Ordered my Steering Rack today...what else do I need.....? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Have my Steering Rack ordered (99 LX470) and some Whiteline Bushings. I am going to replace the lines to the P/S pump also...so I have ordered the copper gaskets for the lines. Is there anything else I will need, or other 'while you are in there' items?

Don't want to have it all pulled apart and be without something crucial.

Thank You in advance,

Flint.

I'd hold on to the Toyota bushings with the new rack instead of replacing them right away with polys. The comfort of the toyota bushings are light years ahead of polys.

Are you replacing outer tie rod ends as well?

Are you replacing outer tie rod ends as well?

Yes, 555's

Going to place an order with Kurt for these and some other things.

Order placed today. 'Chris @ Cruiser Outfitters' took my order and helped me figure out a few things. Great place to get parts.

Last edited:
Below are all single-use parts according to the FSM. I added the TRE jam nuts 'cause they're usually buggered from previous alignments.

2x 90105-14121, Bolt, Washer Based (rack mounting, single-use part)
2x 90101-14021, Steering Arm Bolt (rack mounting, single-use part)
2x 90178-14003, Nut, Flange (rack mounting, single-use part)
2x 90560-15018, Spacer (rack mounting, single-use part)
2x 90170-20003, Nut, Hexagon (TRE jam nuts)
1x 44327-30030, Pressure Hose Gasket (single-use part)

Also, I second running the two small OEM rubber bushings that come pre-installed in the rack, and upgrading only the large bushing to poly.

Did you read through my .pdf for tips & tricks?

Attachments

• Land Cruiser steering rack.pdf
    132.9 KB · Views: 374
Last edited:
Below are all single-use parts according to the FSM. I added the TRE jam nuts cause they're usually buggered from previous alignments.

2x 90105-14121, Bolt, Washer Based (rack mounting, single-use part)
2x 90101-14021, Steering Arm Bolt (rack mounting, single-use part)
2x 90178-14003, Nut, Flange (rack mounting, single-use part)
2x 90560-15018, Spacer (rack mounting, single-use part)
2x 90170-20003, Nut, Hexagon (TRE jam nuts)
1x 44327-30030, Pressure Hose Gasket (single-use part)

Did you read through my .pdf for tips & tricks?

Just what I needed, thanks. Come to think of it...I DID save that PDF some time ago, just forgot about it. I will use it for instruction. Thank you for all your hard work putting it together.

What's the verdict? Poly bushings or keep the OEM Toyota ones in?

Beer.
Coors lite

Nope..... a nice cold Dos Equis for me.

Dos Equis Texxas.png

Anyone replace the PS pump when replacing the rack? I'm going to have to do this job sometime very soon as well. My LX has 283k miles on it and the rack is finally giving up the ghost.

Anyone replace the PS pump when replacing the rack? I'm going to have to do this job sometime very soon as well. My LX has 283k miles on it and the rack is finally giving up the ghost.
I did, but I had problems with both

I'm going to use the Whiteline D bushing and leave the OEM's in the steering rack for now.
I took the same approach when I replaced my rack. Replaced the D with Whiteline and put the other Whiteline bushings on the shelf. I ended up replacing the bushings in the rack a couple of years later with the left over Whitelines since the rack was moving around. Never noticed any more road feedback in the steering wheel with the poly Whitelines than when it was all rubber bushings before the rack replacement, only improved steering responsiveness.

Well, as luck would have it, my rack went out this afternoon. These things are a beast to drive without any power steering and 33" tires. I'll probably replace the rack, hoses, and pump at this point. Wish me luck.

What symptoms are you guys getting from your racks before deciding to replace? @Jrod definitely curious what happened with yours today.

Have my Steering Rack ordered (99 LX470) and some Whiteline Bushings. I am going to replace the lines to the P/S pump also...so I have ordered the copper gaskets for the lines. Is there anything else I will need, or other 'while you are in there' items?

Don't want to have it all pulled apart and be without something crucial.

Thank You in advance,

Flint.
replacing steering Rack will require to remove oil filter assembly or you will not be able to get that thing out with that you will need a small hose that goes from oil filter assembly to the block as it will be as hard as plastic and if you reuse it will leak

What symptoms are you guys getting from your racks before deciding to replace? @Jrod definitely curious what happened with yours today.

Mine (225K miles) is starting to leak a little bit, but my bushings are worn out and my Wife says it is steering more like a boat than a truck. So best to replace it. I have other things I need to check while I'm in there anyway (Axles, Diff bushing, Repack wheel bearings, Brake pads and rotors, check ball joints).

replacing steering Rack will require to remove oil filter assembly or you will not be able to get that thing out with that you will need a small hose that goes from oil filter assembly to the block as it will be as hard as plastic and if you reuse it will leak

^^^^

I think unbolting the drivers side motor mount and jacking up the engine a little... avoids the Oil Filter assy. issue.

I took the same approach when I replaced my rack. Replaced the D with Whiteline and put the other Whiteline bushings on the shelf. I ended up replacing the bushings in the rack a couple of years later with the left over Whitelines since the rack was moving around. Never noticed any more road feedback in the steering wheel with the poly Whitelines than when it was all rubber bushings before the rack replacement, only improved steering responsiveness.

Mine showed up today.

Whiteline Bushings.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom