One ton Chevy drag link and tie rod end conversion (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Deathvalleypaul

FJ80 Collector
SILVER Star
Threads
Has anyone else done this. I am in process, but cannot find a place to run steering stabilizer.
I would appreciate advice from anyone else who HAS ACTUALLY DONE THIS.
I do not wish to sacrifice the stabilizer. It doesn't seem feasible to run it to the tie rod either.

Get a good sturdy steel shaft collar that fits on the drag link and weld tabs on it.

There is a write up about this somewhere here... Search...

Lots of aftermarket stabilizer kits come with mounting hardware to mount however/wherever you want on drag link or tie rod.

Thanks, It is a matter of making it fit. I am using 1 1/2" tubing for the drag link, and I can't find a place to fit the stabilizer. I can weld tabs on anywhere but the stabilizer has to fit.

Are you keeping the tie rod behind the axle? I just converted the tierod to chevy stuff with 1.25OD .25" wall tube. That allowed me to ream it to raise the tierod link a bit and clear radious arms better. Eventually I'll end up with front mount I would guess but money wise it wasn't in the cards. This should make less noise/contact with max caster correction without grinding the arm down like some have done. That's the direction I went

THANK YOU. So you stayed with stock tie rod ends on the drag link side?
Yes, I am keeping the tie rod behind the axle, and planned on leaving it with factory tie rod ends and an oversize tie rod bar.
I still haven't found the clearance for a stabilizer. I wish I could find one 7/8" to 1" diameter with same long-short specs as Factory.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom