Paint Job Costs (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Hi Guys - I think this is the right spot to ask this question - please correct me if I am wrong...

I am looking for paint services in Utah - looking more for a small booth situation instead of a full on shop job. Any recommends or good shooters in the Utah area? Thank you!
Drift Wood Auto Body. Is a shop one of my buddies used.
D3084B76-26DD-4FC3-B828-5A731231567B.jpeg

Last edited:
Yeah 5K sounds good so far from what I am getting.

I spoke to couple of shops in Tijuana. They want $1800-$2K for the same paint job. These guys so far have done 3 60s that were flipped on BAT for $25-$35K

Of course the issue is border crossing these days....
yeah, if you're anywhere near socal it's worth it to just have it painted in TJ… hell even if you're further away the cost savings might be worth it and you get a road trip too

yeah, if you're anywhere near socal it's worth it to just have it painted in TJ… hell even if you're further away the cost savings might be worth it and you get a road trip too
Hi there, which shop did you use in TJ?

Makes sense. I have seen the ones on BAT people getting painted in TJ for top dollar. Most are Ih8mud members. However, due to some previous issues over the years , lots of these people stopped posting or talking about the TJ paint shops.

I will be down next week, with 3 60s (helping a friend). Hes having all 3 painted. Total cost $6,000 for 3.

Makes sense. I have seen the ones on BAT people getting painted in TJ for top dollar. Most are Ih8mud members. However, due to some previous issues over the years , lots of these people stopped posting or talking about the TJ paint shops.

I will be down next week, with 3 60s (helping a friend). Hes having all 3 painted. Total cost $6,000 for 3.
what's the shop called?

At present, my final bill will be in the 14K range but as with my entire 60 ownership, I made it complicated and thus expensive. Body off, sandblasted, heat & sound shield inside/out, metal fabrication work and finally, my choice of paint color also increased the final numbers. There are a few shops out there that do excellent work at very reasonable pricing. . .but for the most part, you get what you pay for in the end. I'm still a month or more out before mine rolls out of the shop, will post pics of the process once she's complete.

Good luck. . .

My dad put a 299 $ earl scheib single stage paint job on a old yoyota pickup he had. Looked pretty decent. and lasted ok. Was rust free and no repairs no jambs etc. You could repaint a vehicle roughly 33 times at that rate for the price of one nice one. At the end of the day.. very few of these rigs are show worthy... and why you’d want to own an off-road rig with a 10k paint job is beyond me. But im kinda old school Mexican about it
rattle can it 'til it's dead!

Several years ago I paid $12K for a quality glass out paint job with some minor bodywork (not rust, just a few minor dents). Parts of the truck including the hood had to be stripped to bare metal due to a poor quality previous repaint. I trailered it 150 miles to get to a restoration shop outside of the Houston metro area. All quotes in Houston were $20K minimum.

If you want a temporary solution until you have made up your mind, try checking out vinyl wraps. Good for 3-7 years, depending on whether you park inside or outside. Lots of choices and no big deal if you scratch it up. I did mine with high quality 3M product , and materials were only $1000. If you have it done professionally, it will still be less then $3000.

1476649D-5DA0-43F0-BBCE-7F7CFCB09031.jpeg

Yeah 5K sounds good so far from what I am getting.

I spoke to couple of shops in Tijuana. They want $1800-$2K for the same paint job. These guys so far have done 3 60s that were flipped on BAT for $25-$35K

Of course the issue is border crossing these days....
What shops in TJ? I'm going to be doing my 60 soon. I live in SD and will more then likely be going south. I've had a few trucks painted down there but nothing super nice. I'm looking to do the body work here and have it sprayed there. My buddy just had his sprinter painted down there for 2200$.

What shops in TJ? I'm going to be doing my 60 soon. I live in SD and will more then likely be going south. I've had a few trucks painted down there but nothing super nice. I'm looking to do the body work here and have it sprayed there. My buddy just had his sprinter painted down there for 2200$.
I used Los Ponchos (that's with an O) for two of our 62's. I'm local and am happy to let you check out the 62 we still have when I'm back in town. Armando can be reached at 011 52 (664) 685 4641. There is also a Los Panchos with an A that gets strong reviews as well. I wouldn't shy away from having them to do your body work as well.

I used Los Ponchos (that's with an O) for two of our 62's. I'm local and am happy to let you check out the 62 we still have when I'm back in town. Armando can be reached at 011 52 (664) 685 4641. There is also a Los Panchos with an A that gets strong reviews as well. I wouldn't shy away from having them to do your body work as well.
Thanks! I'd be interested in checking yours out if you have time? My 60 is currently up at trail gear having some work done but when it gets back it will be heading south.

Thanks! I'd be interested in checking yours out if you have time? My 60 is currently up at trail gear having some work done but when it gets back it will be heading south.
Sorry, I meant trail tailor... long weekend

What are you guys paying these days on full repaint (same colour as stock), on y our 60/62 these days?

I know labor rates are different all over the country etc, so I am just looking for a ballpark.

Couple of the 60/62 members I spoke to locally, seem to be about $6500 for glass out. Obviously cheaper if not glass out.

However, I was reading this No Reserve: 1986 Toyota Land Cruiser FJ60 and people are saying thats a $1,200 paint job.

The quotes I have gotten have ranged from $3,500-$8,500 which is a pretty big spread.

Appreciate some info.
I live in Atlanta and just received my paint quote yesterday. It is for a '82 FJ60 complete color change, windows out, sanding down to metal (I have no rust) for $7100. I do nothing but drop it off.

Stopped by local paint shop (lots of Porsches , Imapalas, continentals). Guy had 2 Ih8mud members land cruisers there for glass out paint.

2 stage paint. Lifetime warranty. 1 month time. $5,000. (60 is in excellent shape. 0 rust. paint in good shape. lots of large dents, and rear quarter slight paint fade)
Hi there, could you tell me what local LA shop gave you that quote please? Thanks!

If I was as close as you guys I would send mine to @kelly saad his work speaks for itself and is also documented here on this forum. This is not a paid promotion lol
Personally I don't want to deal with out of state (or out of country, ie. TJ) options. Just adds another layer of logistics and cost to factor in that quite frankly I don't want to deal with. There's got to be a reasonable option in this little town of Los Angeles. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom