Grounded the Carb cooling fan but no go (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Man warm starts suck right now.
Grounded the carb cooling fan on 85 fj60 but still wont run after the engine is turned off.
What should I check next?

You tried to hardwire the fan to make sure it runs?
I have not, been meaning to stop by my friends shop who can help test it. Thanks for the reminder.

Just run a jumper from the battery to a prong on the connector. Then a ground and if your fan is good, it should run. The next fault to check would be the sensor on the engine block.

Just run a jumper from the battery to a prong on the connector. Then a ground and if your fan is good, it should run. The next fault to check would be the sensor on the engine block.
If you hook it up backwards it won’t hurt it necessarily it’ll just suck rather than blow

If you end up needing a new one I have one for sale. Still on my 60 since my conversion to a weber and desmog. Runs fine, just not hooked up since the changeover.

Thanks all! I’ll gice it a shot after we get some energy outa the 4 year old.

Might not be the fan at all. Behind the passénger kick panel is the cooling fan relay. It’s almost exact to the emissions control board. The connections can be reflowed the same way.
I pulled my fan and cleaned everything and noted the little magnetic bushings or whatever (excuse me I’m getting over the flu) had very little wear. Put it back together and still nothing. Hardwired and still nothing. Found a used working relay and now it works.
So that’s something to look at as well.

image.jpg

image.jpg

I’m assuming I can run a multimeter in the relay to check it yeah?

Hardwired the fan and it worked. Ill look into the relay now. Is there a way to tell if its functioning or not?

Looked up “cold solder” and everything looked okay. These 4 points look tarnished. Could that be the issue?

7EB9E767-6CAE-4171-8DD2-B672B1C3C21D.jpeg

E2B31077-5A21-4EB2-8279-68EF8D968FB7.jpeg

That could be the issue. Hit them with a soldering iron to re-flow the solder and try it again. FWIW, this little relay can cause a parisitic battery drain if it's faulty. Try it and see what happens.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom