Overheating...stumped (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

This is a little outside the issue but I’ve seen it cause problems. Check your throttle position sensor per the FSM. If it got loose you could be burning a little rich and heating up a bit. Since it won’t start at 210 this could be part of the issue

Whoa...lot's of feed back...thanks!

Carburated cooling fan? Throttle position sensor?

I didn't even know it had these things...the
For hot starting issues check to see that your carb fan is kicking on. Helps blow air on the carb to prevent all the fuel from vaporizing out of the carb bowl.

Grounded the Carb cooling fan but no go

This makes sense. I didn't notice a "mist" when checking on things. I'm guessing this is the vaporized gas.

This is a little outside the issue but I’ve seen it cause problems. Check your throttle position sensor per the FSM. If it got loose you could be burning a little rich and heating up a bit. Since it won’t start at 210 this could be part of the issue

I'm def running rich. Just figured it was part of all the missing lines.

Didn't know there was a tps on a carburated motor. I'll check it out.

Today I took Dolores out for a little spin.

Got her up to temp, turned on the heaters, front and back and...there was no hot air.

I decided to drive her around the block a couple times and or stop on some inclines. I live in a flat part of Florida, so there's not many of those.

At one point hot hair started coming out of the front and back and her temp sat around 180-190. Win.

At this point I loaded up the electric skateboard just in case I got left stranded and decided to venture out some more and press my luck.

Drove around my little downtown, took some pics, then I decided to hit some store and shut her off.

It took a little persuasion, but she started every time.

At one point my temp gauge creeped past 200 and I just kept going.

What is a safe operating temp?

Fast forward an hour or two with some successful pit stops and restarts she dies on me at a stop sign.

Her crank was weak and then no cranky...I'm going to point fingers at a suspect alternator.

At this point I was able to push her to a close friends house, hoped on the skateboard and went home to get the other ride.

Right now the battery is on a trickle charger and we have a big storm hitting us, so Dolores will have to wait.

You don't have a tps....that's a 3fe thing.
A bad alternator should have given you a couple red lights on the dash.
A functioning carb fan does wonders for hot starts.
Mine starts within few revolutions of the engine even when its reading 210....same gauge mounted in the same location as yours.

With it running around 190...you have a 190F thermostat..being in Florida a 180f thermo would serve your nerves better....and probably the engine too.

Carb fan. Turns on after shut down and pulls cool air in from the side vent at carb to prevent ‘vapor lock.’ Often the heat sensor wire is broken and dangling loose. It comes from the wiring that goes to the ICS (idle control solenoid on the carb) and attached to a little nipple sensor. Some ground it straight to the fender. I rewired mine to where the factory meant to first ever attach... to the intake manifold.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Yeah the thermo sensor for the fan was located around the exhaust down pipe off the exhaust manifold....the hotter it was the longer the fan would run, till it timed out....less heat and it would shut the fan off sooner or not even turn it on.
By grounding the sensor wire, the fan will run for 22 minutes every time the ignition key is turned off from the run position regardless if the engine was not started or just drove 300 miles in 100 degree weather.

I initially tried burping by pulling up on some ramps.

The gauge is reading 180-190 when she's running and 200+ when she's off.

I'll have to find an incline somewhere I guess.
The temp rising after shutdown is perfectly normal.

Carb fan. Turns on after shut down and pulls cool air in from the side vent at carb to prevent ‘vapor lock.’ Often the heat sensor wire is broken and dangling loose. It comes from the wiring that goes to the ICS (idle control solenoid on the carb) and attached to a little nipple sensor. Some ground it straight to the fender. I rewired mine to where the factory meant to first ever attach... to the intake manifold.

View attachment 1709540

View attachment 1709548

View attachment 1709549

Ahh...That's what that thing was...I took mine out...It was all crusty. Looks like I'm going to have to find it and put it back on. lol

I don't know if it even worked honestly.

Hook it up to a battery and test it. The little bushes inside (like in an alt regulator) get worn down and can be replaced. I took mine apart... pics somewhere in my thread.

upgrade the wire off your alt. they are known to melt. I think it goes to a splice in the wire harness about 6 in. in.

Something else is going on here too, do you still have the ground strap from back of engine to firewall hooked up?
Also hook up a ground wire from your ignitor box to a solid body ground, and give us an update.

Found the carburetor fan and I gave it a little cleaning and hit it with some black spray paint.

I also tested it to the battery and it works!

We had a tropical storm hit, so I was busy surfing, and didn't do much with the truck this weekend.

I tried testing the alternator with a multi meter and it read right and 12.2 volts. Shouldn't it be putting out like 13-14?

It's either that or I was testing the wrong part, which I'll get to this week when it isn't raining.

Thanks for all the suggestions, they've def helped.

upgrade the wire off your alt. they are known to melt. I think it goes to a splice in the wire harness about 6 in. in.

Something else is going on here too, do you still have the ground strap from back of engine to firewall hooked up?
Also hook up a ground wire from your ignitor box to a solid body ground, and give us an update.

I'll have to check for the straps.

View attachment 1709540

View attachment 1709548

View attachment 1709549

Thanks for the ref pics.

What does the vacuum line of the fan go to? Would I be fine plugging it?

Last edited:
Vacuum line from the fan? Mine goes to nothing. I believe that might be a drain line incase fluid builds up? Idk.

image.jpg

Last edited:
Installed the carburetor fan today, but started working on other things before I could text it's functionality.

Well def get to it you post and update.

Couldn't find a ground strap, but I did find another "ground" cable while looking around. I believe it was the old battery ground and it seems to run towards the firewall.

It got too dark before I could chase it down to where it terminates at.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom