Old Man Knox Build (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

blossett

SILVER Star
Threads
Wanted to introduce myself, name is Brent, in 2007 I bought my first LC. A 2001 that was a member of the family till about a month ago. After 10 years it was time for an upgrade and we found a 2013 in Florida that was just what we were looking for. I had been telling the wife that I wanted a project truck for years and when we sold the 2001 she suggested the I could use the funds to buy a project to work on! I wasted no time and picked up a 76 fj40 restomod from @Subterranean Nik before she changed her mind! It's a sbc 327 conversion that is SOA. A lot is already done. The PO did a great job with the sbc conversion, power steering conversion, front axle disc brakes and Aussie locker. From the seats forward there is very little rust, but from the seats back is a different story. A lot of rust has been cutout already. I will need to replace the rear sill, the rear fender tops, and replacing a bunch of spots in the bed area. first things first will be to get it street legal. Currently no exhaust, no gauges working, no rear harness, rear disc brake conversion needs install, no working horn and no side mirrors. I would love to do a frame off restoration, but I just can't bring myself to tear it down for several years after waiting so long to own one. So a rolling resto it will be! Over the years I have been thoroughly impressed with the knowledge, experience and camaraderie ( thank you spell check!) that I have seen on this forum and am looking forward to sharing this build with everyone!

IMG_0719.JPG

IMG_0720.JPG

IMG_0721.JPG

Wanted to introduce myself, name is Brent, in 2007 I bought my first LC. A 2001 that was a member of the family till about a month ago. After 10 years it was time for an upgrade and we found a 2013 in Florida that was just what we were looking for. I had been telling the wife that I wanted a project truck for years and when we sold the 2001 she suggested the I could use the funds to buy a project to work on! I wasted no time and picked up a 76 fj40 restomod from @Subterranean Nik before she changed her mind! It's a sbc 327 conversion that is SOA. A lot is already done. The PO did a great job with the sbc conversion, power steering conversion, front axle disc brakes and Aussie locker. From the seats forward there is very little rust, but from the seats back is a different story. A lot of rust has been cutout already. I will need to replace the rear sill, the rear fender tops, and replacing a bunch of spots in the bed area. first things first will be to get it street legal. Currently no exhaust, no gauges working, no rear harness, rear disc brake conversion needs install, no working horn and no side mirrors. I would love to do a frame off restoration, but I just can't bring myself to tear it down for several years after waiting so long to own one. So a rolling resto it will be! Over the years I have been thoroughly impressed with the knowledge, experience and camaraderie ( thank you spell check!) that I have seen on this forum and am looking forward to sharing this build with everyone!

View attachment 1424886

View attachment 1424887

View attachment 1424888

Awesome looking rig. If I ever do another it will be a rolling resto. I'm over 2 years into my frame off and have never driven it. Welcome to the 40 section.

Last edited:
I'm over 2 years into my frame off and havery never driven it.

:rofl::flipoff2:

I feel your pain, at least I got to drive mine for a few years before I tore into mine!

Awesome looking rig. If I ever do another it will be a rolling resto. I'm over 2 years into my frame off and havery never driven it. Welcome to the 40 section.

I have a buddy that welds and he offered up his millermatic and a promised lessons. I haven't welded since stick welding in high school shop in 1985!

been watching a bunch of videos. Gotta get 220 wired into the garage for the welder. Sux he didn't have a 110 model. Already picked up ccot rear sill and quarters. Let the beatings begin!

been watching a bunch of videos. Gotta get 220 wired into the garage for the welder. Sux he didn't have a 110 model. Already picked up ccot rear sill and quarters. Let the beatings begin!

Post lots of pics. The experts will chime in. Try to plan your work and work the plan or it can get expensive and/or out of control pretty quickly.

Good advice thanks!

I am also without shocks. Is there a standard length for SOA conversions on a 40? Or do I need to articulate and measure for extended length?

@bottombracket donated a set of stock springs to replace mine. One pack has a missing spring that was replaced with a pitifully cut out piece of metal. In looking closer today, the good spring side has u bolts that are too short. On the bad side at least they replaced the u bolts with longer ones. When I swap out the spring packs I'll need to source new u bolts that fit. I will be doing a rear Disc brake conversion soon so I'll likely throw that project in the mix.

IMG_0450.JPG

IMG_0451.JPG

Great to meet you! Let's see where this build goes! I'll be watching the welding evolution because I'm in line for a rust fix coming up.

IMG_0506.JPG
What the best way to get the old spring bushings out. I think I read somewhere to just use a torch and burn em out?

I burned mine with a torch until I got scared I would burn down the house, then I drilled them out with the largest drill bit that would fit.

Lol, maybe I'll drill first then torch what's left!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom