Passenger side leak at floor board (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm hoping someone can point this right out. I've had this leak, pooling water, right at the hinge pillar on the floor board at the passenger side. I tried placing tissue paper up above in a couple locations and they were dry, so it's coming from somewhere other than those paths. I just wondered if this is a common problem with the FJ62's, mine is a 1988.

Thanks for any input.

It’s probably leaking from the seam under the fender. And/or the rain gutter in the roof.

4987B871-792B-4938-955A-CAF70CBE7FA6.jpeg
BF38C433-8A49-47B8-AD8C-C3AE3FCB1163.jpeg

The factory seam sealer turns to dust and then water starts pouring in and things start to rust. Gotta take it apart and take care of it.

I'll look at that area, thanks. As for the rain gutter in the roof, does that get in and go down the windsheild pillar? I'm not sure that's the term for that?
Yes, that’s what happens. Mine in particular is rusted through in a few small spots just over the passenger door. It leaks every time it rains it snows. The headliner on the a pillar gets wet and then the passenger floor board fills with 2-3 inches of water. The driver side is also doing the same thing, though not as bad.

Fixing the fender seam/ cowl area isn’t too difficult. There’s a bout 10-15 bolts on each fender and they aren’t too hard to access.

I used 3M quick curing seam sealer and a 2K epoxy primer after killing the rust with a rust kutter.

The roof is gonna be a different beast and a whole other project. The headliner has to come out and I have to do some cutting and welding there.

Yes, that’s what happens. Mine in particular is rusted through in a few small spots just over the passenger door. It leaks every time it rains it snows. The headliner on the a pillar gets wet and then the passenger floor board fills with 2-3 inches of water. The driver side is also doing the same thing, though not as bad.

Fixing the fender seam/ cowl area isn’t too difficult. There’s a bout 10-15 bolts on each fender and they aren’t too hard to access.

I used 3M quick curing seam sealer and a 2K epoxy primer after killing the rust with a rust kutter.

The roof is gonna be a different beast and a whole other project. The headliner has to come out and I have to do some cutting and welding there.
Wow ok. I had the fenders off when I restored the chassis, I had the body off also. Should have addressed that then but I'm buying new fenders so... I think I need to fix this leak though quickly, since I have new carpet in also. Thanks for the info!

Wow ok. I had the fenders off when I restored the chassis, I had the body off also. Should have addressed that then but I'm buying new fenders so... I think I need to fix this leak though quickly, since I have new carpet in also. Thanks for the info!
If you use a rust kutter or any other phosphorus based rust converter (which is the best) make damn sure to remove all the paint before applying the chemical. It will leave a godawful sticky mess if you spray it over paint or primer. It’s great to derust seams, just keep it clean if you can. I learned the hard way and I’m still trying to clean up my fender wells… months later…

I noticed the first couple rains this fall my passenger side had almost as much water as yours did which I'm pretty confident is coming from that seam on mine, too. Hopefully I can get a few dry days soon to pull the fender on that side and seal it up.

Just crossing my fingers that the weather won't be too cold for the seam sealer to cure.

I noticed the first couple rains this fall my passenger side had almost as much water as yours did which I'm pretty confident is coming from that seam on mine, too. Hopefully I can get a few dry days soon to pull the fender on that side and seal it up.

Just crossing my fingers that the weather won't be too cold for the seam sealer to cure.
Get the fast cure stuff from 3M and it’s paintable in like 30 or 40 minutes. It starts to skim over by the time you finish the seam.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom