Over heating land cruiser 80 series (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi All,

I have a land cruiser 1997 VXR Injector and it is running great, BUT it has OVER HEATING problem, which I could not solve for now more than 5 years.

Every time I go to a repair shop the mechanic, ask me to change some parts. The parts I changed:

1- Thermostat. (Brand New). I even removed it but the problem remains the same.

2- Water Pump (Brand New).

3- Coolant sensor (Brand New) Hi all .

4- Temp Sensor (Brand New).

5- Knock Sensor (Brand New).

6- Aluminum Radiator (Brand New). But, it burst because of the heat. Therefore, I had to return the old radiator after proper cleaning.

7- Top engine Block removed for crack or leak check and nothing was found. Things were normal.

8- Exhaust system were check and there nothing blocking the path of engine breathing.

9- Bleeding was done for Coolent/water path.

The engine heats when the car reaches 120 km/hr or parked for long period with AC running.

The temperature gauge reaches nearly to the red line during summer time when the temperature is near 30 degree Celsius.

Please Heeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeelp and tell me what else can be done and what cause this kind of overheating.

fan clutch-change to different viscosity,add aux fan,hood vents
Thanks for ur reply

Already changed .. (brand new)
I 4got to put it on the list

The fan clutch is a common cause of the symptoms you have described and don't see that in your list of replacement parts.

Thanks for reply

Already changed to brand new but I forgot yo put it in the list

fan clutch-change to different viscosity,add aux fan,hood vents

Thanks
- Fan Clutch changed but not on the list
- Aux Fan.. it has 2 electric fans on front side
- Hood vents .. I don't think it will solve the problem because 80 series has lots of spaces which allows heat to come out

I'm guessing you did a coolant system flush at least a couple times? I was thinking about a casting sand blockage

I would want to run a pressure washer through as many locations on the block it would reach, and leave a garden hose connected for a long period of time.

A port and polish of the head will lower EGT's and engine temps but wouldn't be the source of your problems

I'm guessing he has one of the 1HDT variants as its a 97

I had similar symptoms and did most of the same work you have done to fix it but I continued to have high temps. The truck had an aftermarket radiator that didn't cool as well. Installed a OEM Toyota radiator and it got much better. Temp issues showed up again not long later but it ended up being a head gasket that was failing. Get your headgasket checked. Hopefully that's not the issue, but it was for me.

I would start by adding a temp gauge that will give you real temp readings. Going just off factory dummy gauge is difficult at best.

And i wouldn't just keep throwing parts at it. Get real temp readings and then take notes of when and what makes it go up and down.

Either add a real water temp guage or make sure you swapped the right sensor.

There are 2, one drives the ecu & the other the cluster guage - unless you’re positive beyond any doubt you swapped the right one (or both) when that was done.

From there maybe your cluster guage needs replacement or the resistor is giving a bad value.

I'm guessing you did a coolant system flush at least a couple times? I was thinking about a casting sand blockage

I would want to run a pressure washer through as many locations on the block it would reach, and leave a garden hose connected for a long period of time.

A port and polish of the head will lower EGT's and engine temps but wouldn't be the source of your problems

I'm guessing he has one of the 1HDT variants as its a 97

- I have done the flush more one time
- Block was opened and cleaned
- I don't know what u mean by pressure washer.
NOt wure what do u mean by lower EGT's
- my enginge is FZJ-80 Petrol

I had similar symptoms and did most of the same work you have done to fix it but I continued to have high temps. The truck had an aftermarket radiator that didn't cool as well. Installed a OEM Toyota radiator and it got much better. Temp issues showed up again not long later but it ended up being a head gasket that was failing. Get your headgasket checked. Hopefully that's not the issue, but it was for me.

Thanks
Head gasket was checked and replaced when Block was removed for cleaning and checking

If you have a 1FZ have you checked for the symptoms of a failing headgasket? Block test(looking for combustion gases in the coolant), bubbles in the cooling system with the rad cap off, or a pressure test?

I would start by adding a temp gauge that will give you real temp readings. Going just off factory dummy gauge is difficult at best.
The original gauge works fine if it not then during cold weather it will keep showing wrong reading. It goes High during summer only and during winter it stays in proper position which is less than a half

And i wouldn't just keep throwing parts at it. Get real temp readings and then take notes of when and what makes it go up and down.

Hmmmm, what makes it goes up and down what drives me crazy because I don't know it.
real temp reading o_O! Do u mean to change the gauge.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom