Off Road Trailer / Base Camp - The light way (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

More spec's:

Removable ball hitch for replacement multi-axis coupler for off road angles greater then 25°

~21 cu/ft of inside dry lockable storage. Still accessible with tent open.
thumb.gif

Above zippered soft storage

trailer5.JPG
trailer6.JPG
trailer7.JPG

Looks good. Did you even notice it back there on the trails? How does it track on the sharper turns? Does it stay within the tracks of the 80? John

Looks good. Did you even notice it back there on the trails? How does it track on the sharper turns? Does it stay within the tracks of the 80? John

If the 80 clears it the trailer will also no matter what you try as long as you dont back up. You can do circles and not notice any track gain or loss.

Good deal. I was always worried that if the trailer tongue was too long it would result in the trailer making a sharper turning radius than the tow rig. Guess I need to get mine finished some year. John

Good deal. I was always worried that if the trailer tongue was too long it would result in the trailer making a sharper turning radius than the tow rig. Guess I need to get mine finished some year. John

Its called "low speed off tracking" I looked at info for design and quickly got a huge headache.

It based on:
tow vehicle wheel base
tow vehicle track
distance from tow vehicle rear axle to receiver pivot
distance from receiver pivot to trailers axle
trailer track
maybe some more that I don't remember

Then input the info in a formula I didn't understand :rolleyes:

In the end the truth is I designed to my needs and the tub. It works great only by luck.:D

Does it have a 2,000 lb. axel and steel frame? Would an aluminium frame and box save much weight or be worth the effort?
I would go for something like this rather than those heavy military trailers everyone up here is getting. When crossed up those military trailers are major work to straighten out/detach or turn around on a single wide dead-end.
I would like a simple brake to aid in manually moving it or keeping stationary on slopes for emergency/temporary detachment - maybe chock blocks would suffice - if within arm's reach to deploy.
Would the fuel penalty be less than a RTT?

Lookin' good there Phil ...

Does it have a 2,000 lb. axle and steel frame? Would an aluminum frame and box save much weight or be worth the effort?
I would go for something like this rather than those heavy military trailers everyone up here is getting. When crossed up those military trailers are major work to straighten out/detach or turn around on a single wide dead-end.
I would like a simple brake to aid in manually moving it or keeping stationary on slopes for emergency/temporary detachment - maybe chock blocks would suffice - if within arm's reach to deploy.
Would the fuel penalty be less than a RTT?

Lookin' good there Phil ...

Weight was #1 on the design list. No official weight but if I was to guess, loaded I'm under #600 lbs:cool:

Axle is a Dexter torsion rated 600-1000lbs and is progressive rated - trailer seems to ride excellent on 30+ miles of wash board.

Frame is steel with several sizes and thickness based on application

The box/tub is fiberglass the combo of the box and tent is ~150 lbs

An aluminum frame was not an option mainly if breakage was every to happen. Difficult for a field repair. The weight saving was not that great, double the size of steel for the same rating. Also I'm not equipped for welding aluminum.

The trailers ability to go 90° is huge. Im able to line up the rake with my mirrors without getting out and no worry about binding into my LC. I can turn around on a 28' wide road or back up if I'm short on a turn.

I checked my mileage on my return testing trip and I was down .6 mpg. Excellent when you consider I pulled every hill at 65 MPH (4100rpm's:D) with a AC on at 110°+. I did reach 200° water temp at the top:flipoff2:

I get the same MPG with our 100 series with a 88lb RTT as with our 1250lb popup trailer. Also at 80 mph you get pushed around more with a RTT.

Where did you get the box/tub? Is it custom made? Are you happy with the durability so far of the fiberglass?

you ask about durability after, like, 3 weeks ? :lol:

Where did you get the box/tub? Is it custom made? Are you happy with the durability so far of the fiberglass?

I think the tub is from a different trailer and already close to 20 years old and has thousands of highway miles. Time will tell in off road conditions, it seems so well built I doubt there will be much wear at all.

Cool. Just picked up a M762 (flatbed M416) so I'm looking for ideas.

I think the tub is from a different trailer and already close to 20 years old and has thousands of highway miles. Time will tell in off road conditions, it seems so well built I doubt there will be much wear at all.

Saddletramp is correct I purchased the tub/trailer from the original owner of 20 years, #00092 off the assembly line. The setup has been to Alaska twice along with most of the states, spending over 300 nights inside. The owner did several upgrades to the tent including super smooth oversize zippers and 150sq/ft of awnings. As of now it has no damage or cracks in the tub.

A friend of mine has a similar setup that has logged over 5000+ offroad mile along 10000+ road miles. Still to this day it is in great shape and remains watertight.

patventurcraft.JPG

what, you wheel with Jeeps :confused:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom