OME Shackle angle issue (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm sure its here, but I can't find it.

I put OME 2.5" lift springs on my Fj40. I also put on new SOR greaseable shackles. After a year of driving around, the shackles are still nearly vertical, front and back. Is there a solution for this? I run a hard top from September to May, then topless for the warmer months. Generally t he ride is nice, but if there is a hard bump in the road it is jarring.
1691443820936.png

1691443841787.png

You have 3 options.

1) add a ton of extra weight to the truck like 12 bags of quick Crete. Flex it a ton driving 45 degrees through ditches

2) start removing leafs from the pack

3) ditch it all and run a Dobinsons IMS setup. It’s actually designed to run with vertical shackles.

You have 3 options.

1) add a ton of extra weight to the truck like 12 bags of quick Crete. Flex it a ton driving 45 degrees through ditches

2) start removing leafs from the pack

3) ditch it all and run a Dobinsons IMS setup. It’s actually designed to run with vertical shackles.
wngrog

I have asked the question related to item 2) "start removing leafs from the pack" on several threads but cannot get an answer. I have 4" lift HFS springs, my shackle angle is right on, but my ride is very very rough. I took the advice of one member and replaced my old HFS shocks (they were toast) with Bilstein B8 5125's from City Racer. This made the jarring bumps a pit softer, but the overall ride is still very stiff. If I were to remove a leaf, what leaf would be recommended for both front and rear. Thanks for any advice.

wngrog

I have asked the question related to item 2) "start removing leafs from the pack" on several threads but cannot get an answer. I have 4" lift HFS springs, my shackle angle is right on, but my ride is very very rough. I took the advice of one member and replaced my old HFS shocks (they were toast) with Bilstein B8 5125's from City Racer. This made the jarring bumps a pit softer, but the overall ride is still very stiff. If I were to remove a leaf, what leaf would be recommended for both front and rear. Thanks for any advice.

Man. The HFS is pure brick ride for sure.

You can easily remove any leaf that does not have a U riveted to it. Start with the longest from the top that does not have one.

Remove it.

Also remove the useless small ones at the bottom.

Man. The HFS is pure brick ride for sure.

You can easily remove any leaf that does not have a U riveted to it. Start with the longest from the top that does not have one.

Remove it.

Also remove the useless small ones at the bottom.
My longest leaf that does not have a U riveted to it would be the 1st leaf for both front and rear, see pics below, has anyone done this and have the mounting leaf not flatten out since not supported? Willing to give it a shot since the wife wont drive in it the way it drives now. I'm not a hard-core rocker but my son wants to take it to the Rubicon here in Nor Cal. Pics taken before shock replacement.

IMG_0669.JPEG

IMG_0668.JPEG

I'd 1st remove the bolts in the clamps that are going across the top of the springs. It's hard to see in the pics, I think id remove the 3rd spring from the bottom. Do the rears 1st and drive it. You might not have to do anything to the frt. I'd hold on to what you remove.

Top pic looks like 3rd from top is clean

Same with second pic

3 and 5.

Toss em
Thanks for the input, I may start with only removing the 3rd on each, check ride height (have 34 x 10 5 tires) and ride. If noticeably different will stay that way, if still stiff but have not lost much height, may try removing the 5th leaf and check again. Only labor involved, no $$ (which I like to do) so what the heck. Thanks again.

Thanks for the input, I may start with only removing the 3rd on each, check ride height (have 34 x 10 5 tires) and ride. If noticeably different will stay that way, if still stiff but have not lost much height, may try removing the 5th leaf and check again. Only labor involved, no $$ (which I like to do) so what the heck. Thanks again.
For the record I just removed a 4” HFS kit and installed 2.5” light Dobinson on a 40. Same tires as you. The tires may be called 34’s but they are sub 33” when measured. Don’t worry about too little lift. Remove what you can while in there.

IMG_3412.jpeg

How are your shackle angles with the dobinson kit?
Straight up. That’s the way they are designed. Multiple thin arched leaves. They don’t rely only on the shackle to be the “flex”. They work together.

Since I will be removing the leaf springs, should I replace the bushings? Man a fre shows replacements for many spring manufacturers but not for the HFS springs, does anyone know what bushings will fit HFS? also are their better bushings than others? Edit: found the HFS bushings on the CCOT website.

Finally, since removed, what's the opinion of others in installing the BTB shackle reversal kit? it's my understanding that the BTB's are part of Man a fre and do not add any additional height when welded to front of frame. If I do, would I need different rear shackles or do I just use the front ones in the rear position? I'm already using the U bolt flip kit.

Last edited:
Always replace the bushings. They should be standard 40 series bushings. I prefer rubber over poly.

By the way I just took the 40 out with the new Dobinsons that I replaced the HFS with. Rides like butter.

IMG_3589.jpeg

I was really happy with my skyjackers right out of the box. Much better than the rough country I had before. I think they are closer to 2 than 2.5 or 3 inch lift though. If your fronts are OK (mine were not bad with a bumper and winch) you could probably just swap the rears. Not much going on back there, especially with the top off. (I put a soft KYB shock in the back too)

Always replace the bushings. They should be standard 40 series bushings. I prefer rubber over poly.

By the way I just took the 40 out with the new Dobinsons that I replaced the HFS with. Rides like butter.

View attachment 3396085
Good to hear, I may need to look into those springs. Any opinions on doing the shackle reversal? looks to be allot of work but would do if it is worth the effort and cost.

I was really happy with my skyjackers right out of the box. Much better than the rough country I had before. I think they are closer to 2 than 2.5 or 3 inch lift though. If your fronts are OK (mine were not bad with a bumper and winch) you could probably just swap the rears. Not much going on back there, especially with the top off. (I put a soft KYB shock in the back too)
Good idea, although I may not find new springs that match the height of existing front, but I will try the leaf removal on rear (much easier to work on anyways) then go for test ride. If not too much work, may try removing 1 spring, test ride and check height, then remove the second spring and test drive again. I too have a 9000 lb winch on front but from my understanding, the SBC 350 may weigh less than the original 6.

I wouldn't do a shackle revesal. Too much work and money for no real benefit.
Remove the bolts on the clamps and allow the leaves flex and remove a leaf. Cheap and easy.

Good to hear, I may need to look into those springs. Any opinions on doing the shackle reversal? looks to be allot of work but would do if it is worth the effort and cost.
I am very opposed to shackle reversals

wngrog & pb4ugo, Thank you both for your input. I now have a plan.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom