Paint Job Costs (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

The secret for me was finding (more like stumbling upon) a fellow who works in a really good local shop who does work on the side in his own rented booth. If he's conscientious and you are patient, you can get a superb job that is 98% factory for near TJ prices. It helps if your vehicle is from a rust free area. Mine is, therefore there was no reason to pull any glass. If you come to southern AZ, I can provide a recommendation.

Bump bump...Any updates on Tijuana paint jobs? I would love to see photos and hear about experiences. I am in the Seattle area, and I am considering Canada as well. Any shops in Vancouver or southern BC that anyone could recommend? US shops in the PNW? I'm interested in a nice paint job with windows out. I cant afford and I am not looking for a concours paint job. I want protect from future rust creep and make it look good. I'm hoping to budget $7k. I have my fair share of dents and hopefully minimal rust repair. Any shop recommendations greatly appreciated!

Bump bump...Any updates on Tijuana paint jobs? I would love to see photos and hear about experiences. I am in the Seattle area, and I am considering Canada as well. Any shops in Vancouver or southern BC that anyone could recommend? US shops in the PNW? I'm interested in a nice paint job with windows out. I cant afford and I am not looking for a concours paint job. I want protect from future rust creep and make it look good. I'm hoping to budget $7k. I have my fair share of dents and hopefully minimal rust repair. Any shop recommendations greatly appreciated!
you're about 600 Miles from @TRAIL TAILOR May not be the cheapest option...but im guessing itll be superior quality job with a trusted MUD member.

If cost is an issue why not use Maaco? I know of a few people that have used their services and no complaints.. one had to do paint correction and re-polish…

I just did a two tone job on my wife's 80 Primer, sealer, base coat, clear coat, activator and reducer came to $1,700.00. Add in another $300 or so for all the other consumables. Down to bare metal. The reality is you are going all in, to bare metal and fixing everything you find or you are painting over some level of crap. It all comes down to time and money. How much of each are you willing to spend?

When it was done and sitting there what went through my mind was "That's a hell of a nice paint job for a trail truck"
Now I am thinking of flow coating it for extra pin strip protection.

271805048_5170699062960943_1042953519686091549_n.jpg

271661970_5161700247194158_6688558908584226375_n.jpg

271651806_5161700167194166_3861684359152014894_n.jpg

This one is in the shop now

272139720_5205544729476376_6168304409341280158_n.jpg

272151134_5205545056143010_4330881560406428026_n.jpg

Makes sense. I have seen the ones on BAT people getting painted in TJ for top dollar. Most are Ih8mud members. However, due to some previous issues over the years , lots of these people stopped posting or talking about the TJ paint shops.

I will be down next week, with 3 60s (helping a friend). Hes having all 3 painted. Total cost $6,000 for 3.
I stumbled upon this thread as I have a squarebody Suburban I'm leaning very heavily of sending south for body/paint work. The Pa(or o)chos shops seem to get the most love I was curious to what the "previous issues" are?

I actually spoke with Ramiro at Los Panchos and sent him pics of my rig...needs to come down to bare metal, windows out, color change, 2 tone paint and a decent amount of dent work for a ballpark of $4500 with the caveat that he would need to actually see the car. Seemed like about 1/2 price or less of what I would get charged up here... of course probably need to factor in a $500 mexican insurance policy for the car....

Anyone have any recent experience with this shop or any others?

Thanks!

7k for a window out paint and dent repair with rust protection.? Everyone would be in line at that shop.

I just did a two tone job on my wife's 80 Primer, sealer, base coat, clear coat, activator and reducer came to $1,700.00. Add in another $300 or so for all the other consumables. Down to bare metal. The reality is you are going all in, to bare metal and fixing everything you find or you are painting over some level of crap. It all comes down to time and money. How much of each are you willing to spend?

When it was done and sitting there what went through my mind was "That's a hell of a nice paint job for a trail truck"
Now I am thinking of flow coating it for extra pin strip protection.

271805048_5170699062960943_1042953519686091549_n.jpg

271661970_5161700247194158_6688558908584226375_n.jpg

271651806_5161700167194166_3861684359152014894_n.jpg

This one is in the shop now

272139720_5205544729476376_6168304409341280158_n.jpg

272151134_5205545056143010_4330881560406428026_n.jpg
Nice work! Looks like you have quite the setup. Love the rotisserie!

I stumbled upon this thread as I have a squarebody Suburban I'm leaning very heavily of sending south for body/paint work. The Pa(or o)chos shops seem to get the most love I was curious to what the "previous issues" are?

I actually spoke with Ramiro at Los Panchos and sent him pics of my rig...needs to come down to bare metal, windows out, color change, 2 tone paint and a decent amount of dent work for a ballpark of $4500 with the caveat that he would need to actually see the car. Seemed like about 1/2 price or less of what I would get charged up here... of course probably need to factor in a $500 mexican insurance policy for the car....

Anyone have any recent experience with this shop or any others?

Thanks!
He did 2 more cars for me in. Oct. I am happy with him

He did 2 more cars for me in. Oct. I am happy with him

Thanks Ryan!

That begs a couple of other questions after I went back and read the entire thread...it looks like you were doing $2k each rig? Given the price Ramiro gave me, I'm thinking your jobs didn't include too much body work?

Also did you get Mexican insurance and if so who did you use?

it'll never be perfect but here's an example of my pickup - this was painted @ a shop in Playas (not TJ). Minor body work, interior, truck bed, engine bay, etc ~3K cash.

hilux.jpg

it'll never be perfect but here's an example of my pickup - this was painted @ a shop in Playas (not TJ). Minor body work, interior, truck bed, engine bay, etc ~3K cash.

View attachment 2918537

That looks like a pretty clean job! I think the only time it's going to be "perfect" is doing a money is no object restoration.

From a lot of posts I have read the materials are the same (some even speculate better because no EPA restrictions) and probably cost the same as stateside but the reason Mexico is a great resource for paint/body work is labor costs...I would venture to say labor costs are literally 1/10 the shop rates here...

Thinking about headed to Mexico end of summer to get body work done on my Avalon. I was quoted $4,500 up here so thinking itll be cheaper South of the Border. Does anyone have contact for a shop in Mexico??? #TY

Does anyone have contact for a shop in Mexico??? #TY
If you’d driven across the border before (at San Ysidro/Tijuana) you might not want to consider it. I’ve driven across the border at Tijuana maybe 50 times on my way much farther south and personally, I’d rather pay an extra $5000 in the US than get involved with a paint & body shop in Tijuana. What a nightmare.

If you’d driven across the border before (at San Ysidro/Tijuana) you might not want to consider it. I’ve driven across the border at Tijuana maybe 50 times on my way much farther south and personally, I’d rather pay an extra $5000 in the US than get involved with a paint & body shop in Tijuana. What a nightmare.
Have been multiple times, have spent aprox a year of my old withered life in Mexico...from Gulf Coast to Caribbean to Pacific. And regardless of when i've gone...somone ALWAYS makes this assertion :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl: Last time i went I got aprox 10k (American prices) worth of dental work from a Harvard educated Dentist, for $900. Still fine as the day I got the work done. Ill gambol :)

Anyone know of a shop around Richmond VA? I’ve got a few small rust spots none larger than a silver dollar (sure they a bit larger underneath). Can’t find anyone that can do the body work/paint. I’m also on a tight budget, which is never a good thing when dealing with paint jobs. I’d definitely be willing to do all the removal prep ( just going to keep the windows in) and have it towed up to a shop.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom