Old days at Paragon (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

The pond was fun Gary! Had I not seen Joe drive through it I would have never done it! I love the water, but prefer the clear water!

I only have one or two pics of going through that that day....if anyone has any post them up, I'd love to see them.

Water was good until it hit the level of the side vents I had open at the time. Was pretty deep with a 3 inch lift and 35 inch tires and the water coming in the side vents!

Door seals held up good....now Joe, I remember his son opening the back door of the pig and water draining out more than I had gotten in the truck.

A lot or a little it still was a horrible smell that took a while to go away!

Lots of fun!

'00 and '01 CMCC

az03.jpg
az23.jpg
ls01.jpg
MF12.jpg
PYP_CAZ1.jpg

Last edited:
Wow. A blast from the past. That first shot of the orange 40 with boggers is Rich Tyler who passed away some years back. That was the breakover on Rattler. Mike Fox on Voodoo, my all time favorite trail. And a great shot of Bud. Damn. Now I've got to post some of mine.

The big green 40 was Ken "I'm not your momma" Johansen. He was the original trail guide that brought me to Paragon in 1999 when Reid Block owned the land. Reid drove a Rover and always had a shotgun with him.
Mustard 40 is Nick Jennings i think. It might not be him in the picture but I'm pretty sure he owned that truck at one point ;)
Not sure about the other 2.

Damn, I miss that place. I remember it taking a good hour to make it from the staging area down to the start of Voodoo. Makes Rausch look like a little playground.

jimLange1_cmcc.jpg
kinaSpotJim_cmcc.jpg
roger_t_cmcc.jpg
TT2.jpg
TT5.jpg

This last pic is of a power line trail that was closed very early on... this pic is from the very first CMCC.... sometimes referred to as the Jon Held Invitational.

The YJ is SteveO - he was also a guide and worked with Rich.

The guy in the photo with Mike Fox is John Merkey.

You are correct on the yellow Cruiser - Nick Jennings.

I believe I heard that Ken has also passed?

Mark, I only recognize Mike Stevens in your pictures!

I don't know what year it was, but my first trip to the park Reid guided, and we camped in the park! We got to go up/down all of the power line trails - my seat was quite puckered by the end!

Last edited:
I found some pictures from my first trip - looks like it was August of '98 if the dates are correct!

Tan Cruiser is Dan Schein
Blue minitruck is Tony Dimemmo
All I remember about the kid in the lead on the pipeline trail is that it was his first wheeling trip and he was from Flemington, NJ

I think it was the Keystone Cruiser crew.

DanJP006.jpg
DanJP007 (2).jpg
DanJP012.jpg
jeffparagon.jpg
pg14.jpg

Last edited:
OK, the first pic is Mark coming out of Wampum. Almost every body panel is straight and rust free, running almost bald radial Swampers.
Alvero Rodreguez in his carburated 1FZ 80, later to be completely exoe'd.
Brian O'Laughlin's old diesel 40.
Some white 80 on Wampum. Big guy, snored REALLY loud, can't remember his name. Buddies with Scott Simmons.
Joe Miley's FJ55
Me and Mike Stevens on Q. Had to be 2004. Swampers and no IPOR bumper.
Jim Lange's Chevota.
Keena spotting Jim Lange through the hard left exit out of Wampum.
Not sure about the red 40.
That tan 40 in the last pic is Bill Fiora. One of the GCLC originals and started Yankee Toys in '99.

I found some pictures from my first trip - looks like it was August of '98 if the dates are correct!

Tan Cruiser is Dan Schein
Blue minitruck is Tony Dimemmo
All I remember about the kid in the lead on the pipeline trail is that it was his first wheeling trip and he was from Flemington, NJ

I think it was the Keystone Cruiser crew.
I remember that pipeline trail. I ran it in the winter with some Jeep folks from OK4WD in Jersey. I had HUGE 32x10.50 BFG ATs and I was with my son Josh who was probably 5 at the time. I cut a sidewall and they drove away while I was changing a tire. I had to find my way out of the park with a hand drawn map. I will NEVER leave anyone alone on the trail. That was a horrible feeling.

Jim Lange's Chevota.
Keena spotting Jim Lange through the hard left exit out of Wampum.
Not sure about the red 40.
Actually, I think, that is the trail that was across the road from the exit from the top side of Whompum... nasty trail. The red 40 is Roger Thurerer (sp)
And that first pic of me is coming down off of one of the trails up above the coal road near Q. This is just as it drops down to the coal road.

Actually, I think, that is the trail that was across the road from the exit from the top side of Whompum... nasty trail.
Nope. You are old and crusty and don't remember. Wampum had a fork before the end of the first half of the trail. Right was the easy way with a series of large slabs you had to crawl over, and the left fork which was a nasty rock garden. I got stuck in there once with my truck almost laying down on the passenger side. Then you cross the road, go up and to the left and try to get your left front on the giant slab. The to the right across the rock crevasse. Then it turned into soft mossy soil and exited down a steep hill which is where you are in that picture. We had all run Wampum together and Jim wanted more of a challenge. Keena was with us in a blue 60 IIRC.
Of course I may be combining every trip to Paragon into 1 at this point ;)

Old and crusty? Bite me....

Kina and Jim are on the trail AFTER Whompum, back across the road, I'm pretty sure. Trail 6 on this map I think:

attachment.php

Last edited:
Good times, thanks for thepics.

Came across two printed out computer pictures from 2004 from my first time wheeling in Pennsylvania at Paragon. This was a Tacoma territory meet and I had my black 99 5 speed Trd Offroad complete with front bumper mounted rod rack!

IMG_1180.jpeg

IMG_1178.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom