Out of hibernation (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

really solid work my man. My body guys says these rigs never were clear coated from the factory. looks sweet. Wish my frame was that pristine.

Thanks Alot Chukar,

I replaced my old rusty tailgate with a 62 tailgate - when I was sandng it I noticed right away it had clear coat...

Nice! Are you gonna clear coat it, or is the Rustoleum enough to seal it?

NO clear coat. I'm so done with paint and body work, :rolleyes:

In The famous MOPAR roller method thread that i followed - the guy didn't put any clear on his charger, just a really good wax job....

Yep,

I have lots of paint left over for that reason. A little sanding painting and buffing, and good as new.

WOW!!! Nice work with the paint. I was taking a look at your before pictures and it's like night and day.
I can't believe that you painted your Land Cruiser using a rubber roller. From the pictures it looks real good. I have to ask though, does it look as nice as the pics or does the roller leave streak marks?
A few more questions.
Where did you buy the rustoleum paint. Is it regular hardware store variety?
The 'rubber roller' that you used, where'd you get that?
Keep up the good work and keep the pictures of your progress coming.

It a 4" white Foam roller from home depot. and Rustoleum "Professional" from Home depot as well.

I have alot of info in this thread -

https://forum.ih8mud.com/paint-body/188115-5280s-paint-project.html

i have been writing about the process in the paint and body section I have more photos in there too.

I'll be honest. It is a about a 2-3 foot paint job. If you look any closer than three feet you start to see imperfections like swirl marks and minor blemishes, but I only spent a few hundred bucks, so I don't honestly think MACO could have done it any better for twice that., and i truly can say I did it myself.

https://forum.ih8mud.com/paint-body/188115-5280s-paint-project.html

Very nice job :)

Wanna do mine? haha

Looks REALLY good! Way better than I imagined for a roller. (My grandfather once Rustoleum painted his VW beetle with a brush= bad results). Like to see some poser shots when it's fully back together. What happened to your windshield??

That paint looks great! Nice work, and another fine Black and Tan! Grill looks good too

THanks man, I've admired your rig a long time. Mine spent most of it's life in Bayfield at my Dad's place.

Looks REALLY good! Way better than I imagined for a roller. (My grandfather once Rustoleum painted his VW beetle with a brush= bad results). Like to see some poser shots when it's fully back together. What happened to your windshield??

It's really the thinned paint and how much you sand it. You have to sand the paint so it gets ultra smooth, then buff to a shine.

I think the neighbor kids hit the windsheild with a rock. but it was cracked all to sh*t before that anyway.

Here's More Photos - also posted in Paint and Body.

Got insurance last week, Cheap!. Going for temp tags this weekend to get me to the Muffler shop, and the Emmissions place. :steer:

IMG_1944.jpg

IMG_1947.jpg

IMG_1946.jpg

IMG_1948.jpg

IMG_1949.jpg

wow! just wow! that is amazing. congrats on ur excellent work. you have a beautiful cruiser:beer:

Last edited:
Well done!:beer::beer::beer:

Man, I haven't updated this in a while! I have had a great summer, and been Busy although not as much with the Cruiser as I would like.

My 60 has seen some work though, but I have been slacking with the Photos.

- I updated the Emissions system and Passed the inspection. I now have collector plates good until 2013 and no emissions ever again!

- I bought some very nice looking Interior door panels from a fellow Mudder and put those in along with some rubberized soundproofing, it really did a good job quieting the cab, and I plan to put more under the new carpet.

I fixed my steering wheel which was way out of alignment, and inadvertantly fixed the limited steering radius problem I was having. The connector arm was not nearly crancked down enough. So its been a Quiet but good Summer for working on the 60.

My next project is going to be to Fab my own Sliders! I bought a welder earlier this year, and have been practicing. If it goes well, I may even try a rear bumper.

The interior still needs a lot of work. Carpet, seats (or covers), headliner, dashcover, cleaning, tuffy console, and on and on.

$$$$ :rolleyes:

Some time soon, I really want to get the smogg stuff out as well.

nice looking rig

You've done a great job with that FJ.

I like the Aussie mirrors. Which ones did you get? Do they rattle?

Congrats on the emissions.

They're the SOR knock-offs. They don't rattle at all.

They take a little getting used to though as they are very "fish-eyed"

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom