Tetons. My mother said it came back from that trip with the right fender smashed- so I guess it made it nearly a week before the first dent.

My Cousin and I replaced the fenders with a set from a red 1970 FJ40 in the early 1990's, which is why you can see red under the grime of the fenders. This is why the tub is a slightly different shade of green than the roof- we re-painted the Toad with krylon rattle cans. My Cousin promisses to restore her one day, but for now she is just sitting outside in New Mexico.

My dad had a RHD Land Rover and a Scout before we got the Toad. The Rover's frame broke, and the Scout never ran long enough to break anything. The Toad took it all, and just kept running.

Cheers,

Josh

Last edited:
new address for Patches84

G'day,

On a whim, I checked the name 'HJ47' on Mud- thinking that surely someone has it already. Low-and-behold, they do not:idea: So, I have laid claim to it, and will be switching all of my stuff to that address.:clap: I hope this is not a problem- but of course I could not pass up HJ47 as a name. So, if anyone needs me, I will keep checking Patches84 until I am sure that everyone knows I switched to HJ47... now if I can just remember how to do my avitar......

Cheers,

Josh

I remember that toad

Hey Josh, I remember kicking around with you and Jaquin in the toad, having to adjust the weber every couple of days. :) Nice to see that you are still a cruiser junky. Ken in Portland

Ken!!

How are you? Great to hear from you amigo! Last I heard, you were selling your beautiful 81 FJ42.5- say it ain't so? I will PM you. Yes, Joaquin still has the Weber on there, but the Toad has not run in about 3 years, so the we finally found what a Weber does best on an F engine- nothing.

Cheers,

Josh

This is almost too good to be true- a 77 HJ45 from Nicaragua which has been sitting in a barn since 1991 because the owner lost the key to the fuel cap.... looks to be rust free, and the new owner paid $800 for it. And it is not even the 1st of April!! I think I used to wake up in the middle of the night with this dream when I was 14 or so....

https://forum.ih8mud.com/40-55-series-tech/239956-barn-find.html#post3639891

Cheers,

Josh

HJ47...I think there were frozen finger prints in the engine bay from you vortec pics.....crazy nut it's snowing!....not the time to convert a v8...outside!...ha! d=) I'll be back to read the rest of the posts here...Nice Cruiser......looks very nice parked at my house...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom