Patches84's FJ45 Troopy (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I just discovered why I was having trouble posting before- the photos are too big. Sorry, you will just have to take my word for it that this is a nice photo...:doh:

Cheers,

Josh

Here is the Black Bear photo I tried to upload earlier.
PatchesBlackBear.jpg

Here are a couple of photos of 'Lexie,' my 1984 FJ40 LX here in Australia. She has factory air con, power steering and a 5 speed. I put an OME 2.5" lift on her, built a winch bumper and put an 8274 on the front. I had a 2.5" exhaust made, and installed a GM HEI distributor. I plan to put either a 12HT or 13BT in before I ship her to the US.

Cheers,

Josh
FJ40 Green RF2.JPG
FlindersTrail.JPG
FlindersThirstySkip.JPG

Last edited:
Here are a couple photos of a mate's HJ47 and FJ45. The HJ47 has HJ75 axles, 1HD-T engine, 5 speed and transfer case and cruise control installed. This is the nicest driving Cruiser I have ever had the pleasure of driving. He has on-board water, two large fuel tanks, air compressor with reserve tank and dual batteries.

The FJ45 is a 1964 LWB hardtop which was restored several years ago to better-than-new condition. The truck spent its life in Coober Peedy (in the centre of the South Australian outback), and had done over 300,000 miles before being restored. It did not have a speck of rust, however, so it was a perfect truck- or 'ute' in Aussie-speak, to restore. Additionally, my mate's father sold the truck brand new from their family dealership, so the ute had some sentimental meaning to my mate.

Cheers,

Josh
HJ47 1HDT side.JPG
HJ47 1HDT.JPG
HJ47 & FJ45.JPG

Here are the grilles I welded on after a trip up to Glacier National Park- H4 headlights ain't cheap!

Cheers,

Josh

Josh,
Wow:clap::clap::clap:! This rig looks really spot on. I have watched alot of guys make expedition rigs. Your Troopy really is making the case for the right balance, no too big, not too small. I'd love some shots of the inside I am really curious how you have the creature comforts organized in there. BTW you mentioned shipping this rig overseas a couple of times, does it still fit in a container with the raised roof? If not details on shipping would be appreciated. Thanks and again really nice rig. :cheers:

Here is our 1984 LX in Australia with a 2006 Kimberly Kamper trailer. We took this up to the Flinders Ranges and Parachilna Gorge, and it made for a much more enjoyable camping trip for my wife (and thus for me).

The trailer is great, but I would prefer to tow it behind my troopie. It handles great, and it is very manouvreable, but it is just a little bit too big for a 2F to comfortably tow. I could practically stir up dust with my fuel guage- which with petrol at nearly $7 per gallon, gets fairly expensive.

This trailer works great for Australian camping (where '4 wheeling' consists mostly of driving on long, flat dirt roads), but I think it would be far too big for ghost town loops in Colorado. It would be great to have for Moab, or if you were going to set up a camp for a week or two.

Overall, it was great to have the stove, on-board water, fridge, etc. However, I think that a good roof-top tent, and a troopie with plenty of room for a fridge and stove, etc. inside is a much better way to travel.
LexieAndKimberlyHome.JPG
LexieAndKimberlyFlinders.jpg

Does every Yank that marries an Aussie get a troopy and a Kimberly? if so, sign me up. :cheers:

Very nice rides. Enjoy your time down there.

I don't know if it is Cruiser heaven anymore, as I see more 40 series in the US now than I ever do here. True we have the 70 series here, but very few are fixed up well. Also, many Aussies are jealous of the US Spec FJ Cruiser, which they can't get here- a funny twist. There are very few places that do custom work here (probably because the government is so over-bearing here, and you would have difficulty getting a custom modification approved by Big Brother).

That aside, there are many things I love about Australia- however their big brother government, lack of a Bill of Rights and extremely high taxes are not among those things.

It seems like a few people have really liked the vintage photos, so I thought I'd post a few more. These photos are from the early 70's, and were taken in Colorado, New Mexico and Wyoming. The final photo is the very same truck today (a little worse for wear).

Top Photo is me about 1975 on the roof of the Toad in Rock Springs, Wy, second & third photos are the Toad in 1972 in the mountains West of Boulder. My parents bought it brand new at Lyons Toyota (after that, Tom Lyons Toyota, now Boulder Toyota) in April, 1972. It had 8 miles on the clock, and I picked it over a blue one and a red one because I liked the colour.

Cheers,

Josh
JoshToadRoof.jpg
ToadCrossing.jpg
ToadClimbout.jpg

Last edited:
a few more. The top photo is me, and it was taken in Wyoming, just South of Yellowstone in 1974. The second photo is west of Boulder, Colorado, and the third photo is Rock Springs, Wyoming in 1973.
JoshToad.jpg
ToadCreekClimb.jpg
ToadPearStreet.jpg

Last edited:
and more still. The top two photos are (I believe) taken in the San Juans in Colorado in 1973. The bottom is in the mountains west of Boulder, Colorado in 1972.
ToadTomboy.jpg
ToadBonnetTomboy.jpg
ToadStuck.jpg

Last edited:
here are three more. All three are (I believe) from the San Juans in Colorado from 1974. Back in those days, there were still miner's cabins all over the place. My folks and I would stay in these cabins sometimes to 'camp' when it rained. Many of them still had wood stoves in them.
ToadTomboyShack.jpg
ToadTomboyPlastic.jpg
ToadTomboyLeaving.jpg

Last edited:
I think my father liked the Toad at least as much as he liked me... The top two photos are taken in Wyoming in 1974, and the bottom photo is taken in the Mountains west of Boulder, Colorado in 1973. The bloke pulling the winch cable is called Reverend Jim, and he was in Vietnam with my Dad. He and my Dad are still mates, and they regularly go sailing together.
Toad & me.jpg
Toad 'n' me.jpg
ToadWinch.jpg

Last edited:
sorry, didn't click the right 'submit' button.

I don;t know why, but I can't seem to attach a photo now... hmmm. I'll get this on at some point.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom