"Other" Toyota 4x4 Vehicle Tech and Classifieds (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

@jynx The 2010+ 4runner uses a smaller blank apparently. That's what I've gathered from my research this morning looking for switches that would fit.

I've not checked the part number, but I think this is what came with it, and I called SSO and they confirmed that it does require triming for my 4runner:
CONTURA V, BLUE/BLUE LEDS, UPPER LED INDEPENDENT

What I've found so far that "should" fit the smaller blank:

12 Volt 3amp ON-OFF Toyota OEM Replacement Push Switch with LED green red lights -Air On Board

Amazon.com: MICTUNING [New] LED Push Button Switch with Connector Wire Kit for Toyota - LED LIGHT BAR Symbol -Red: Automotive

and maybe this bottom Slee
Slee - Electrical Switches

Man, sucks that they changed the size like that.

Cant you just order an OEM 5th gen 4Runner switch and make it work...straight from Toyota?

I just measured (totally scientifically), put a tape measure on the tire under the edge of the fender front and back. The front is a good 2"+ lower. I think stock its like ~3/4" lower than the back, but this is a little nuts.

Guess i need the front suspension pretty quick.

Cant you just order an OEM 5th gen 4Runner switch and make it work...straight from Toyota?

Yeah, that seems to be basically what the SLEE switch is. I could get another toyota fog light switch, looks identical. Not sure what Toyota wants for a switch... may be worth looking at. Or.... drink and dremel...

Yep. And you will want the suspension upgrades anyway if you plan on taking that truck anywhere that winch might be needed. On the #taf trip (pre lift), i bottomed out several times. On the recent trip (on some similar trails), all free and clear.

Yep. That's the deal. I have the bigger 2.5" coil overs so it only hit me for 1" additional but its still a bit annoying. My only option without tossing a perfectly good front setup is to add a $180 1 inch spacer plus 3 hours labor plus an alignment.

I'll live with it.

Yep. And you will want the suspension upgrades anyway if you plan on taking that truck anywhere that winch might be needed. On the #taf trip (pre lift), i bottomed out several times. On the recent trip (on some similar trails), all free and clear.

Yours is a SR5 too right?

There's a bit of a disagreement over the weight of the bumper. SSO says 67 lbs. Rob swears it weighs as much as a full ARB.

I wonder if just 5100s would support the weight? I'd have to go to over 2" maybe the full 3" on them to get them back to level with the back. Maybe go with OME 887 (+230lbs+) or 885 (+110lbs), I believe both are 2" lift and work with the 5100s. Just not sure on the weight. Toytec sells coilovers that can be used with 5100s that can do up to a 3 inch lift. Maybe those with 2" springs in the back would put it back to about stock proportions, just 2 inches higher.

Of course the SSO guys were running ICON level bazillion kits.

Will read some more on T4R and see what's what.

The 5100's aren't "supporting" anything, they simply smooth out the ride (reducing bounciness). As Nolen said, a spacer will get you level, but if you plan to wheel it, then consider replacing the entire coilover. I'm not a fan of Old Man Emu because they are so stiff, but they do get the job done. UCA's are necessary to get a true alignment back after lifting it more than 2".

@BMThiker yeah, poor word choice. I guess what I'm thinking is to go back to stock height, the 5100s could do that set to ~2" with 0 lift in the back. To lift front and back equally, relative to stock, I'll need to add springs (toytec says the OME 887 or something similar for bumper+winch) to compensate for the weight in the front.

Make sure the spring that they are suggesting isn't going to give you 2" of lift with the added weight. I know the coils are rated at lbs per inch or something like that. So if the 887 is put on an unloaded front, will it give like 1.5"-2" of lift and will settle in at roughly stock height with the extra weight on it. May be preaching to the choir, just don't want you to end up rolling Cali style.

@jynx me neither!
My understanding is that OME has 3 springs, the 883 for 2" lift unloaded, 885 for 2" lift with a winch or bumper (+110lbs) or the 887 for a 2" lift with a winch and bump (+230lbs).

So to level, maybe 5100s on their own, but I don't know if they can lift 2" on their own given the weight. Maybe the 883 +5100s would level, but that may end up too high in the front. I'm not sure how the 2" drop from the weight will interact with the +2 inch springs and then what would the 5100s need to be set to? Stock height or +.75"? I'm assuming the weight will essentially take away the lift from the OME springs, but they are still harder than stock, so if I'm lucky the truck will be level or roughly proportional to stock. If I'm unlucky, I'll be racoon hunting.

Going through T4R to find someone with the bumper and a winch to look at their suspension setups....

Ok, I am slow so please forgive this question, which I am sure has been answered above that I missed. You are looking to get about 2" of lift, correct? Or stay roughly stock?

If looking for a 2", the 5100 will let you dial in the height a little better, as Rick mentioned the shock itself is only locating the spring relative to the body. The spring is what will hold everything up. If you go with an adjustable shock, then the capacity of the coil is a little less important, especially if you aren't looking to go the the max height the shock body allows.

So the 5100 with the 885 on the lowest setting with your bumper and winch would likely settle in at a little over an inch. If that were the case, you could step up to the first notch on the body to gain the additional 0.75" to get you the 2" you a looking for. The 887 would likely give you the full 2"+ on the base setting, but would likely be a little stiffer as the coil is likely rolled from heavier gauge wire. The 883 would work, but might require you to take the 5100 up to its highest setting to compensate for the squish of the spring from the weight up front.

I hope that makes sense. You have 2 factors you are looking to balance, spring rate and mounting height. By having an adjustable mounting height, you can chose a spring that will give you nice ride and response for the weight you are carrying and then use the adjustability to of the spring mount to dial in height.

@jynx well stated. The "locating the spring relative to the body" is the part of the relationship I wasn't 100% on. That clears that up for me.

You're not slow. I'm torn on whether to do the lift or not. I feel silly buying all of the parts and not lifting at all. But I'll probably have clearance issues with my garage. My lift gate already hits cross supports on my garage door if I'm not pulled way in. But, a little foam padding, weather stripping or something on the cross supports will take care of that I suppose. So I want to put together both options, look at costs, and then decide. I want the lift... kinda trying to talk my self out of it, but know I'll probably end up lifting 2" any way.

This looks like the best place for this. 49 Tire (I'd say @wct49 , but we know it was really @offr0adlim0 ) installed the SSO bumper yesterday for me. Got a Come UP DV-9 winch from @wct49 as well. Looks clean installed, they did a great job.

Light bar is the 30" Heiss, I got that from SSO with the bumper. No where did it say that some trimming would be required for the "premium" rocker switch. Debating whether to find one that will fit (the ones i can find are only 3 amp switches and that Rocker is a 20 amp) or getting @offr0adlim0 drunk at the next meeting and letting him cut up my dash. Or maybe getting drunk myself and doing it....

Thanks for the biz. @offr0adlim0 says with the ComeUp winch that is a heavy mofo bumper.
And I did order the winch so theres that even if I dont know how to install it....

Thanks for the biz. @offr0adlim0 says with the ComeUp winch that is a heavy mofo bumper.
And I did order the winch so theres that even if I dont know how to install it....

You did a great job ordering the Winch, the personal attention setting the up the appointment and follow up communication during the day almost made me feel special. Even left you a 5 star review on SureCritic or whatever the automated e-mail wanted me to do. I'm prepared to even leave a nice comment on facebook as well.

And don't feel bad, I figured I couldn't install the bumper/winch anyway myself! I appreciate good shops like yours. They let people like me not have to worry about all that installation/fit/finish issues. Just means I get the toys/upgrades a little slower since I have to pay the lazy tax.

Last edited:
IMG_2607.jpg
IMG_2606.jpg

Trying to rig up a way to run a tonneau and some way to put a RTT tent above it. Think I found a way.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom